Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noctilucent Clouds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Nice conditions tonight might get some viewing in later on.

There's a faint display at the moment - going to head out of town & away from the lights to have a proper look in a mo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This staying up late is hard when being up at 8 this morning! :(... Hope its worth it! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There's a good display of them now. There fairly bright too. Spotted them again here:
    snap.jpg
    snap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

A beautiful display last night around 1.30am, through the cloud cover.
    5896616252_73522c02b9.jpg

5896616810_3670ee27a9.jpg

5896617028_d07df0d5a5.jpg

5896046947_1bcc7a9b65.jpg

5896047483_19a10f25ae.jpg

Stunning pics again Muckish - you captured them brilliantly :)

Have a look at this taken under clear skies in Fife last night - amazing !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Fionagus wrote: »
    Stunning pics again Muckish - you captured them brilliantly :)

Have a look at this taken under clear skies in Fife last night - amazing !!

That's stunning! I think I'll have to knock out the rest of the streetlights in the estate to get a good view.

muckish wrote: »
    A beautiful display last night around 1.30am, through the cloud cover.

Great pics pal.. is ther an exposure on those shots?

How is it bright at the time????

I tot ya only get to see them after sunset and b4 dawn no?.... confused :confused:

Couldnt see anything around here, mainly coz of the lights around i presume.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Couldnt see anything around here

Sorry you missed them Ian :(
    I posted a viewing guide a few pages back. You might find a few useful tips in there.
    Theres still a few weeks to go in the season so better luck next time

Fionagus wrote: »
    Sorry you missed them Ian :(
    I posted a viewing guide a few pages back. You might find a few useful tips in there.
    Theres still a few weeks to go in the season so better luck next time

Thanks, ill be trying again tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Saw them from wexford at about 2.30 last night. Really was a stunning display! Hoping for more of the same tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Bob Conway on TodayFM saw them last night, he didn't know what they were, I wouldn't have either except I do learn things on this forum, so I informed him they were noctilucent clouds and it was read out on the radio.

Min wrote: »
    Bob Conway on TodayFM saw them last night, he didn't know what they were, I wouldn't have either except I do learn things on this forum, so I informed him they were noctilucent clouds and it was read out on the radio.

haha cool!, what time was that at?, id like to hear it back see what he was saying abouts them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Iancar29 wrote: »
    haha cool!, what time was that at?, id like to hear it back see what he was saying abouts them :)

Between 7:10am and 7:30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

noctilucent-1.jpg

noctilucent-2.jpg

noctilucent-3.jpg

Great shots Tricky!

What time was that at and where abouts? :)

They are truly excellent shots :cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cheers
    2:50 ish this morning from Howth.

Was experimenting with lots of settings and wanted to get more shots without so much noise but the batteries died.

My favourite is the 2nd pic. Lots of detail of when they were at their brightest. It's just a great pic :cool:.

Camera setting were iso 400, 2" exposure @ f4.0. Shot in RAW and exposure boosted a wee bit afterwards.

I have found recently that have been quite low on the horizon, so I couldn't see them from my back garden initially. I have a viewing point which is about 150m asl and has a good view to the north (use the same spot for aurora spotting). It's also dark and away from the town. So i'd recommend you get away from the urban lights and get up high. Though saying that looks like Howth had a great show last night. Great pics. Hopefully the night skies will clear tonight and there'll be another show.

The recommended time is 30-60 mins after sunset. I think this is very misleading as sunset here in Donegal is around 22:10, but they seem to be performing between 1-3am. The northern sky was still bright last night at 1.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Saw them last night as well around 1.30am, best I've seen all summer so far

• Advertisement

Some nice cirrus uncincus where i am now .. :)

I noticed them earlier too, hooked cirus.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I noticed them earlier too, hooked cirus.

Yep, thats the uncincus part :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Great display again tonight if I'm not mistaken, the north sky is unusually bright tonight and from my window it looks to be illuminated by noctilucent clouds

There was a faint glimmer of them through the clouds last night from what I could see. Hopefully with the HP the skies will remain clear for a decent display.

NLC's from the night of the 11/12th. Seen from Rosbeg.
    5952347732_fffd48b235.jpg

5951792547_2717c11c33.jpg

There are reports of intense NLC's being seen in Norway tonight. Might be worth keeping an eye out on the sky. Going to head out now for a while and see if there are any about. Photos later hopefully.

Nothing last night when I got to the viewing point. Clouds had rolled in.

Nice timelapse from Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looks very promising tonight, hard to tell with interference from street lights!

• Advertisement

Great pinky sky at sunset and looked like it could clear up. Who knows though.:confused:

Advertisement