Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Cork?

Options
  • 04-06-2011 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I've been thinking of joining a gym recently and I'm just wondering which are good? Anyone have any ideas? My local one is €500 annual membership per year (which is kind of steep for the budget I'm on) and €350 off peak (not even sure what that means..?) So, anyone have any ideas on good gyms in Cork city? (preferably northside or city centre)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Off-peak means like 8.30am to 4pm usually - which is why its cheaper because most people are working so they need the business. My advice - off-peak is rubbish unless you work nights! I was joined to the Mardyke Gym which I would say avoid due to overcrowding by students and the massive wear and tear on machines and weights. I am currently joined to the Montenotte Hotel gym (they were running an offer of 600 for 2 years membership(!) but this has now expired. I got mine for 475 for the year - you can always knock any gym down 10 or 15 euro by threatening to go elsewhere, and many (including Montenotte) will match the price of any other gym so try and get some written quotes if you want to try that route.

There is a gym in Blackpool apparently that is very basic, but has weights etc. and is state endorsed (you may need to be on social welfare or something like that), for €50 per year. After that Mayfield gym is likely the cheapest, but it is quiet basic and not a very aesthetically pleasing gym. Maybe I am being unfair to the area, but I always worried about my car when I was in there.

There are loads of others - River Lee hotel is running an offer at the moment of:

3 months membership €175

6 month memberhship €275

Annual membership €475

Never been in there though - offer ends at 6pm this bank holiday Monday.

Is it weights you are into (and if so free weights or fixed), or is cardio more your thing (and if so what type e.g. running, swimming) - you will find a lot of the gyms are essentially the same price so I would pick based on your needs. Remember most will be happy to let you have a session for free before signing up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Planet in Blackpool is decent.

You can Pay as you go in Leisureworld Churchfield to try it out...its 8euro for gym and pool. I think its a grand gym...good weights room and never jointed...thats what id go for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

tommy21 wrote: »
    Off-peak means like 8.30am to 4pm usually - which is why its cheaper because most people are working so they need the business. My advice - off-peak is rubbish unless you work nights! I was joined to the Mardyke Gym which I would say avoid due to overcrowding by students and the massive wear and tear on machines and weights.

I would have to partially disagree with what you said about the Mardyke. Firstly it is overcrowded (between 5pm and 10pm) but the students are not around now so it wont be a problem for another 3 months.

Secondly the machines are not suffering from wear and tear (in my opinion) (I haven't been there in about 3 months since I cancelled my membership). their equipment is the best I've seen in any gym in Cork.

My advice is avoid the Locker Room. Their machines have serious wear and tear bordering on dangerous. For anyone who disagrees with me the cable machine and preacher curl are two prime examples that should have been fixed a long time ago. Also it is generally empty (which is good) but when there are people there it seems to be the same groups that stand around and chat (loudly) while sharing one bench or talking on the phone. I found this really bothered me when I was training there.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I would have to partially disagree with what you said about the Mardyke. Firstly it is overcrowded (between 5pm and 10pm) but the students are not around now so it wont be a problem for another 3 months.

Secondly the machines are not suffering from wear and tear (in my opinion) (I haven't been there in about 3 months since I cancelled my membership). their equipment is the best I've seen in any gym in Cork.

My advice is avoid the Locker Room. Their machines have serious wear and tear bordering on dangerous. For anyone who disagrees with me the cable machine and preacher curl are two prime examples that should have been fixed a long time ago. Also it is generally empty (which is good) but when there are people there it seems to be the same groups that stand around and chat (loudly) while sharing one bench or talking on the phone. I found this really bothered me when I was training there.

Maybe true for the next 3 months, but not much use to the OP if he/she signs up for a year. I suppose it does depend on the time of day they can go though. I have not been there for about 2 years so maybe things have changed but I always found machines seemed to be out of service often enough. They certainly have the largest range of equipment though.

I tried a trial session in the locker room too and just did not like it, can't speak for the machines though - found the same as you, that it seemed to be more of a social club than a gym!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm in NRG in the river lee hotel,its a grand gym,the weights area is a bit small though.Have a friend thats joined the mardyke gym and she likes it but like other posters have said it gets real crowded with students,at one stage she couldn't even get a locker because they were all in use.

whats the free weights section like in the mardyke?

• Advertisement

Maybe true for the next 3 months, but not much use to the OP if he/she signs up for a year. I suppose it does depend on the time of day they can go though. I have not been there for about 2 years so maybe things have changed but I always found machines seemed to be out of service often enough. They certainly have the largest range of equipment though.

I tried a trial session in the locker room too and just did not like it, can't speak for the machines though - found the same as you, that it seemed to be more of a social club than a gym!

Ah right.

The floods wrecked the place. Everything was replaced :)

Yeah the locker room was great when it opened but they haven't put a cent into it since and it really shows. Social club indeed. It's a sad day when you have to tell ten guys to stfu because you're trying to lift :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

[HURL="http://www.riversedgefitness.com/"]The River's Edge[/URL] is only €199 for the year. It's very central and, if you're a female, it'll probably cover all of your needs. The weights area is small and quite limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I'm in NRG in the river lee hotel,its a grand gym,the weights area is a bit small though.Have a friend thats joined the mardyke gym and she likes it but like other posters have said it gets real crowded with students,at one stage she couldn't even get a locker because they were all in use.

whats the free weights section like in the mardyke?

Have you been to any of the classes in NRG?Are they any good? Moving back to Cork in a few weeks and looking for a gym to join:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

newbee22 wrote: »
    Have you been to any of the classes in NRG?Are they any good? Moving back to Cork in a few weeks and looking for a gym to join:)

I don't go to the classes (I should really as most are free for members) but from what I've heard from other members ya there very good.

Brill, thanks for that:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 get thee to a nunnery!!!

Ok I should add that I'm male and more inclined towards weights as opposed to cardio, and that I'm a teen, so on a low budget. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Ok I should add that I'm male and more inclined towards weights as opposed to cardio, and that I'm a teen, so on a low budget. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Well you should be doing both really if your anyway serious. If you are still growing (since you mention you are a teen), I would stay away from any serious lifting until you have stopped.

In your teens it may well be best to stick to press ups, dips, pull ups and chin ups etc than actual free weights. Plenty of time to go doing weights in your 20s :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    In your teens it may well be best to stick to press ups, dips, pull ups and chin ups etc than actual free weights. Plenty of time to go doing weights in your 20s :)

Well, the say that it could have an effect on my growth, but then I was talking to my aunts hubbie who's some sort of bone consultant and he said there's actually no evidence to suggest that. I suppose I could wait, I'm just short of avg Irish male height but I do think I've a little growing left in me. I dunno, a lot of my friends are in gyms and it doesn't seem to harm them...

Well, the say that it could have an effect on my growth, but then I was talking to my aunts hubbie who's some sort of bone consultant and he said there's actually no evidence to suggest that. I suppose I could wait, I'm just short of avg Irish male height but I do think I've a little growing left in me. I dunno, a lot of my friends are in gyms and it doesn't seem to harm them...

He is wrong, pure and simple. If you do a lot of weights and are too young, it will stunt your growth. Certainly do light weights to tone up (hate that word) and cardio obviously, and when you exit the teens (or in late teens even) then you can start properly.

He is wrong, pure and simple. If you do a lot of weights and are too young, it will stunt your growth. Certainly do light weights to tone up (hate that word) and cardio obviously, and when you exit the teens (or in late teens even) then you can start properly.

Sorry, I should clarify, he basically said that there was no evidence that light weights would be damaging to growth. I'm 17 now, with (I hope) a little more growing to do.

Sorry, I should clarify, he basically said that there was no evidence that light weights would be damaging to growth. I'm 17 now, with (I hope) a little more growing to do.

Not a huge point lifting light weights though. As I said press ups, chin ups, dips and pull ups. Start with mainly press ups and one or two chin ups and see how you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

He is wrong, pure and simple. If you do a lot of weights and are too young, it will stunt your growth.

What evidence do you have to back up your claim that lifting weights stunts growth?

Is it just barbells that stunt growrth or would hard physical work also stunt growth?

How young is too young?

Go up to MacCurtain street, go into Fighting Fit Gym across from the Metropole hotel and do Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There's a workout for you. 60 quid a month for unlimited classes in either of the sports and 100 a month to do Muay Thai and BJJ. They also have a (small) weights room.

I won't be going back to a commercial gym unless BJJ is outlawed :D

Go up to MacCurtain street, go into Fighting Fit Gym across from the Metropole hotel and do Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There's a workout for you. 60 quid a month for unlimited classes in either of the sports and 100 a month to do Muay Thai and BJJ. They also have a (small) weights room.

I won't be going back to a commercial gym unless BJJ is outlawed :D

Dermighty - how fit do you need to be to do it? Two weeks into a new getting fit regime, was thinking of joining FFG in about a month when I've a few more weeks under my belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Lemag wrote: »
    [HURL="http://www.riversedgefitness.com/"]The River's Edge[/URL] is only €199 for the year. It's very central and, if you're a female, it'll probably cover all of your needs. The weights area is small and quite limited.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo....It's like everything else that you buy in life....You get exactly what you pay for.

Been there,done that,and never ever again. And,taking into account the OP wants more weight training than anything,,I'll just stress the word "Avoid".

This place is way too small..The weights area is tiny. And most important,,the equipment is near pre-historic.
    And what is there,breaks down on a regular basis.

Check out LeisureWorld in Bishopstown,or I think there's one Northside as well. (Churchfield). They also do rates for the unemployed.

http://www.leisureworldcork.com/

Dermighty - how fit do you need to be to do it? Two weeks into a new getting fit regime, was thinking of joining FFG in about a month when I've a few more weeks under my belt.

The age old question :P

Basically, you can go in unfit, they will get you fit if you put in the effort. If you're fit already it just makes the classes easier.

Both sports require high levels of fitness to be good at them, flexibility etc. Personally I would say that Muay Thai is more straight out cardio and BJJ is far more muscle and muscle endurance based. I will say though that I do BJJ there 5-6 classes a week and my cardio is through the roof compared to what it was when I joined.

You don't need to be fit going into the classes. I would say that an positive attitude and a willingness to stick with it are far more important. As corny as that sounds I think it's true.

The worst thing you can do is go in there super fit and get frustrated because someone half your size is choking you or whatever, because when I started I had 60kg guys destroying me in BJJ and I'm 95kg. BJJ is a lot of fun, really good for fitness and it's a fantastic sport, I've only scratched the surface and I know it's something I'll want to stick with. But it's not for everyone so try Muay Thai too, also loads of fun...I mean who doesn't like kicking stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nky07

Try www.sourcehealthandfitness.com Source Health & Fitness Centre in Silversprings - Have great offer at the Moment & have Great Classes, Opening Hours:):)

Cheers Dermighty, only read that now.

I joined NRG during the week, liking it there so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

As a current Mardyke member and a previous member of the gym in the Clarion I must say I far preferred the Clarion gym. It was really fresh, staff were very very nice, gym equipment was newer then the Mardyke and it was never as busy as the Mardyke is. You also get 50% off spa treatments on selected days! However the pool isn't very big. But people do actually wipe off the machines in the Clarion. I can't get over how in the Mardyke people bring in towels but I never see them use them to wipe the machines!

I was a member in the Clarion up to 2 years ago, I only realised what a crap gym it was when I left. Treadmill and cycling yokes galore, f all free weights to mention and the weights machines are quite poor. Unless it's been revamped I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

My husband is a member of Bull and Fiddle Gym in Ballyphehane community centre.Not sure of price but I know he pays every 2 months.

He thinks its a great gym and is always recommending it to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

nky07 wrote: »
    Try www.sourcehealthandfitness.com Source Health & Fitness Centre in Silversprings - Have great offer at the Moment & have Great Classes, Opening Hours:):)
    Looks like a fairly good spot might check that out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

mini1972 wrote: »
    My husband is a member of Bull and Fiddle Gym in Ballyphehane community centre.Not sure of price but I know he pays every 2 months.

He thinks its a great gym and is always recommending it to people.

Sadly,,very expensive...

I was onto the guy that runs it on Facebook recently,,and he said he would do Us (My wife and I) a deal for €780.00 for the year..

Off the wall like..

We can get Bishopstown for €480.00.

Much as We'd have loved to join Ballyphehane,,it's just much to expensive.

Advertisement