Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT

Options
  • 04-06-2011 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

I realise its charged on everything, but when do a phone company charge 21 percent and a electricity company charge 13.5%?
    Can someone please tell me they are both service providers so should they not be under same bracket

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

booboo88 wrote: »
    I realise its charged on everything, but when do a phone company charge 21 percent and a electricity company charge 13.5%?
    Can someone please tell me they are both service providers so should they not be under same bracket
    A Phone is seen as a luxury and as such incurs a higher/the highest rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Even a house phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

foggy_lad wrote: »

Getting an african foot massage from donegal virgins in a swanky hotel in Cavan is a luxury but that only attracts the low rate as it's a service.

Not sure if you could class a phone service in this day an age a luxury. Maybe it's time it was reviewed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Getting an african foot massage from donegal virgins in a swanky hotel in Cavan is a luxury but that only attracts the low rate as it's a service.

Not sure if you could class a phone service in this day an age a luxury. Maybe it's time it was reviewed?

Which Hotel in Cavan does that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Even a house phone?

I think you should just count yourself lucky that electricity, gas and oil aren't charged at 21%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

greendom wrote: »
    I think you should just count yourself lucky that electricity, gas and oil aren't charged at 21%.
    Dont worry I'm not complaining about the low one, was just curious as to why, if its a service, as are all the above, is it being charged higher,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dont worry I'm not complaining about the low one, was just curious as to why, if its a service, as are all the above, is it being charged higher,

It's probably a legacy issue - when vat rates were first set up phones were a luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

21% is the standard rate of vat in Ireland
    13.5% is the reduced rate and is applied to various services along with electricity, home heating oil and other products.
    A new 9% special reduced rate comes into effect on July 1st and will apply to tourist related and labour intensive services.

Advertisement