Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 broadband Rip-off - €277 for 8 days

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

D1stant wrote: »
    And contention also occurs in fixed networks. Most DSLAMs are oversubscribed 40:1 for residential broadband

You're mixing up contention with congestion. 40:1 contention is not a bad thing, and a fixed line network can easily be designed to handle it. That is not the case with 3G. 3G speeds are quoted as maximum and only apply to a single user in a cell, and only if the user is close enough to the mast. More users in a cell means the bandwidth available goes down dramatically. Fixed line networks can handle multiple users at full throttle.
    A blanket statement like that is just not accurate

Much like all of your statements then, which are inaccurate and unhelpful.
    I get it from 3GPP. The guys who standardised GSM, 3G and now LTE. LTE can support much faster speeds than DSL.

3GPP is an advocacy group whos job it is to bestow the virtues of 3G technology, not to enlighten all about it's negative as well as positive sides. Not at all biased then.

Congratulations, you've bought into the myth that our previous minister for communications tried to sell us. A lot of people are now discovering the truth, and are not too happy about what was sold to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

jor el wrote: »
    You're mixing up contention with congestion. 40:1 contention is not a bad thing, and a fixed line network can easily be designed to handle it. That is not the case with 3G. 3G speeds are quoted as maximum and only apply to a single user in a cell, and only if the user is close enough to the mast. More users in a cell means the bandwidth available goes down dramatically. Fixed line networks can handle multiple users at full throttle.

Much like all of your statements then, which are inaccurate and unhelpful.

3GPP is an advocacy group whos job it is to bestow the virtues of 3G technology, not to enlighten all about it's negative as well as positive sides. Not at all biased then.

Congratulations, you've bought into the myth that our previous minister for communications tried to sell us. A lot of people are now discovering the truth, and are not too happy about what was sold to them.

Oh whatever. You havent a clue what you are talking about. An advocacy group. FFS

Im not intersted in 'arguing this' anymore. If you believe that the mobile operators have a significantly different cost architecture and that justifies them screwing the consumer then off with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you believe that the mobile operators have a significantly different cost architecture and that justifies them screwing the consumer then off with you

They do. Your refusal to accept that aside, it's a simple fact that 3G networks are fundamentally different, in cost structure as well as design, than cabled networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Profondo Rosso

The joke is on the OP in my opinion.

I have used O2 for 2 years and abide by their usage policy. If I go over I'm careful not to over-do it. Going over it by 13GB is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I still can't get my head around that amount of usage but that's me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Meteor!

...that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

LoTwan wrote: »

I've seen much much more than that used. Often its parents who have bought mobile broadband after never having broadband and the kids use the allowance in the first few days. Then there are people that believe the lies that the sales people tell them and get rid of fixed line broadband and get mobile broadband as a replacement because its "cheaper" :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LoTwan wrote: »
    I've seen regular automatic updates eat your cap very easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

There's a serious issue with O2 not updating their data usage frequently, sometimes for days. So if your check you account on-line and see that you have 1GB left, you may in fact have gone over your limit without realising and of course you'll be charged through the teeth. The whole service is shoddy, slow and customer relations are awful. But this is Ireland - it's not like we need regulation or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

jor el wrote: »
    They do. Your refusal to accept that aside, it's a simple fact that 3G networks are fundamentally different, in cost structure as well as design, than cabled networks.

Just confirming that D1stant is completely wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement