Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Week: What are you planning?

• 04-06-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

For the actual week of exams how are you planning to structure yourselves. Are you planning on cramming/not?
    I was thinking:

5.30pm - 10.30pm Study
    Bed: 11.00pm
    Wake up: 5.30am, study until 8 then get ready and go to school

I know its not ideal but its only a week and I think it'll be beneficial?

Also how are you going to deal with nerves?

I remember clearly the 1st exam in the Junior Cert my hand was shaking so much I could barely write!

I'm a nervous wreck and only procrastinating being on this! Help :'(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lorelei112

Nope, not gonna cram.. Feeling confident ill get the points i need since its only 315.. you'll be fine i'd say.. I wouldn't be able to do that cause my head would be wrecked after studying and doing exams.. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I have to say im starting to get quite nervous now myself, I like you idea of getting up very early on the exam morning to give you a few hours to study, I think im going to try do that myself, maybe go to bed at 12pm then wake up at like 5 in the morning. I know its not ideal only 5 hours of sleep but i honestly dont think it will effect me, I remember doing my junior cert on my geography exam the night before i practically stayed up on night studying and it actually paid off, got an A :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

5:30 is a bit crazy... there actually isn't match much you can do that late in the game. I'd get up at 7, take a look over my notes, write a few main points to remember... take some deep breaths. I think the most important thing is to be well rested and relaxed, that's not gonna happen if you kill yourself studying for 2 and half hours before the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Try and study a bit the next 3 days.

Wednesday: Morning - Exam. Afternoon - 2 or 3 hours study for English Paper 2.
    Thursday: Morning - Relax. Afternoon - Exam.
    Friday: Morning - 1 or 2 hours study. Afternoon - Exam.

Weekend = Study Maths and Business.

Monday: Morning and Afternoon - Exams. Evening - Study French
    Tuesday: Morning and Afternoon - Exams. Evening - Study French
    Wednesday: Morning - Exam. Afternoon - Relax.

Rest of week/weekend = Relax and Study Physics and Applied Maths.

Monday: Morning - Exam. Afternoon -Relax

Tuesday-Thursday = Study Applied Maths

Friday - Morning - Exam. Afternoon - SHOTS! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

im gonna wakeup , shower...eat, go for a stroll done by 12pm.... have a w**k :p then revise at around 12:30 till 5 ish ..... have a nap at 6ish wake up at 10 pm and study till 3 ish................

its kinda weird but it works for me been doin it for a few weeks now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Don't get up at 5.30. Its all over at that point as regards study, you're better off to be well rested, its going to be a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Don't get up at 5.30. Its all over at that point as regards study, you're better off to be well rested, its going to be a long day.

Ehh.. I'm banking on those 2 hours to get as much into my head as possible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

brownlad wrote: »
    im gonna wakeup , shower...eat, go for a stroll done by 12pm.... have a w**k :p then revise at around 12:30 till 5 ish ..... have a nap at 6ish wake up at 10 pm and study till 3 ish................

its kinda weird but it works for me been doin it for a few weeks now....

Might try this out : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You'll be really tired and the lack of sleep will effect you. Proper sleep over an hour extra study IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Not true. You know how you hate certain topics in subjects (like when you look at something and say ''god how i gonna remember this!?'') and when you try to study it it goes out of your head in a matter of days, well If you study things that you are very weak at a few hours before the exam this means the info will be fresh in your head of the stuff you have struggled with over the previous weeks/months of study. This way you will have the knowlegde of knowing the stuff your good at and the stuff that that you didnt like so much fresh in your memory. I used this strategy in my junior and it actually payed off big time.

• Advertisement

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Might try this out : )

What part..?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

^^ lol :rolleyes: boys hey?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Don't mean to be a nagging Nancy but should you not be studying at times the exams are on. Sure if you study at 5 in the morning and at 10 o'clock at night then your body clock will be completely fúcked. I try myself to study from 9 in the mornin to 4 in the evenin takin a break from 12-1.30.

Regarding exam week. I generally do out over-ambitious exam plans(like I'm sure we all do). I don't do English or Irish so I mainly have only 1 exam a day. Days I have exams I plan on doing feck all study. Worked fairly well last year. I got up at 6am the morning of the geography exam and, as I'm not used to it, I was wrecked come 2 o'clock for Maths paper 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's never too late to learn off a proof or two... or a quote or two.

You'll come to realise that when you're in sixth year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

There is nothing worth doing at 5.30. Absolutely nothing. I will never study at 5.30 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

The whole 'cramming doesnt work' or 'not getting enough sleep doesnt work' is all rubbish. People are different. Just because it doesnt work for someobody doesnt mean it wont work for somebody else. Personally, I wont be studying past half 10 or in the morning, but Im a bad sleeper so I will probably be up half the night anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Ehh.. I'm banking on those 2 hours to get as much into my head as possible!!
    It's never too late to learn off a proof or two... or a quote or two.

You'll come to realise that when you're in sixth year :D
    Eh, I dunno, you should really have nearly everything done by then. Unless you went to bed early I wouldn't get up that early and be tired for the exam (I'd get up at 8 or so if my exam was in the afternoon though, and maybe go for a walk and then cram before it.)

A lot of the LC might be a regurgitation exercise, but it's always a good idea to have the ceann in good shape for thinkin' too, God forbid, if such a situation should arise! :eek: :P

jumpguy wrote: »
    Eh, I dunno, you should really have nearly everything done by then. Unless you went to bed early I wouldn't get up that early and be tired for the exam (I'd get up at 8 or so if my exam was in the afternoon though, and maybe go for a walk and then cram before it.)

A lot of the LC might be a regurgitation exercise, but it's always a good idea to have the ceann in good shape for thinkin' too, God forbid, if such a situation should arise! :eek: :P
    Well I don't actually intend on doing any of that...

At most i'll wake up two hours before the exam to have a final read over of things to keep them fresh in my memory so that I can recall them more readily.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

99% of my study is cramming but getting up at 5.30am is a bad idea (in my opinion) - a clear head will be much more beneficial than the few extra details that you learn that morning (and what if it doesn't come up - you have the extra tiredness for nothing).

I did the leaving cert - the day itself is tiring, especially if you have two exams. If you get up at 5.30am, study, do an exam or two then come home, any study you do that evening will be unproductive due to mental tiredness.

It's a marathon not a sprint, remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

5.30 sounds so early... i'd actaully prefer to stay up till like half one or 2 and get up just in time for the exam instead of doing that like??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Depends on the person I think. I wouldnt feel the need to cram before biology but I'd quite happily stay up all night going over irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

here's my plan for the next two weeks

next few days do some study and finish early on tuesday to go for a run and clear my head and get to bed early

Then

wednesday-Up at 7 relax take a few deep breaths
    study for paper 2

thursday up at 7 study for paper 2
    relax on thursday night

friday up at 7 and study maths
    run and relax on friday evening

Weekend- study for maths and irish(which will turn into business as i hate irish)

monday-exam in morning and afternoon
    go over business notes in the evening

tuesday
    up at 6 to look over irish
    then do the business and irish exam

look over history notes in the evening

wednesday
    french study in the morning( im an A1 in french so i can kind of leave it til last minute)
    history exam

relax for the evening

Thursday,friday,saturday,sunday, monday morning - study accounting

monday- accounting exam
    monday evening- down a naggin while burning my uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Duda17

I know wat i will be doing and that is cramming every chance i get. I absolutely swear by cramming. I always cram the night before an exam and the morning and it is always that stuff that i have just gone over that i remember in the exam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

wednesday
    french study in the morning( im an A1 in french so i can kind of leave it til last minute)

What's that supposed to mean,are you guaranteed an A1 in French or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

Girls can masturbate too if it relaxes ye :D

Girls can masturbate too if it relaxes ye :D

Think I'll pass on that one..! :L

Think I'll pass on that one..! :L

All lads know ye do it, ye just won't admit it :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

NotExactly wrote: »
    What's that supposed to mean,are you guaranteed an A1 in French or something?

I think it means they're very good at French and they're confident in their ability to get an A1. nO NeEd tO gEt oFfENdeD!

Framble wrote: »
    I think it means they're very good at French and they're confident in their ability to get an A1. nO NeEd tO gEt oFfENdeD!

It seems abit cocky TBH. nO nEeD tO TpYe lIKe a tW@t!

• Advertisement

Well to be honest... if someone's genuinely fluent at French then the French exam would be trivially easy.

Advertisement