Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with this post....

Options
  • 04-06-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72577020&postcount=67

Why was this post given a yellow card? If you read through the entire thread you can see that the poster (who has basically dedicated his entire life to a sport he loves) had his moral character brought into question and was accused of "cheating" and "sandbagging". I think he has every right to be angry about it and the post reflects that. So why was he infracted for it?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I just skimmed the post, don't really understand the sport he's talking about but
    you arseholes

is seen as abuse and probably why he got the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yup.. its the "you arseholes" bit that got him the yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kiad wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72577020&postcount=67

Why was this post given a yellow card? If you read through the entire thread you can see that the poster (who has basically dedicated his entire life to a sport he loves) had his moral character brought into question and was accused of "cheating" and "sandbagging". I think he has every right to be angry about it and the post reflects that. So why was he infracted for it?

Hmmmm. What's "sandbagging", might I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Normally I would say it's not doing your best when you are competing against someone that's at a lower level and you should beat comfortably.

In the case of the thread, it seems to be used to infer that someone entered a competition that was below his level in order to get the win. (Not saying this is what happened.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

With ye. Ty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

so its grand for people to start bringing a guys moral fibre, honour and respect for his sport and lifestyle into disrepute but when he casually adds in a 'you arseholes' (wont someone please think of the children....) to a reply that pretty much sh1ts on any point ppl have made against him, he gets a yellow card.

great to know the mods policy on that. i wasnt sure what to do, in future ill let people walk all over me and my lifestyle and hope some mod on the internet will sort it out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Jazzy wrote: »
    so its grand for people to start bringing a guys moral fibre, honour and respect for his sport and lifestyle into disrepute but when he casually adds in a 'you arseholes' (wont someone please think of the children....) to a reply that pretty much sh1ts on any point ppl have made against him, he gets a yellow card.

great to know the mods policy on that. i wasnt sure what to do, in future ill let people walk all over me and my lifestyle and hope some mod on the internet will sort it out
    It has always been the policy of attack the post not the poster on boards as long as I can remember and I find it a bit odd that someone with over 6k posts is not aware of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

No Jazzy, its not grand for anyone to bring someones moral fibre into "disprepute" but the poster is entitled to defend himself, to which i think he did, but to refer to the rest of the forum or any section of it as "arseholes" you will get infracted, or banned, its rather simple. Its always better to avoid it, but if you do feel you need to go on the offensive there are better ways of wording what you want to say to them without use of profanities - i find it actually has more effect than simple F U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

no, it's the way this site has gone in the last 18 months.

one sniff of a "bad word" and you are automatically in the wrong.

the guy was being trolled, he reacted, and now he's the bad guy.

the powers that be on this site don't want to deal with low-level trolls, they'd rather infract and ban people who use bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You can defend yourself without resorting to name calling. It was the lowest reprimand possible by the mod so this shows that in context it wasn't overly bad.

The low level trolling is another matter and it's sometimes hard to nail someone for it.

• Advertisement

"I represented him, my team and in some ways my country, and you arseholes have bad things to say about that?"

if people are acting like arseholes, then i have absolutely no problem with them being called out on it - as was the case here. if they can't handle their opinions making themselves look like arseholes, then they shouldnt be posting what they were saying. you shouldnt be able to get away with being a d1ck on boards just because the other guy can't fight back as effectively - and yes, that includes calling out how they are acting.

I think this site is far too touchy about abuse. the above comment is barely insulting and in fact carries a point in itself - if you are moaning about a guy following the advice of his peers and honestly trying to do his best and all you can do is berate him on the net, maybe you're acting like an arsehole. how do you make that point without calling them an arsehole? I suppose you could make it thinly veiled and aloof and circumcise the rules.......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

"I represented him, my team and in some ways my country, and you arseholes have bad things to say about that?"

if people are acting like arseholes, then i have absolutely no problem with them being called out on it - as was the case here. if they can't handle their opinions making themselves look like arseholes, then they shouldnt be posting what they were saying. you shouldnt be able to get away with being a d1ck on boards just because the other guy can't fight back as effectively - and yes, that includes calling out how they are acting.

I think this site is far too touchy about abuse. the above comment is barely insulting and in fact carries a point in itself - if you are moaning about a guy following the advice of his peers and honestly trying to do his best and all you can do is berate him on the net, maybe you're acting like an arsehole. how do you make that point without calling them an arsehole? I suppose you could make it thinly veiled and aloof and circumcise the rules.......

You could report the offending posts like you're supposed to. There are hundreds of cases like this that could have been avoided if people learned to step back for a second and click a button.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I suppose you could make it thinly veiled and aloof and circumcise the rules.......

By calling them nob-ends instead?

super-rush wrote: »
    You could report the offending posts like you're supposed to. There are hundreds of cases like this that could have been avoided if people learned to step back for a second and click a button.

doesnt give nearly the same satisfaction as standing up for yourself does, and often doesnt do anything

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Question answered.

kiad
    next time you are unsure of a Moderator decision, feel free to drop them a PM and ask the question.
    It should be your first port of call.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement