Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade CK3 Power Adapter

Options
  • 04-06-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Here is a handy tutorial for creating your own CK3 power adapter, it's useful if you need a 12v power source and don't want to open you PC case looking for a spare molex connection when you need to power an Xbox 360 drive.

Please note there are some limitations to this adapter, it doesn't fully power the DVD drive just enough to read/write to the flash chip, so essentially it would only work with Samsung and BenQ drives maybe some Liteon drives, if anybody can suggest why it doesn't fully eject or power up the drive completely I will post a revised version of the adapter.

You will need:
    • A spare Xbox 360 PSU
    • A power connecter from a spare Xbox 360 motherboard
    • A male molex connecter, I got mine from a dead PC PSU
    • Soldering Iron
    • Dremel or circular cutting tool(optional)
    • Electrical Tape(optional)
    • Hot Glue Gun(optional)

Solder the Molex Connecter to the Power Connector
    Cut the power connecter off the motherboard with a Dremel or similar cutting tool, solder the molex wires to the corresponding pins on the Xbox 360 power connecter.

57970092405797009240_2635022ac9.jpg5797026372_ac249522b4.jpg5796486809_3a508d3df0.jpg

Securing the Molex wires to the Power Connecter
    This step is optional, I have used hot glue and a cable tie to stop the molex connections from touching eachother or other pins and wrapped it in red electrical tape to make it look pretty :D

5796511913_bd933b9c2c.jpg5796526653_f6d4e29912.jpg5797088978_9469b4bda6.jpg

Testing on a BenQ drive
    Xbox 360 power brick is connected to a wall socket and our adapter is on the other end, the CK3 and the BenQ drive are getting power and Jungleflasher has the BenQ in vendor mode ready to flash.

5797116786_ce4475a9b7.jpg5797120560_7a49fc548f.jpg

9QgbTb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Would this not have been a lot easier.

http://team-xecuter.com/molext-molex-on-the-move/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Thor wrote: »
    Would this not have been a lot easier.

http://team-xecuter.com/molext-molex-on-the-move/

Easier and more costly yes, I just made this out of what I had available :) kinda only works on Samsung and Benq drives though

justryan wrote: »
    Easier and more costly yes, I just made this out of what I had available :) kinda only works on Samsung and Benq drives though

Looks pretty impressive and great to quick needs, But honestly, Connecting a molex from the computer has to be a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Agreed I still can't figure out why it doesn't fully power the drive it would be a whole lot more useful if I could figure this out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have limited knowledge of power supplies, but what i do know is the usually have 2 modes, standby and active.

in standby mode it will be emitting some power, it does this so that there is some power going to the power switch so you know if the thing has been turned on or not.

So is it possible in this case that only the 5v is actually on? 5v would be all the board of the drive required to be on, but the motor would def require 12v

Pre submit edit, it would appear that im right.

atxto360.GIF

WARNING - A 360 psu in active mode supplies 12v 16.5A, this would pack a punch

I am completely not recommending you do this, in fact I'd suggest you dont, but I'd imagine if you supply 5v to the thing labeled pwr_enable it would turn the psu into active mode.....

Personally I'd just go for this... its a tenner and it does come wiht the risk of death

• Advertisement

Hmm, Going to buy the external molex power supply(Actually a different one on ebay) Looks the exact same though. As easy as it is to connect up the molex from the pc, I would rather not have to open my case each time, I know there are ways around that but this seems to be the best one

Just wondering is there any problems with using the different power supply then your computer, Namely the same problem us retro flashers use to have when using the Xbox 360 as the power source.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, But seemed like the best place for the question.

Advertisement