Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia C5-00 GPS question

Options
  • 04-06-2011 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Wife got a Nokia C5-00 phone the other day from O2.

Guy in the shop told us that it has GPS on it. My understanding from his explanation is that this works like a normal GPS and there is no charge for this. When I asked is it free to use in the UK or the rest of EU he said it's only free in Ireland.

I'm a bit confused by this. If the GPS works like a normal GPS how can it be free to use in Ireland and yet there is a charge to use it outside Ireland ?

All advise greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Are you sure turning AGPS off stops data usage? I thought there was a network setting that needs to be turned off for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

snaps wrote: »
    Are you sure turning AGPS off stops data usage? I thought there was a network setting that needs to be turned off for that?

It can be turned off, forget how. If in doubt, when using Ovi Maps on the phone, there is a small display at the bottom right showing data usage for the current session. If this is non-zero, you haven't turned data off properly - best to get it sorted & tested before you travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

when usin ovi maps go to settings>connection,and set to offline:)

• Advertisement

With A-GPS off it can take several minutes to lock, or at least my N86 did. I used Ovi Maps in Northern Ireland a few times and remembered getting a roaming warning when I started it up, I was then given the choice of whether to use data or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

as long as you set it to offline, an turn off agps.you will not be charged.
    now i cant remember were,but that is a warning that can be turned off
    too.im using a beta map atm,and i cant remember were to go to
    turn that warning off,but it is only a warning.yea once you set it
    to offline i think that should be turned off.
    (but it doesnt)

side note: zoom out of the map an zoom in on
    the area that you are in and then hit " my position"
    (the red button on the top left of the screen)
    and it will find you faster.:)

im using an n8 just to be clear

Advertisement