Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

howa axiom

Options
  • 04-06-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

two questions can they be legally held here ?
    are they any good

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

bud2000 wrote: »
    are they any good

There a bolt action .223 so there unrestricted and can be licenced.

As to how good they are.... Search the net, im guessing they will be rare in Ireland.

GH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Why go for the axiom when the 1500 appears to be tried and true?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bud2000

gun is not for me at all, mate likes the look of it,very heavy at 11/8 with nothing on it ,imagine scope mod ect, atlas comes to mind

gun is not for me at all, mate likes the look of it,very heavy at 11/8 with nothing on it ,imagine scope mod ect, atlas comes to mind

Fair enough, I was just wondering. I have two 1500's and would recommend them.

Just make sure your mate does is homework and doesn't buy on looks alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Fair enough, I was just wondering. I have two 1500's and would recommend them.

Just make sure your mate does is homework and doesn't buy on looks alone.

Style is nothing, without substance ;)
    30885.jpg
    Although, she seems to have substance;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Why go for the axiom when the 1500 appears to be tried and true?

I thought they were a model 1500 with a different stock or are they a different model ?

zeissman wrote: »
    I thought they were a model 1500 with a different stock or are they a different model ?
    d'oh

its the m1500 alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

are they any good

Six Questions right back at ya :D:

Can they be legally held here? Depends - Do you already have a FAC already? Or will this be your first? or do you have "Good Reason" to get one? They can be got in a number of calibres, it seems, up to and including .308, so as it's a bolt-action not exceeding .308 it's perfectly "licenceable" as an unrestricted firearm here.

Are they any good? What do you intend shooting, e.g. short-range targets, deer hunting, fox control, bunny vermin control, long-range targets? What level of accuracy would you be happy with? How long is a piece of string?

To be honest, the reviews of this particular rifle that I've read are not generally very encouraging, but that said, I haven't fired one myself. But there's a lot of talk on the web about 1.5 - 2.0 MOA "accuracy" at 100yds - which TBH isn't really much "accuracy" out of the box at all IMO.

The only difference I can find between the Axiom and the 1500 is the stock, which seems to be a BlackHawk branded stock, manufactured by KNOXX, and stuck onto the arse of a Howa. And on all that, I wouldn't be too enamoured for the following reasons: Blackhawk aren't a firearms component manufacturer; Personally I've never heard of Knoxx Stocks and I've never ever heard mention of them in relation to quality rifle stocks; I'd be worried that the foreend looks a bit flimsy and may flex on a bipod; The Rear Stock looks awful IMO; The adjustable cheekpiece looks like it was "designed" by someone who a) has never shot a rifle in a prone position and b) has a very oddly shaped head; There is no flat surface at the butt to ride a bag in any way; In the absence of a bag-riding surface, there also is no monopod or any apparent location for one to be attached; The junction of the butt-stock and the main stock body just looks wrong; Recoil-solution? Eh? WTF? It's only up to .308 FFS! :rolleyes::D; The pistol grip is neither fish nor fowl - This is not a stock designed for target shooting IMO either a short-, medium-, or long-ranges; etc. etc. etc.......

Oh, yeah, and it doesn't seem to be pillar- OR glass-bedded either.

The blackhawk blurb on this seems to be directed more to appeal at the "tacticool" market - I do indeed have a warm fondness for tacticool myself, it must be said, but this yoke appears to be very much a triumph of style over substance.

Feck it, if you want tacticool, get a McMillan A3-5, AICS, or something along those lines - at least it'll have some sort of reputation and pedigree.:cool:

The Howa 1500 is a good solid rifle, but personally I wouldn't waste my money on this stock - it seems like a bit of gimmick to me. That said, I'm happy to stand corrected - and if anyone has one, gimme a go! :)

thanks for your research and comments, as isaid gun not for me, not my cup of tea, he wants it for fox control in 223, however you have picked lots of holes in it. he is getting a price from dealer tomorrow. you have left him with lots to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

That would be a nightmare stock for me, far too many grooves and recesses to fill with mud and blood. I have a Hogue stock on my 1500. Take it off and give it a scrub in the kitchen sink whenever it gets too dirty!

how do you find 1500 accuracy wise ? would you be happy with the gun overall?

This rifle is a tack driver.

In general, most equipment outperforms the shooter. I doubt your friend will be limited by it in any way at all. I know I am not limited by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The 1500 is very accurate. I lightened the trigger on mine as it comes very heavy from the factory.

the quote for the axiom was 1350, also dealer did not think the licence would be granted here, i dont think it would be worth anything near that. checked out american reveiw he didnt really think to highly of it,recoil,reloading, and out of box accuracy were his issue. the price at under 500 dollars did . big differance in the emerald isle.

the quote for the axiom was 1350, also dealer did not think the licence would be granted here, i dont think it would be worth anything near that. checked out american reveiw he didnt really think to highly of it,recoil,reloading, and out of box accuracy were his issue. the price at under 500 dollars did . big differance in the emerald isle.

Budd,
    Have you a link to the review? We love our Remmys in the states, but I know of a lot of 700 owners that love the 1500, myself included.

Why wouldn't the license be granted? It's no different than the 700 SPS?

I have had one feeding issue with the 1500. In fairness, I had a cycling issue with the 700. The 1500 throws out the third round before it is chambered after cycling through two. Strange, probably just need to bend the magazine some.

In any case, I would disagree with anyone that says this thing is inaccurate out of the box. If anything, it beat my sps.

As soon as my SPS comes home, I'll take them out and shoot them side by side.

The price is depressing, but that's the game.

What other rifles are you seeing in that price range? What's a Tikka T3 go for?

Budd,
    Have you a link to the review? We love our Remmys in the states, but I know of a lot of 700 owners that love the 1500, myself included.

Why wouldn't the license be granted? It's no different than the 700 SPS?

I have had one feeding issue with the 1500. In fairness, I had a cycling issue with the 700. The 1500 throws out the third round before it is chambered after cycling through two. Strange, probably just need to bend the magazine some.

In any case, I would disagree with anyone that says this thing is inaccurate out of the box. If anything, it beat my sps.

As soon as my SPS comes home, I'll take them out and shoot them side by side.

The price is depressing, but that's the game.

What other rifles are you seeing in that price range? What's a Tikka T3 go for?
    i think article was shotgun news. the stock was the problem regards licence. tikka t3 laminated about 1450 euro tac 1750 or more, mate bought rem sps about 800 euro. would be good to see how your test turns out

Bud,
    If you can wait until the first week of July, I will have the test done. By that time I will have my 700 SPS back and the same scope-ring-base combo on each.

With that said, I have fired the 1500 in 223 with a Nikon BDC 4-12x40 and loved it.

The 700 SPS is €800 and the axiom is €1350? If buying right now, I would choose the 700 + a €500 euro scope.

The Howa is good, but I do not think it justifies that amount of cash.

Slan

Advertisement