Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X58 Northbridge Cooling

Options
  • 04-06-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently, I have an X58A-UD5 from Gigabyte. I've recently determined that my northbridge is overheating, and I'm wondering what I could do to remedy this. At the moment, I have all my case fans cranked to 100%, and everything's fine, but that's not ideal.

I'm running an i7 950 @ 4.2GHz, and two GTX 580s, all watercooled. As a result, the fans that are cooling everything else, are barely spinning, as I'm trying to make this build as silent as possible. With that in mind, would anyone have any thoughts on how to keep my motherboard cool?

I've know I could just stick a fan on the motherboard somewhere, but I want to try avoiding extra fans if possible. I'm planning to take the heatsinks off and repaste them the next time my loop is being changed - which should be in a couple of weeks - and I've also looked into passive solutions from Thermalright, though I don't think anything would fit my board, the same with a full cover board block from EK.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

What temps are you getting and what program are you getting the reading from?
    What volts are you running through NB,i presume its IOH Vcore on your mobo too?

I dont really think there is a quiet solution to cooling the NB without adding a block.
    There are spot cooling fans you can get but you really would need 120mm one (if they do them) to have any chance of it being quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Guess I should have included that info in the first post, eh?

Case is a Cooler Master ATCS 840
    Monitoring program is HWMonitor.
    Temps with fans where they were were hitting 75, now about 65.
    Not sure what IOH volts are, whatever the stock setting is. (only voltage touched was vcore for the OC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

75c is a little high but i dont think its that bad.Some other mobos are rated upto about 100c :eek:
    Mine is about 55-60c @ 4.4ghz but i dont have the extra strain of two gpus on it.

The ioh vcore is tied into the NB as far as i know and that might be a little higher than stock if on auto settings.
    I'm not 100% sure but i think you need it higher than stock when oc'ing with dual gpus.

As for HWmonitor i didnt think it showed NB temps at all (doesn't for me).
    I run the rig for a while to get temps up and reboot into bios to check what temps are showing as there.It wont cool down to quickly so will give let you now if its the same as the reading from HWmonitor.

Sorry cant really be of any more help but try seeing if you can google the max safe temp for your NB just to give you a better idea if your temps are ok or not.

Advertisement