Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Northern Ireland case studies

• 04-06-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ok

Im torn between learning off Coleraine and Apprentice boys.

Which is best? I have tons of essays to learn off for this exam in other topics and would be nice to know why everyone reckons Coleraine is up.

Also if anyone has sample answers of Coleraine floating around...that would be great!

Which case study is likely to come up? 31 votes

Coleraine University Contraversy
    0% 0 votes
    Sunningdale
    90% 28 votes
    Apprentice boys
    9% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

Although I voted in this, I really wouldn't advice learning only one case study, expecially it being the second yr of this particular section. I did the paper last yr and it was kinda known by everyone that it would be Sunningdale (which it was) which was great. But this year they could really put up any of the three. Most likely, Sunningdale won't appear again but DON'T decide to leave the Apprentice Boys or Coleraine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Sunningdale is seen as the most complicated, and since it was on last year they will expect you to not prepare for it, but it will most probably be on, in my opinion, for those very reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Dont like the sound of that

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

Sunningdale is seen as the most complicated, and since it was on last year they will expect you to not prepare for it, but it will most probably be on, in my opinion, for those very reasons.
    Dont like the sound of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

I was out for Sunningdale and I can honestly say I have never even opened the page on it. I couldnt even begin to tell you what its about, let alone who was involved. If it comes up again, I am royally screwed. Then again, its only 40 marks on your whole paper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Yeah it's not a huge amount, like it came up on mine last year and I knew NOTHING about it because I focused on everything else, and I got an A, which I know isn't anything great cos it was only ordinary, but in relation to doing every topic, you'll be fine cos there's a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wouldnt be really fair if it came up again what would be the point of having the other two on the course then. If it does im screwed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Sunningdale....again...:eek:

Imagine it! My A would be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I was out for Sunningdale and I can honestly say I have never even opened the page on it. I couldnt even begin to tell you what its about, let alone who was involved. If it comes up again, I am royally screwed.

Try here for the Sunningdale Agreement -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/northern-ireland-1949-1993/case-studies/the-sunningdale-agreement-1973-1974/

And here for all the case studies -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/course-topics/northern-ireland-1949-1993/case-studies/
    Then again, its only 40 marks on your whole paper?
    The Document Based Question is 100 marks (not 40)

The DBQ is the easiest question on the paper and you should study all three case studies as any of them could come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Coleraine is my guess. ABOD has virtually no contextualisation questions that can be asked on it.

Learn both coleraine and ABOD to be safe though.

• Advertisement

WAIT! Isnt Northern Ireland the case study question next yr?

AdamD wrote: »
    ABOD has virtually no contextualisation questions that can be asked on it.
    Of course there are contextualisation questions - everything related to discrimination against the Catholic community, housing, jobs, gerrymandering (particularly in relation to Derry) etc.
    Learn both coleraine and ABOD to be safe though.
    Do all three - Sunningdale is just as likely to come up as either of the other two.

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    WAIT! Isnt Northern Ireland the case study question next yr?
    No - for 2012 and 2013 the DBQ is from 'Empire in Retreat'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DesSkate

oh man no matter what it is im screwed documents are my weak point:confused:
    anybody care to help ?

Of course there are contextualisation questions - everything related to discrimination against the Catholic community, housing, jobs, gerrymandering (particularly in relation to Derry) etc.

Do all three - Sunningdale is just as likely to come up as either of the other two.

Lets be realistic here, given that sunningdale came up last year, it is less likely to come up. Whats the point in giving us 3 case studies if they are only going to ask one? They don't set out exam papers just to catch students out, they set them out to test students on the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Lets be realistic here, given that sunningdale came up last year, it is less likely to come up. Whats the point in giving us 3 case studies if they are only going to ask one? They don't set out exam papers just to catch students out, they set them out to test students on the syllabus.

I would have to agree with this. The exam is not randomly chosen and they aren't trying to catch us out.

If the Apprentice Boys comes up...I can't imagine what the contextualisation question would be. Coleraine University is a lot more likely simply because there is a huge range of things that can be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

I'd actually love it was Sunningdale, easiest topic to write on imo! Topical at the moment with Garret Fitzgerald's death, but the paper's were made months ago so that's a bit of a red herring really.

The Documents essay should be easy enough anyway no matter what Case Study appears, there's no extensive amount of learning to be fair!

It's the part B's and C's that I don't like

No - for 2012 and 2013 the DBQ is from 'Empire in Retreat'

Well in that case........Coleraine! Omg i didnt know this :D

Im a bit lost when it comes to Coleraine

What essay titles should i study?

I have the significance of the contraversy to learn off already.

Yes that is the case - and the syllabus includes all three case studies.

In 2006 and 2007 the same case study came up at Ordinary Level

Now you can assume that Sunningdale is less likely to come up - but that does not mean that it won't and it is better to know something about it than to ignore it and hope it won't happen.

• Advertisement

Im a bit lost when it comes to Coleraine

What essay titles should i study?

I have the significance of the contraversy to learn off already.
    The DBQ has four parts to it -

Parts 1, 2 and three are Comprehension, Comparison and Criticism. The answers for these three parts are based on the two document provided. Part 4 is contextualisation and in this part you need to put the Coleraine Controversy into the overall context of what was happening at the time.

In reality the contextualisation for Coleraine and the Apprentice Boys is similar - discrimination against Catholics in housing and jobs, gerrymandering of council electoral wards to eunsure continued Unionist rule, lack of investment West of the Bann because it has majority Catholic population etc. Be careful - Coleraine was before the Civil Rights Movement in the North and some of the leading figures in the Coleraine Controversy (e.g. John Hume) later became leading figures in the Civil Rights movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

For Coleraine im guessin the contextualisation question will be something like

- How may the failure to locate the new university in Derry be seen as a missed opportunity by the O'Neill goverment

- How did the people of Derry react to the reccomendations of the lockwod committee

and for ABOD

- how did relations between the Apprentice boys and catholic community in derry improve in the lat 1990s?

Yes that is the case - and the syllabus includes all three case studies.

In 2006 and 2007 the same case study came up at Ordinary Level

Now you can assume that Sunningdale is less likely to come up - but that does not mean that it won't and it is better to know something about it than to ignore it and hope it won't happen.

Thats exactly what I said..

Iceboy wrote: »
    and for ABOD

- how did relations between the Apprentice boys and catholic community in derry improve in the lat 1990s?
    Can't have this one - it falls outside the timeframe of the Northern Ireland book 1949-1993.

Thats exactly what I said..
    And I said -
    you can assume
    If you are going to quote something then you shouldn't distort it to fit your own argument - you will not get any marks in your answer if you do it.

And I said -

If you are going to quote something then you shouldn't distort it to fit your own argument - you will not get any marks in your answer if you do it.

I misread your post soz. I know sunningdale, just not to the same extent as I know Coleraine/ABOD

DesSkate wrote: »
    oh man no matter what it is im screwed documents are my weak point:confused:
    anybody care to help ?

Just have a read over the case studys in your book, only read parts you feel will be in the contextualisation section, you b grand ;)

I misread your post soz. I know sunningdale, just not to the same extent as I know Coleraine/ABOD
    No Problem - best of luck in the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Ok

Im torn between learning off Coleraine and Apprentice boys.

Which is best? I have tons of essays to learn off for this exam in other topics and would be nice to know why everyone reckons Coleraine is up.

Also if anyone has sample answers of Coleraine floating around...that would be great!

Your very lucky in the sense that Sunnindale most likely won't come up (that said, don't not do it) in the sense that the other two have very little to them. Theres really only so much they can ask about. Therefore there is no reason you should leave one of the two out. Last year, despite most people predicting Sunnindale to come up, I still knew all three. It would be a huge disadvantage to you if you lost out on a section of the paper due to you not covering it.
    Put in an extra couple of hours and have your points for both. Like I said, theres very little to the two topics - especially apprentice boys (as most of its history dates way before the dates of the course)

That said, if you want to take a risk, it's up to yourself.

• Advertisement

Why do people get so worked up about the Case study part of the course, all you need to look over is partsof the casestudy that will be based on contextualisation, the rest of the answers are in the documents on the paper so it really doesn't take much time to look over all 3, I went over them on in around 40mins and I feel i have eveything I need to know

Advertisement