Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Cork?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

Well that explains why I don't know how much it is!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yeah,,that might explain it alright... ;)

I kinda wish now that I didn't know how much it was either..I'm still disappointed by the price of it...

Ahh well....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

SexyGuy wrote: »
    We can get Bishopstown for €480.00.

That's not bad at all. Is that 12 months off-peak?

I joined Source in Silversprings today. It looks good enough up there.
    Seems to be plenty of equipment.
    €595 for a couple, 12 months off-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Shame I didn't see this sooner..

Dennehys Gym in Ballincollig were doing an offer for €5 per week off-peak on a two year contract. I think it was €7 or so for anytime. It ended at 5pm today though.. But I guess you could chance your luck and ring 'em to see if they'll extend the offer.

Here are their normal prices:
    http://www.dennehyshandf.com/membership1.html

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    That's not bad at all. Is that 12 months off-peak?

I joined Source in Silversprings today. It looks good enough up there.
    Seems to be plenty of equipment.
    €595 for a couple, 12 months off-peak.

Yeah,,That's 12 months,,Off-Peak..

http://bishopstown.leisureworldcork.com/index.cfm/page/membership

It's their "Best Rate"..It's for students,OAP's,Unemployed..etc...

Still great value though..

Hope SilverSprings turns out to be what you wanted,sounds good as well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Hi all,

Didn't want to make a new thread as this is the same topic but if you would prefer I did that and not bump one from 2011 I apologise and please feel free to move it.

I'm in the middle of a dilemma at the moment myself.

I'm currently going to the gym near UCC and CIT in Bishopstown. If anyone is interested in weight lifting in particular, it is great as there is plenty of room. If I am not mistaken, I think they're the biggest gym in Cork. They recently had a bit of a makeover and the place is way over twice the size it was. If you would like to read about it here you go: http://bishopstown.leisureworldcork.com/

The prices are average in my opinion and my concern is I could be getting a better deal somewhere else. Location wise, Bishopstown is great but I'm also thinking of joining the gym in Little Island at the hotel.

Can anyone advise me on that place? I couldn't find anything online - not even their website. Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Pink11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Didn't want to make a new thread as this is the same topic but if you would prefer I did that and not bump one from 2011 I apologise and please feel free to move it.

I'm in the middle of a dilemma at the moment myself.

I'm currently going to the gym near UCC and CIT in Bishopstown. If anyone is interested in weight lifting in particular, it is great as there is plenty of room. If I am not mistaken, I think they're the biggest gym in Cork. They recently had a bit of a makeover and the place is way over twice the size it was. If you would like to read about it here you go: http://bishopstown.leisureworldcork.com/

The prices are average in my opinion and my concern is I could be getting a better deal somewhere else. Location wise, Bishopstown is great but I'm also thinking of joining the gym in Little Island at the hotel.

Can anyone advise me on that place? I couldn't find anything online - not even their website. Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated.
    Sorry to bump this but I want to join asap. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It was pre-floods since I've been to Leisureworld, but given they have a pay as you go system, which to me screams full. Which I've been told it is in the evening. One of the most frustrating thing for someone using a gym on a regular workout program is waiting for someone whose first night it is there to finish incorrectly using the machine and that person taking forever on the lightest weights.

If they have expanded to twice their size and the membership and people going hasn't grown significantly, it might be worth it, but if you are impatient or plan to work a hard and fast program, I doubt it would be great.

I'll say again though, it's been a while since I've been to that Gym. My own gym has a limit on membership numbers and is generally full of older people, not 17/18 year olds looking at the weights they lift as their willy size. If my friends are telling the truth, which they have no reason not to, Leisureworld seems to be full of college students travelling in groups from machine to machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

@Pink11, Where in Little Island is the gym your talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I didn't read that post correctly then, you're in Little Island? Or is that just a cheap Gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Miguel_Angel

I would say that in my opinion the best gym in Cork is called Crossfit Cork, in Togher.
    You will find there from weightlifting to running and trainers are super!!.

It's not cheap but it is worth it!.

Cheers!

I would say that in my opinion the best gym in Cork is called Crossfit Cork, in Togher.
    You will find there from weightlifting to running and trainers are super!!.

It's not cheap but it is worth it!.

Cheers!

I'm only living a few minutes walk from that,,and I never knew it was there..

And,agreed,,far from cheap.....Pity..

*Edit*
    In fact,,looking properly at it now..It's very expensive.

€1000 for a years membership for a single person? We can get Lesuireworld in Bishopstown for half that as a couple.

There is better out there for less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

tommy21 wrote: »
    Well you should be doing both really if your anyway serious. If you are still growing (since you mention you are a teen), I would stay away from any serious lifting until you have stopped.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    In your teens it may well be best to stick to press ups, dips, pull ups and chin ups etc than actual free weights. Plenty of time to go doing weights in your 20s :)

complete myths. training with weights from the onset of puberty, while still growing, improves bone density and can prevent osteoporosis in later life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Miguel_Angel

*Edit*
    In fact,,looking properly at it now..It's very expensive.

€1000 for a years membership for a single person? We can get Lesuireworld in Bishopstown for half that as a couple.

There is better out there for less money.

Prices in Crossfit gyms are almost the same and it is a really different training.. there are no mirrors, nobody is doing the same workouts every single week and it is one of the best ways to get fit.. However, not everybody can do Crossfit!.

Crossfit is more like a family.. trainers look after you and they teach you how to eat properly, building up a healthy diet from the scratch if you need it.. they help you achieve your goals and they push you really further!.

When I discovered Crossfit I found out that I loved weightlifting too!!! And flipping 150kg tractor tires too!!! :).

Best!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 manicbusy1973

does anyone know a gym near Douglas/Bishopstown that does TRX training? i know Leisureworld in Bishopstown does it but they only do it as part of a course as far as i know? Thanks.:)

does anyone know a gym near Douglas/Bishopstown that does TRX training? i know Leisureworld in Bishopstown does it but they only do it as part of a course as far as i know? Thanks.:)

Catalyst Health & Fitness in Carrigaline or Paudie Horgan Strength & Conditioning in Mahon are probably the closest to you.

Catalyst Health & Fitness in Carrigaline or Paudie Horgan Strength & Conditioning in Mahon are probably the closest to you.

Paudie has now opened a second place in the Douglas Woollen Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lucan45

I see Ben Dunne Gyms are going to open in Cork City this year according to their Facebook Page. Great gyms with super facilities . Membership is around €200 for a years membership or they do deals for 2 people joining together for €370.

lucan45 wrote: »
    I see Ben Dunne Gyms are going to open in Cork City this year according to their Facebook Page. Great gyms with super facilities . Membership is around €200 for a years membership or they do deals for 2 people joining together for €370.

Seriously?? Wow...Great deal..

Be well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Any Update on where they are going to be based in Cork ?

lets hope it be in the South Side of Cork.

• Advertisement

Look at the reviews on other threads on here - they're cheap, but you get exactly what you paid for. PACKED gyms, not enough equipment, terrible staff etc etc etc.

Look at the reviews on other threads on here - they're cheap, but you get exactly what you paid for. PACKED gyms, not enough equipment, terrible staff etc etc etc.
    Think you're mistaken there! They may be busy, but their equipment facilities and staff are first class! Have you been to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

interesting, any news on where they will open

Milly33 wrote: »
    interesting, any news on where they will open
    Not yet. I just saw it mentioned on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Think you're mistaken there! They may be busy, but their equipment facilities and staff are first class! Have you been to one?

My brother was joined one for 6 months before and I remember him saying the gym staff were more interested in selling membership for commission then ever actully helping you as well as being busy etc.
    When I read your post I though he might have gone to the bad apple in the group but then I noticed youre username refers to an area of Dublin and then I noticed that your posts are all about Ben Dunne Gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Haha we have a mole then...Well spotted just looked there myself and it is true..So you work for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Milly33 wrote: »
    Haha we have a mole then...Well spotted just looked there myself and it is true..So you work for them!!

so he works for the gym (or is heavily invested in it) ...

Hopefully he will own up and admit it :D

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a gym and personal training studio myself, but wouldn't be competing with the likes of ben dunnes or any other leisure centre type gyms anyway, and have no problems recommending gyms local to other people on here (and have done so many times!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a gym and personal training studio myself, but wouldn't be competing with the likes of ben dunnes or any other leisure centre type gyms anyway, and have no problems recommending gyms local to other people on here (and have done so many times!)

Being honest gets you everywhere :) Fair play to you.

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »

Being honest gets you everywhere :) Fair play to you.
    Nope, I don't work for them. But I have an interest in their gyms. Been a member with them a long time and really just started to stick up for them on boards. Just kept the habit going I suppose. I'm sure when they open in Cork there'll plenty of people who will give their comments on them.

Advertisement