Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Cable Modem that works with UPC

Options
  • 04-06-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I went into Peats a few weeks back and asked for a wireless cable modem that will work with UPC internet connections. On their recommendation I bought one for €50. Got it home but then went on holidays and didn't try it till a week later. Bloody thing doesn't work with UPC (that's them telling me) and I cannot find the receipt to return it :mad:

So Im looking for a heads up on something cheap....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

leave the upc one and daisy chain any wifi router to it, you just disable DHCP on the wifi router, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

if you paid by visa or debit card that should be enough for proof of purchase I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

What brand is it? I may be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah I was so sure that it was the right one I was careless with the receipt and lost it , after paying cash :mad:

In fairness I asked the guy behind the counter specifically for a wireless cable modem that would work with UPC and what he gave me don't work.

Anyway would appreciate it if someone could explain what kind of router would be suitable for daisy chaining it ? Is a cable connection on them pretty standard?

Kintaro - the brand name on the wireless modem is EDIMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

RATM wrote: »
    Kintaro - the brand name on the wireless modem is EDIMAX.

Would you be able to pop into the Parnell Street branch? If so, send me a PM and we'll arrange a time and day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Would you be able to pop into the Parnell Street branch? If so, send me a PM and we'll arrange a time and day.

PM sent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭ozmo

RATM wrote: »
    the brand name on the wireless modem is EDIMAX.

I have one of them - and it works fine with UPC. Edimax BR-632nL

You need keep the UPC cable modem of course (I have the small one with no wifi built in) - then connect that to the Edimax via a network cable.

Didnt have great results with Wifi on the Edimax though - was too unreliable for for desktop PC - so ended-up running long cable and using wifi for mobile phones etc to access.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Bah i just left a upc router in my rented house last week when i moved out

Advertisement