Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm at the Rory Gallagher Festival...

Options
  • 04-06-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

... And I'm fucking pissed!

ALL HAIL RORY GALLAGHER!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Well Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I must try getting pissed sometime.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Nice one!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

you're gonna miss all the good stuff!

pace yerself laddie!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

:o Sorry about this, I feel like such a tit for posting that.

To be honest though, having an awesome time, very laid back festival, bumped into a hand full of my friends and it's all the better. Also found out that one of them whom I haven't seen in over a year is dougal-maguire, the boards user! I kind of had a thought it was him, because his Facebook name is Dougal Maguire despite that not being his real name, but he seen me walk up and said "YOU'RE NAILZ!" and I though deductively and said "Wait... You're actually Dougal Maguire!" and it was all bro'y and shit and it was cool. :)

Weather was wonderful yesterday, I was drinking happily, but not too much overall, in spite of what this embarrassing thread may suggest. Weather is awful this morning, which is the first bit of bad weather I have ever seen at Rory, which is a shame but I'm sleeping in a camper with my Dad so it's all good. Music was fantastic yesterday, seen Pat McManus again at the Open Air Square stage and as ever he was top notch, seen the Brian Meakin band at Dicey's later on in the night who played some brilliant covers, their version of "War Pigs" was quite good. In between the two shows I seen Johnny Gallagher (no relation) play for the second time at Rory's Place Open Air Stage supported by Moonchild and they were both brilliant — Moonchild are playing again at 10 tonight and I'll consider going — for which I skipped going to see Eric Bell supported by Sinnerboy so I obviously had my intentions when going to see Johnny.

Place is packed, very little rowdiness which is ideal as I'm too chilled out to tolerate any bullshit. Best festival in Ireland, by far, and it's free! I would recommend it to everyone with any taste in music (bar a few). Just waiting for this bloody rain to stop then we'll get ourselves something to eat and the music shall start again.

Once more, sorry about the OP...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

if my car wasn't bollixed , again, i'd be sorely tempted to drive up there myself after reading that.

plugging in the guitar now to bang out needle in the groove in honour of the great pat mc manus.

enjoy.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

I was at Sinnerboy here in Cork not so long ago (which was great) and let's face it, the man needs to be hailed once and a while.

As a side note, I guess that's one of the possible downsides of having boards on your mobile; a person could get notions of posting regretful, spur of the moment drunken thoughts at festivals and such.
    Or even worse, impulsively posting something without any recollection at all, and having the daunting task of explaining the motive behind your actions in the morning :D.
    All of which I have firsthand experience with during my days of "message boarding"; in case you think I'm taking the piss in some way.

Cheers for the low down Nailz, sounds like you've got a sweet set-up :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Just back myself, was a fantastic festival.
    Ballyshannon is a great place, top class atmoshpehere there all weekend.
    Definately be heading back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Nailz wrote: »
    :o Sorry about this, I feel like such a tit for posting that.

To be honest though, having an awesome time, very laid back festival, bumped into a hand full of my friends and it's all the better. Also found out that one of them whom I haven't seen in over a year is dougal-maguire, the boards user! I kind of had a thought it was him, because his Facebook name is Dougal Maguire despite that not being his real name, but he seen me walk up and said "YOU'RE NAILZ!" and I though deductively and said "Wait... You're actually Dougal Maguire!" and it was all bro'y and shit and it was cool. :)

Weather was wonderful yesterday, I was drinking happily, but not too much overall, in spite of what this embarrassing thread may suggest. Weather is awful this morning, which is the first bit of bad weather I have ever seen at Rory, which is a shame but I'm sleeping in a camper with my Dad so it's all good. Music was fantastic yesterday, seen Pat McManus again at the Open Air Square stage and as ever he was top notch, seen the Brian Meakin band at Dicey's later on in the night who played some brilliant covers, their version of "War Pigs" was quite good. In between the two shows I seen Johnny Gallagher (no relation) play for the second time at Rory's Place Open Air Stage supported by Moonchild and they were both brilliant — Moonchild are playing again at 10 tonight and I'll consider going — for which I skipped going to see Eric Bell supported by Sinnerboy so I obviously had my intentions when going to see Johnny.

Place is packed, very little rowdiness which is ideal as I'm too chilled out to tolerate any bullshit. Best festival in Ireland, by far, and it's free! I would recommend it to everyone with any taste in music (bar a few). Just waiting for this bloody rain to stop then we'll get ourselves something to eat and the music shall start again.

Once more, sorry about the OP...

No need to apologise... Im super jealous your there - couple from I know gone to it also. Bought the "new" album Friday. Its OK. Broke out my Rory dvd's - Live from the operan house & Old grey whitsle test - great stuff!

Pity there is a festival at all, I'd rather the great man was alive. Salt of the earth and a true ambassador for Ireland, especially in the 70's when there were so few. Long live the quiet man of rock/blues Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

... And I'm fucking pissed!

ALL HAIL RORY GALLAGHER!!!
    seen the Brian Meakin band at Dicey's later on in the night who played some brilliant covers, their version of "War Pigs" was quite good. In between the two shows I seen Johnny Gallagher (no relation) play for the second time at Rory's Place Open Air Stage supported by Moonchild and they were both brilliant — Moonchild are playing again at 10 tonight and I'll consider going — for which I skipped going to see Eric Bell supported by Sinnerboy so I obviously had my intentions when going to see Johnny.

i was at it too dude. my first year at it, and im defo going back. Such a laid back weekend, i didnt see or even hear of any voilence over the whole weekend. And as for the music.....Barry Barns, what a crazy guitarist! got talking to Johnny Gallagher from boxty too, very nice guy. seen the Brian Meakin band on the friday night, they were amazing, the best cover of voodoo child ive ever seen! cant wait for next year! :D

• Advertisement

i was at it too dude. my first year at it, and im defo going back. Such a laid back weekend, i didnt see or even hear of any voilence over the whole weekend. And as for the music.....Barry Barns, what a crazy guitarist! got talking to Johnny Gallagher from boxty too, very nice guy. seen the Brian Meakin band on the friday night, they were amazing, the best cover of voodoo child ive ever seen! cant wait for next year! :D
    My sentiments exactly. Got promotional tickets into Dorrian's Hotel for the final gig of the festival from the lovely girl in the upstairs Chinese resturant, which was where I was in-between Pat McManus and Johnny Gallagher/Moonchild on Saturday. Sinnerboy couldn't play their gig at Rory's Place Open Air because of the weather, so fair play to the organisers they didn't let anyone down and put them third in line behind Johnny Gallagher and Jan Akkerman (from Focus) at the hotel.

Which was quite significant because that was Sinnerboy's last ever gig, for which I am privilaged to see many times over the last few years - they played a stormer. Will be there for my third consecutive year next year, hopefully anyway... Only broken up that bastardin' Leaving Cert in 2009!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Sinnerboy were amzing. philby and shaddow made my weekend

As a side note, I guess that's one of the possible downsides of having boards on your mobile; a person could get notions of posting regretful, spur of the moment drunken thoughts at festivals and such.
    Or even worse, impulsively posting something without any recollection at all, and having the daunting task of explaining the motive behind your actions in the morning :D.
    All of which I have firsthand experience with during my days of "message boarding"; in case you think I'm taking the piss in some way.
    Aw man that's all so true, and you do feel like a right knob for doing it too. I kind of deserved scudzilla's sarcastic remark, albeit I felt it was bit condescending.

Anyway, seen Jan Akkerman of Focus on Sunday at the festival, man, can he fucking whale! Here's a taste of him back in the day;

Advertisement