Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build, for a friend

Options
  • 04-06-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

His Budget is around 1k, needs a monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard etc.

Here's what I came up with:
    161667.png
    006e8n305

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Have you got a windows 7 HP install disc?

If so, buy the German version and save €35 and just use the key on that.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28239

Or save €36 and get the 32-bit version. The key should still work with a 64-bit English disc.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28238

I'd avoid the green drive as a primary OS drive.

Everything else looks fine... aside from the stock levels. Hardwareversand has gone slow for me again but I'd have a look to see if there's any way that I could squeeze a 2500K out of it - spend extra from the OS, money left over, maybe scale back the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Monotype wrote: »
    Have you got a windows 7 HP install disc?

If so, buy the German version and save €35 and just use the key on that.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28239

Or save €36 and get the 32-bit version. The key should still work with a 64-bit English disc.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28238

I'd avoid the green drive as a primary OS drive.

Everything else looks fine... aside from the stock levels. Hardwareversand has gone slow for me again but I'd have a look to see if there's any way that I could squeeze a 2500K out of it - spend extra from the OS, money left over, maybe scale back the case?

I don't have any other install disc I can use unfortunately.
    Thanks for the info about the drive, I just saw Barracuda and 7200.12 and thought it was the normal version.
    It'd be great if I could squeeze out a 2500k, but if not, he'll still be happy with it.

Thanks for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I don't have any other install disc I can use unfortunately.
    Thanks for the info about the drive, I just saw Barracuda and 7200.12 and thought it was the normal version.
    It'd be great if I could squeeze out a 2500k, but if not, he'll still be happy with it.

Thanks for the help :)

If you have a flash drive around would be worth saving the 35 quid and using that to install windows.

Im guessing your going to be overclocking since your getting that cooler. It is a fair size yoke but you should have no trouble in the HAF and it runs very quiet.

deejer wrote: »
    If you have a flash drive around would be worth saving the 35 quid and using that to install windows.

Im guessing your going to be overclocking since your getting that cooler. It is a fair size yoke but you should have no trouble in the HAF and it runs very quiet.

I have several flash drives, I think I'll do this then :)

EDIT: He says he doesn't mind going over by a bit, so I changed it around a tad:
    161726.png

Doing well on another Eur100 alright :)

This is a better motherboard though I think from what I have read. It has SLI and is better at overclocking and its cheaper. I am assuming its why this MB and the i5 are both out of stock :(

Did you try and price this build on scan? Better chance of getting things in stock and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in price at the moment. Especially with the Euro at 89p

• Advertisement

This is your order with HWVS without the mouse, speakers and windows and a couple of small changes :). It is going to be a small bit dearer maybe alright but everything is in stock today!

Edit: I'm not sure about the power supply. I know Solitaire was saying stay away from one of the corsair ranges but not sure which one! Also there is GBP7.99 off carriage if you are a member of avforms.

161733.png

Scan stock Silverstone PSUs which are mostly good. If you are ordering at the weekend, there's usually good offers on the today only page with the high quality modular coolermaster PSUs (don't buy cheap coolermaster PSUs - GX, elite, extreme) and XFX PSUs.

Installing from a USB stick works well. It's definitely handier and quieter, but I doubt it's faster. Perhaps with USB 3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

I'll probably be getting him to split the parts between Scan and HWVS. Getting whichever's cheapest and in-stock. Thanks for all the help guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Installing from a USB stick works well. It's definitely handier and quieter, but I doubt it's faster. ..
    Takes about 10 mins. Faster IMO.

• Advertisement

If you have a fast USB stick, it would make a difference alright. Most DVD drives around seem to be 16x speed. This translates to 21MBps. A lot of USB drives tend to be below that - often 12-15 read. I suppose if you have one of the faster sticks it will always be worth it. It's certainly more convenient than having a load of discs around anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

I heard that corsair 500w from scan is not great. Go with an antec or superflower.

He wants to order soon, am I missing anything?
    162187.png

Mmm... those 6870s are getting cheap.

Is that RAM 1.5V? Some of the 1155 boards have been fussy about that.

Also, you should suggest homeplugs instead of wireless (although don't buy them from hardwareversand).

Edit: 32-bit is €1.03 cheaper. You might as well avail of it if you are not using the disc itself. It should make no difference to the key.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28238

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I don't think a big cooler such as the mugen is necessary for Sandy Bridge overclocking. Though it is one of the quieter ones.

Mmm... those 6870s are getting cheap.

Is that RAM 1.5V? Some of the 1155 boards have been fussy about that.

Also, you should suggest homeplugs instead of wireless (although don't buy them from hardwareversand).

Edit: 32-bit is €1.03 cheaper. You might as well avail of it if you are not using the disc itself. It should make no difference to the key.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28238

That €1 is something that is not worth the risk to me.

I might get him to use the homeplugs, I'll ask him about it, and I'll swap the RAM.

EDIT: RAM is 1.65V

Advertisement