Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Kindle Books

Options
  • 04-06-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have a new Kindle arriving on Tuesday. I have been looking at buying books for it, and there seems to be a big difference between what you can buy depending on the country.

I have to use amazon.com, to buy the Kindle and then my region is europe. It cant be changed to Uk or USA, and i cant buy from amazon.co.uk.

Does anyone have a way around this, or am i just stuck with it??

If i go into the amazon.co.uk site and look to manage my kindle, it redirects me to the amazon.com website. Can i deregister it from the .com site and register it to my .co.uk account? I have accounts for both.

Thanks in advance

Giggler

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I added my brothers address in the UK and wirelessly delivered it to my kindle, after that I got an email from my Amazon asking me for clarification :(

I tried using daves proxy and saving it to computer, that wouldn't work, but next time I may use davesproxy and wirelessly send it to kindle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭Quo Vadis

Giggler wrote: »
    I have a new Kindle arriving on Tuesday. I have been looking at buying books for it, and there seems to be a big difference between what you can buy depending on the country.

I have to use amazon.com, to buy the Kindle and then my region is europe. It cant be changed to Uk or USA, and i cant buy from amazon.co.uk.

Does anyone have a way around this, or am i just stuck with it??

If i go into the amazon.co.uk site and look to manage my kindle, it redirects me to the amazon.com website. Can i deregister it from the .com site and register it to my .co.uk account? I have accounts for both.

Thanks in advance

Giggler

Why are they so restrictive ?

Quo Vadis wrote: »
    Why are they so restrictive ?

They claim it is down to rights of the books and the UK has rights just for the UK. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭Quo Vadis

Stuff em then. Stick to the free books out of principle.

Quo Vadis wrote: »
    Stuff em then. Stick to the free books out of principle.

To be honest, I am happy enough paying out from amazon.co.uk and so far, my purchases have gone through.. It takes a bit of tinkering around :)

I bought 3 books so far and the most expensive one I bought was £2.99 and the others were both less than £1, no issue there! :D

The US store is more expensive as I did a comparison on the books I bought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Giggler

How do you manage to buy the books from the uk site. My Kindle is registered to the .com site?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I started a thread on it here, with some posters giving advice on the matter.

It's due to licensing restrictions, which don't apply when selling books. From what I can gleam, it's okay to sell books to different regions. However, a book is published to a Kindle (not sold) and the publishing restrictions kick in.
    Frankly, I don't care and they need to sort this nonsense out. They're just going to encourage piracy with this idiocy - if people can't find what they want when trying to pay, they're quite likely to look where they don't have to.

ioxy,
    how do you actually do it and will i have to deregister it from thr .com site??

Giggler wrote: »
    How do you manage to buy the books from the uk site. My Kindle is registered to the .com site?

I entered a new address into the system, they did contact me after I paid for the first two and asked for ID to prove I was a UK resident or something, then I tried a proxy and bought my book and got no email from Amazon..

The system that they are trying to implement won't work and I am happy to use Amazon.co.uk and will continue to find ways around it..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I haven't had any problem switching between addresses but then the northern address I use has been used extensively in the past for electronics and such.

To those using proxies, that's not really a great idea regardless of it being encrypted or not, I know I wouldn't be entrusting my password to a proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 deedee_belle

I live in the UK and i wanna buy a kindle for my dad who lives in Rep of Ireland. Which is the best store to buy it from, Amazon.com/co.uk?
    Considering he is gonna be buying the books himself once he gets it.....

:confused:

Just a quick reply, Love my Kindle!!! I have had it a few days now, and cant figure out wht i didnt do this ages ago. The page turning flashing screen is funny at first, but after a few pages i didnt even notice.

I am able to order anything i have looked at from the .com site so no problems so far. The download is really fast.

I got a lovely "book" looking case for it, and a light, so good for night time. I might get sonething else for travelling, but all good so far.

I live in the UK and i wanna buy a kindle for my dad who lives in Rep of Ireland. Which is the best store to buy it from, Amazon.com/co.uk?
    Considering he is gonna be buying the books himself once he gets it.....

:confused:

I find amazon.co.uk cheaper myself but there isn't a huge amount in the difference...

Advertisement