Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is melting paint normal? or has my shed been vandalised?

• 04-06-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I painted my shed last year and a section of it has started to melt?
    It was corregated iron. I didn't wash it before i painted it but i'm not sure if this makes a difference, but now i see sections that look like they've melted. i was just wondering what could have caused this or if someone has thrown paint stripper on it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hard to tell - have you got pictures? What paint did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

Prenderb wrote: »
    Hard to tell - have you got pictures? What paint did you use?
    Don't have a picture atm. I used Galoxide - it's meant for corrugated steel sheds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

There was some heat the other day, so the sun could of done it on that section....Without a picture we won't know for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    Don't have a picture atm. I used Galoxide - it's meant for corrugated steel sheds.

Not quite unless the corrugated sheets were about 10 or so years old.

Galvonised corrigated sheets arent suitable for painting unless a primer has been used because they are galvanised, and if you rub your hand up and down a new shet you will see it on your hand, hence, not good for painting on.

After about 10 years the oily finish is gone, and while still galvinised they are more weathered and better for painting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

snyper wrote: »
    Not quite unless the corrugated sheets were about 10 or so years old.

Galvonised corrigated sheets arent suitable for painting unless a primer has been used because they are galvanised, and if you rub your hand up and down a new shet you will see it on your hand, hence, not good for painting on.

After about 10 years the oily finish is gone, and while still galvinised they are more weathered and better for painting.

Not totally true. I painted brand new galvanised sheets last summer on a south facing roof with no problem at all. Now I don't expect the finish to last very long and only painted it to make the new sheets match in with old but after 12 months its still looking good with no problems with flaking or bubbling. Paint used was Galoxide.

Just remembered :o I also mixed in about 20% Owatrol Oil in with the paint as the existing sheets were showing some signs of rust. I was just going to do the rusty area's with a 50/50 Paint Owatrol Oil mix but as I had a load of Owatrol left and plenty of paint I mixed it in with the paint and did the whole roof - two well brushed in coats. Preparation was just brushing the new sheets down with a stiff hand brush.

• Advertisement
Advertisement