Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Query

Options
  • 04-06-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope some one can shed some light on my predicament. I completed year 1 of my course no probs with full grant. Year 2 again no probs as far as grant was concerned. However I became ill around November in my 2nd year and was hospitalised. Didn't have any xmas exams so was ok in that regard. Went back to college after the xmas break and tried hard to catch up but my condition continued to deteriorate. Have to say they were marvellous to me in college and encouraged me forward when I said I would leave etc etc.
    Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up having to go off books in feb as my Hb levels had dropped to 8 and I was barely able to cope. I had up to this point received 2 grant payments. I did not receive a third. I have spent the last few months resting and having various scopes and tests done and hope to return to college in September to start 2nd year all over again.
    Like I said college has been great and I am eligble to return under the free fees initiative due to illness.
    What I am wondering is, will I receive the grant again this term coming. If not is it likely they will pay my registration fee as that is the most costly part? Has anyone been in or know of anyone who has been in a similar situation? Grant is through Dublin CC and course is a 4 year degree in Trinity. I really want to go back and finish as I enjoy the course and hell am gonna need that degree the way the country is but finding 2000 yoyos is not gonna be easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maidonamission

Hi,
    Not one that I have a clear cut answer for but I would definitely say apply and see how you go. Had a somewhat similar situation myself when I had to repeat 1st year after dropping out for health reasons and, while I didn't qualify for the grant due to parents' income, I submitted lots of evidence to the college about my health issues and they didn't charge me the tuition fees which they could have done otherwise (about 4k at the time). I now work in a job where I assist people with grant forms loads and while I haven't seen this exact situation I've seen people put in extra info about extenuating circumstances/change in income situation etc and it's usually successful if they can back it up with official docs from various sources.
    At the end of the day, you can't help being sick!
    Hope it works out for you and you stay healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭estreet girl

Thanks for the reply maidonamission, I will post how it pans out for me. According to the Dublin City website it can be done at their discretion so fingers and toes crossed!

Advertisement