Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Cork?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

lucan45 wrote: »
    Nope, I don't work for them. But I have an interest in their gyms. Been a member with them a long time and really just started to stick up for them on boards. Just kept the habit going I suppose. I'm sure when they open in Cork there'll plenty of people who will give their comments on them.

Ah go go way owwa dah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a gym and personal training studio myself, but wouldn't be competing with the likes of ben dunnes or any other leisure centre type gyms anyway, and have no problems recommending gyms local to other people on here (and have done so many times!)

To be fair.... it's pretty obvious you have something to do with a gym :pac: Which isn't shilling....

Pretending you don't lucan..... Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

Hi,
    I am currently a member of NRG in the River Lee. Excellent gym and brilliant classes-I can't complain.

How and ever, I have moved to Blackrock & it doesn't really make sense for me to be crossing the city for a gym.

I am fairly well motivated once I get going but I wondering has anyone any experiences to share of Freestyle For Lifestyle? They're a personal trainer/Food & Fitness expert in Blackrock. I have heard sessions are a €10 for a half hour for a one-two session but wondering is it any good?

Also on Strength & Conditioning with Paudie in Mahon, has anyone been there before? For the classes, are they pay as you go or how do they operate?

I wouldn't mind personal training sessions twice/three times a week and go to cardio classes as and when. (Bikini season-no time to mess around :) )

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No idea about either of those but I go to www.oakgroveleisure.ie for years now. If youre not interested in swimming they dont do a normal gym only option but they do have a seperate crossfit gym thing. The crossfit parts only opened recently and I only took up a one month option but im enjoying that so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

I'm a complete beginner to gyms, so whats a good one to start with, possibily where they're open to questions? I'm smack bang in the city centre so obviously that would suit. Thanks

EDITED: I'm interested in reasonable price, not too much commitment and straightforward cardio and simple weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

KatyBob wrote: »
    I'm a complete beginner to gyms, so whats a good one to start with, possibily where they're open to questions? I'm smack bang in the city centre so obviously that would suit. Thanks

EDITED: I'm interested in reasonable price, not too much commitment and straightforward cardio and simple weights.

If your looking for reasonable price and something simple, maybe Riversedge would suit you.
    It's cheap enough, and it's also small.

Only downfall is when it's busy you may need to queue to use the equipment.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    If your looking for reasonable price and something simple, maybe Riversedge would suit you.
    It's cheap enough, and it's also small.

Only downfall is when it's busy you may need to queue to use the equipment.

Thanks for that. I'll look into them. Are they welcoming enough? I'm a bit nervous :P

Thanks for that. I'll look into them. Are they welcoming enough? I'm a bit nervous :P

Yes, Friendly enough.

It's just a bit small, and lack of space and having to queue for the machines can put people off it.

As as far as I can remember, there is a separate part of that gym for Women. (Upstairs).

Good to hear, thank you. Will check it out. Just wish gyms worked on a pay as you go system! :P

Good to hear, thank you. Will check it out. Just wish gyms worked on a pay as you go system! :P

Well, some gyms do, but not Riversedge.

You may find another close to town that does pay-as-you-go, but I don't know of any.

Closest one that I know of would be Leisureworld in Bishopstown.

http://bishopstown.leisureworldcork.com/index.cfm/page/prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

lucan45 wrote: »
    I see Ben Dunne Gyms are going to open in Cork City this year according to their Facebook Page. Great gyms with super facilities . Membership is around €200 for a years membership or they do deals for 2 people joining together for €370.

Ben Dunne Gyms never actually opened any facilities in the Cork area afterwards despite it's apparent intentions around 2013. Not sure what prevented it's plans to open it's first facility in Cork.

Leisure World have fine facilities in Cork which may be one of the main reasons why Ben Dunne Gyms have not opened in Cork to date although; Leisure World still DON'T have any jacuzzi/hot tubs which is disappointing as it can be relaxing after tough workout. Unfortunately, membership prices were increased at Leisure World following refurbishment works which is understandable following improvements although; the price increases are quite significant in comparison to the rates charged in the previous calendar year. Leisure World's motto "Every Body Belongs" sounds wonderful provided you can afford their prices but I fear it's higher rates will probably prevent some users from availing of it's services in the future which is a shame as it cannot claim to be all inclusive when rates jump so high even when you take refurbishment into account.

Further competition in the Leisure Club sector is always welcome on Leeside and we could do with a full service Ben Dunne Gym outlet very similar to it's Northwood Santry, Dublin facility down in Cork. Ben Dunne Gyms Northwood in Santry is currently charging 12 Months Single Membership @ 279.00EUR with gym and swimming pool & jacuzzi & steam rooms which is excellent value for money. A single adult would pay 480.00EUR for use only at Leisure World Bishopstown, Cork or if you want multi-site membership access the single adult rate would increase to 560.00EUR.

Advertisement