Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should i return aldi HD sat kit?

• 04-06-2011 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I bought the HD sat kit in aldi for 100 quid but I'm getting bad feedback about the size of the dish.. should i return it and get a bigger dish elsewhere? Ive been told the 45cm dish is poor for use in the west... and pretty much all the country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yeah the recommended minimum is 60 cm

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In the extreme western corners Astra 2D is still OK on 60cm/65cm, but Eurobird and Astra2A/2B may need 80cm for rain.

If you get a lot of heavy rain and at west coast consider 65cm or 70cm...

A quattro or Octo may be happier in heavy rain with next size up dish.

45cm is only OK for SE England really. (or Germany with 19E)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Quite remarkable that this product continued to be sold in Ireland.

These problems ulltimately end up in the hands of sat installers. I have often wondered whether Sky give these boxes to Aldi for free to drive people away from free to Air TV and into their paws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

thanks guys. ill be paying a visit to aldi on tuesday... i never thought of dish size until some one asked what size it was :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I only once tried to work with a 45cm camping dish on behalf of a friend, I couldn't even get a lock on Astra 2D! The 60cm sky dish I used worked fine.

Relations of mine use a sky Raven dish in NW Donegal and I was amazed to see it even worked! This was during fine summer weather and even then the quality bar on the sky digibox wasn't very reassuring. This was after I had adjusted it to get it working again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

ahyeahok wrote: »
    thanks guys. ill be paying a visit to aldi on tuesday... i never thought of dish size until some one asked what size it was :D

These "kits" are sourced for 19.2 - hotbird and its use in central europe = germany - infact they are just about suitable for 19.2 in Germany because they are on the margin for that sat.

Now heres just one of the astra 2 satelitte coverage maps Astra 2A (the BBCs etc) as you can see you need a min of 60cm is required. Astra 2d is a little narrower again.

astra2north.jpg

They are not suitable for 28.2 nor 19.2 in Ireland, you require a dish greater than 50cm ie a 60cm dish for 28.2 (Astra 2 - the english channels like bbc etc) and a 80/90cm (for 19.2), not a 45 which is fecking useless. Perhaps you could tell them this. Infact print off that and ask Aldi to send it to their head office if you have a printer. Wasting peoples time and wrecking the DIY heads!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

a few people around here are using sky minidishes, (45cm) love to know what reception is like during heavy rain. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Those are Zone1 for England. We are supposed to have Zone 2.

Though you might get away with it in Waterford.

Advertisement