Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noctilucent Clouds

Options
  • 04-06-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

The NLC season has begun. For the past few nights, observers across northern Europe have spotted velvety, electric-blue tendrils rippling across the sunset sky. Haven't seen them yet but image is from Derry, c/o www.nightskyhunter.com www.spaceweather.comMartin-McKenna-3_1307067764_med.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I always love these few weeks for the NLC season,seen some lovely ones in recent years,although sadly they dont come out great in any pics i take of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember often seeing these clouds in the early hours of the morning in years gone by, but had no idea what they were called until recently. By the way, why do they only occur during the Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

why do they only occur during the Summer?

They're not visible in daylight, only in twilight skies so the summer months of June and July, when the sun sits 6-16 degrees below the horizon provide the best opportunity for viewing them.

Actually, the coming weeks either side of the summer solstice are peak viewing time if the weather plays nice

Nice video from Aberdeen for those who haven't seen them

This is a brilliant audio slideshow on Noctilucent Clouds from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10635796

The silver and blue waves on the edge of space that light up the night skies each summer.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Anyone still up? Look low on the horizon to the north. Looks very like noctilucent clouds. Also watch out for the ISS at 1.52, headin west to east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I was out on Friday and Saturday nights in Limerick, and I could see no sign of nontilucent clouds when I went looking for them ~01.30-02.00.

Popoutman wrote: »
    I was out on Friday and Saturday nights in Limerick, and I could see no sign of nontilucent clouds when I went looking for them ~01.30-02.00.

This is a link to the Noctilucent Cloud Observers home page which has some really good advice on where to look and how to record your sightings.
    It's often just a matter of timing but there are several weeks ahead yet when it will be possible to see them so hopefully you'll have better luck next time.:)

Latest sightings are reported here and here and they also have an early warning thread on their forum

This photo was taken in the west of Ireland on Sat 11th June

© Ronan Newman
    Noc2.jpg

Popoutman wrote: »

I had a look few other nights and seen nothing so its just a case of good weather and patience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Couple of weeks ago took this pic which i'm not sure are Noctilucent clouds. Maybe someone in the know will verify yes or no.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/dsc02882i.jpg/#

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Couple of weeks ago took this pic which i'm not sure are Noctilucent clouds. Maybe someone in the know will verify yes or no.

No they're not NLC's. NLC's generally have an electric blue colour or white; and from your photo ( I may be mistaken on this) it looks a little bit too early in the evening to start observing them. Keep looking though.

• Advertisement

They look like illuminated tropospheric clouds to me and not the noctilucent variety. Nice pic though :)

I've attached a PDF copy of the guide I use myself, you might find it useful as well.

The IAGA have very kindly made it available as a free download

Just had a look out and looks like noctilucent clouds in the sky lookin north. But not 100% sure if its them

lolie wrote: »
    Just had a look out and looks like noctilucent clouds in the sky lookin north. But not 100% sure if its them

I think you might be right, but unfortunately I'm further south there is a rotten bank of cloud obscuring my view of the lowest part of the northern horizon so I'm only getting a partial glimpse of whats going on.

There are reports of sightings coming in from Hungary tonight so if skies stay clear where you are you could get lucky! :)

Had another look out and i'd say it definitely is them, starting to fade a bit now though.

Just back in after a great nights viewing. Lunar eclipse, ISS flyby (another at 1.18am) and NLC. Yes there was a bank of NLC's tonight. So Lolie you did see them

Thanks for the heads up earlier :D
    I've been watching them for the last 45mins or so :)

5837412521_e7c98449b2.jpg
    Tonight over Letterkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Saw them earlier as well looking over the Atlantic on the north coast, lovely night with the full moon to the south as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I saw them at around 1am. They weren't as good as previous years, though. Still there is plenty of time left yet to see a better display.

I saw them at around 1am. They weren't as good as previous years, though. Still there is plenty of time left yet to see a better display.

Seen better as well, but still anything is more fascinating than nothing. The combination of the eclipse, ISS and the NLC's made for an overall very satisfactory night's viewing. As you say still plenty of time left for better NLC displays so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

muckish wrote: »
    The combination of the eclipse, ISS and the NLC's made for an overall very satisfactory night's viewing.

It was a great little celestial cocktail alright & thanks again to Lolie otherwise I would have missed last night's display and to yourself for the great pics :)

muckish get your camera out. Nice display of them out tonight, seem to have faded a bit though

Missed it last night Lolie. Might keep an eye out tonight if the skies remain cloud free. cheers. Must charge up the camera batteries just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Anyone else seeing the amazing display now? It will be getting light soon though :(

Im seeing them here in Lucan :)

Caught snatches and glimpses of them until it completely clouded over around 1am. It sure was a fantastic display :)

fast asleep unfortunately. any photos?

muckish wrote: »
    fast asleep unfortunately. any photos?

Given the cloud cover situation over Galway last night I didn't get the best view but it was an amazing display from the short glimpses I did get.
    I didn't get any photos worth sharing but there are some good images/time lapses from last night here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some great images taken from Dublin last night here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice conditions tonight might get some viewing in later on.

Advertisement