Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Usage Cap Limits?

Options
  • 04-06-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Hello. I recently switched from Vodafone to Eircom. When I switched I was told there was 'unlimited usage' with the package, of course the *subject to terms and conditions' was in small print.

This under the table limit on unlimited usage is a bit dodgy, but does seem to be the norm in Ireland today, but thats not why I am posting.

I am posting as the terms until recently said people with a 24 meg connection had 250 gig limit under the TOS. I logged on to the 'new' interface today and found that has now dropped down to 75 gigs.

Really? A 24 meg connection with a 75 gig cap? The reason I left Vodafone was they started strictly enforcing their 100 gigs. Eircom offered 20 gigs more for about the same price which is why I switched. Now ye too have again pulled a bait and switch and dropped the caps after people have switched over.

Here is a screenshot from when I switched:

78471667.png

Here is a screenshot from the new dashboard today:

eircom1.jpg

Are you telling me in the few weeks since I switched Eircom has already dropped their usage limit by over 2/3rds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Nope...just checked. My limit on both the 'old' as well as 'new' site remain at 'Unlimited' (subject to yada yada yada....)

I think the diffrence comes in because there are 2 different packages. The 24Mb package is capped at 75Gb and unlimited uploads.
    The 24Mb NGB package is unlimited (with the usual provisions), but takes into account both upload and downloads.

I was already on 24Mb and in Dec 2010, I got a letter from Eircom offering the free 'upgrade', with no contract extension or other clauses (yes, I kept the letter), to the NGB package.
    I was happy with the 17Mb I was getting but was feeling a little tight with the 75Gb limit, I opted to accept the 'upgrade'.
    TBH, great move. Very happy with the speed, the reliability....and the 'limit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

CptSternn wrote: »
    Hello. I recently switched from Vodafone to Eircom. When I switched I was told there was 'unlimited usage' with the package, of course the *subject to terms and conditions' was in small print.

This under the table limit on unlimited usage is a bit dodgy, but does seem to be the norm in Ireland today, but thats not why I am posting.

I am posting as the terms until recently said people with a 24 meg connection had 250 gig limit under the TOS. I logged on to the 'new' interface today and found that has now dropped down to 75 gigs.

Really? A 24 meg connection with a 75 gig cap? The reason I left Vodafone was they started strictly enforcing their 100 gigs. Eircom offered 20 gigs more for about the same price which is why I switched. Now ye too have again pulled a bait and switch and dropped the caps after people have switched over.

Here is a screenshot from when I switched:

78471667.png

Here is a screenshot from the new dashboard today:

eircom1.jpg

Are you telling me in the few weeks since I switched Eircom has already dropped their usage limit by over 2/3rds?

Hi CptSternn,

Italia is spot on :) , which usage meter are you checking? If you send on your telephone number I can confirm the usage on your current package.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I rang today and got it sorted.

The unlimited 24meg package is only for Next Generation users. I signed up for that, but for some reason I was on the 'Broadband Home Turbo' package, which is also 24 megs but costs more and has a 75 gig transfer limit.

They switched me over to the correct package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

CptSternn wrote: »
    I rang today and got it sorted.

The unlimited 24meg package is only for Next Generation users. I signed up for that, but for some reason I was on the 'Broadband Home Turbo' package, which is also 24 megs but costs more and has a 75 gig transfer limit.

They switched me over to the correct package.

Hi CptSternn,

Ok, glad you got it sorted and thanks for getting back to me :)

if you have any queries in the future let us know.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Hi Mark, I also have this problem except when I rang customer care neither the billing or broadband support departments knew what to do and passed me back between each other so I gave up.

Incidentally according to eircom.net the "non next gen" standard 24mb package does not have 75G transfer limit, it is also "unlimited" with a 250Gb "fair usage limit". Thus I am very concerned at mine showing a mere 75G limit when I signed up for something with a 250Mb fair usage limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

BigMoose wrote: »
    Hi Mark, I also have this problem except when I rang customer care neither the billing or broadband support departments knew what to do and passed me back between each other so I gave up.

Incidentally according to eircom.net the "non next gen" standard 24mb package does not have 75G transfer limit, it is also "unlimited" with a 250Gb "fair usage limit". Thus I am very concerned at mine showing a mere 75G limit when I signed up for something with a 250Mb fair usage limit.

Hi BigMoose
    if you PM me your tel no I can advise you of your limit, and provide some clarity here.. I hope.
    Tony

PM sent, thanks!

Many thanks to Tony for sorting this out :)

Advertisement