Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-EU and trying to open an Irish bank account

Options
  • 04-06-2011 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello.

I moved to Ireland about 7-8 months ago. I attempted to open a bank account but it became enough of an issue that after a month or two I gave up on it out of absolute frustration.

Now that I'm calmed down a bit from the whole ordeal, I am ready to revisit the issue. What it was that was holding me up was that the bank required me to have a proof of address, but since I rent at house shares and don't have an Irish bank account (to open a Irish bank account) I don't have proof of address. Supposedly I could have used my PPS letter to open the account, but that letter was lost.

When I tried contacting the PPS people and asking very kindly for them to send me another copy of the letter they refused. Stating very clearly that the banks are not supposed to be using those letters as a proof of address anyway. But without that letter I cannot make any headway.

Is there anything I can do? I have a working holiday visa, but choose to be employed by a company outside of Ireland for the time being. I have a Canadian bank account, but a letter from them doesn't count because the letter needs to come from within Ireland.

So without bills in my name, a PPS letter, a job or bank account specifically within Ireland what can I do? There is a rumour I could open an account at a credit union. Have them send me a letter, it is incredibly stupid but might just work considering how incredibly stupid the law is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Surely credit union would need a proof of address also to open an account, these days you even need a proof of address to get a mobile phone (bill phone)

Its government legislation which governs the account opening process I am sure there are similar rules in your country these are our rules so you have to comply with them. If you live in rented house surely an gas or electric bill comes to the house could you not get the bill in your name ? It's not rocket science there are ways around most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Credit union have the same legal obligation to verify your identity as the bank does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mr.Kequc

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Its government legislation which governs the account opening process I am sure there are similar rules in your country these are our rules so you have to comply with them. If you live in rented house surely an gas or electric bill comes to the house could you not get the bill in your name ? It's not rocket science there are ways around most things.

Peh. I've worked on this for two months minimum, ultimately 8 months. It's fairly impossible. What's the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Go into your local welfare office and get a letter, don't ring them. It's approved by the bank as address verification. The issue that they may or may not be allowed use them is between the welfare and the bank, its not your concern.

Mr.Kequc wrote: »
    Peh. I've worked on this for two months minimum, ultimately 8 months. It's fairly impossible. What's the reason?

Its LEGISLATION my friend. Is there no legislation where your from ?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0015/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Have you a driving licence?

Can be used as address verification if not already used as proof of identity.

Are you on the electoral register? Also can be used.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Only works if it's an Irish driving licence AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Some places don't take drivers as you are not obligated to change your address on your licence if you move home.

Legal requirement for account opening is;

1. Photo ID (Passport/driving licence)
    2. Proof of address i.e. utility bill, bank statement etc address on driving licence DOES NOT cover you for proof of address.

Could I take my Canadian (full) drivers licence and apply for a International, or EU driving license? I suppose, since it's a full drivers license that I won't have to take further testing and perhaps then they'll send me a letter in the mail.

Then I could use that letter?

Or, I could apply to be on the electoral register and they would send me a letter about that. All I feel I really need is a letter from an official institution, in order for that to be enough "proof" for these people.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This is standard practice through out the EU. If you have a properly authorised working visa for Ireland then you should have sufficient documentation to open a bank account. However, your comment about working for a non Irish company suggests that there may be a grey area here... hence your difficulties with the banks.

Jim

Yeah I've been having lots of difficulties. I can work from within Ireland, but if I did go get a job, just so that they'd send me something in the mail so that I'd be able to open a bank account. I fear that the paperwork would be extensive, plus I'd have to worry about filing Irish taxes, later on. All that.

I'd really just like a new bank account to use. A letter from my current bank is not sufficient because it's not from within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Why do you not have proof of address based on your tenancy agreement - and if you don't have one, get one. Problem sorted.

n900guy wrote: »
    Why do you not have proof of address based on your tenancy agreement - and if you don't have one, get one. Problem sorted.

I'm going to do this tomorrow. I was not on any lease or anything like that, I am now so perhaps there is something my landlord can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Could I take my Canadian (full) drivers licence and apply for a International, or EU driving license? I suppose, since it's a full drivers license that I won't have to take further testing and perhaps then they'll send me a letter in the mail.

You will have to do a driving test in Ireland if you want and Irish license. Your Canadian one is only valid for 1 year afaik.

Yeah I've been having lots of difficulties. I can work from within Ireland, but if I did go get a job, just so that they'd send me something in the mail so that I'd be able to open a bank account. I fear that the paperwork would be extensive, plus I'd have to worry about filing Irish taxes, later on. All that.

I'd really just like a new bank account to use. A letter from my current bank is not sufficient because it's not from within Ireland.

Sounds dofgy when u say filing irish taxes, if the company is not in Ireland what are you doing here in the first place.

I don't like you Rebel1977.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't like you Rebel1977.

Haha!! But Rebal1977 has a point if you work for non Irish company. What are you doing here.

Haha!! But Rebal1977 has a point if you work for non Irish company. What are you doing here.

Cheers wotzgoinon. It's true, either working here or just sponging on the state.

Fascinating as it may be folks, it's irrelevant to the query. Keep the speculation and snipes to yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Hello.

I moved to Ireland about 7-8 months ago. I attempted to open a bank account but it became enough of an issue that after a month or two I gave up on it out of absolute frustration.

Now that I'm calmed down a bit from the whole ordeal, I am ready to revisit the issue. What it was that was holding me up was that the bank required me to have a proof of address, but since I rent at house shares and don't have an Irish bank account (to open a Irish bank account) I don't have proof of address. Supposedly I could have used my PPS letter to open the account, but that letter was lost.

When I tried contacting the PPS people and asking very kindly for them to send me another copy of the letter they refused. Stating very clearly that the banks are not supposed to be using those letters as a proof of address anyway. But without that letter I cannot make any headway.

Is there anything I can do? I have a working holiday visa, but choose to be employed by a company outside of Ireland for the time being. I have a Canadian bank account, but a letter from them doesn't count because the letter needs to come from within Ireland.

So without bills in my name, a PPS letter, a job or bank account specifically within Ireland what can I do? There is a rumour I could open an account at a credit union. Have them send me a letter, it is incredibly stupid but might just work considering how incredibly stupid the law is.

I lived outside ROI for 13 years. When i moved back i had a bit of bother opening an account. In the end the bank just sent me a letter and i took that back into them as proof, it was their suggestion. Ask them if that will do, you may need to try a few (all) of the high street banks. I never asked questions (why would i?) about the legality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hatch-it Man

If you have a workmate, friend (or your Landlord) in Ireland who is already a customer with the bank they can write you a letter of Introduction to verify your address or if your Employer banks with an Irish Bank they could write a letter of Introduction.

If you have changed the address with your Canadian Bank to your Irish address then the Irish bank should be able to accept that along with a letter from your Canadian Bank stating that they know you. ( prob a long shot but I've seen it accepted loads of times )

Do you not have a mobile phone bill or Broadband bill you could use ?
    If you do decide to start paying taxes, a letter from the Revenue will do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

If you have a workmate, friend (or your Landlord) in Ireland who is already a customer with the bank they can write you a letter of Introduction to verify your address or if your Employer banks with an Irish Bank they could write a letter of Introduction.

If you have changed the address with your Canadian Bank to your Irish address then the Irish bank should be able to accept that along with a letter from your Canadian Bank stating that they know you. ( prob a long shot but I've seen it accepted loads of times )

Do you not have a mobile phone bill or Broadband bill you could use ?
    If you do decide to start paying taxes, a letter from the Revenue will do too.

Mobile phone bills are not acceptable as address verification.

Utility bills are needed - ESB, Eircom, Bord Gais etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hatch-it Man

Mobile phone bills are not acceptable as address verification.

Utility bills are needed - ESB, Eircom, Bord Gais etc.

Guess it depends on the Bank... my bank will accept Bills from any established mobile Phone provider... ie O2 or Vodafone. Once the bill is recent.
    You'll just have to make enquiries at different banks, should be the same answer everywhere but I'm sure there will be slight differences in what's accepted or not.

I've had to delete 2 posts from this thread. Keep it on topic folks, or don't participate.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Fascinating as it may be folks, it's irrelevant to the query. Keep the speculation and snipes to yourselves.

If it's actually a fascinating thing to talk about (??) I can tell you that... basically I'm here spending money. I've been here spending money ever since I arrived.

Recently I earned a sum of money and my client wanted to use Paypal. Now apparently I need to pay for conversion not only from CAD to EUR, but also USD to CAD, first. If I have a european bank account finally, I can just pay to convert the amount once.

Maybe I just like Ireland?

Do I qualify honestly to leech off the state if I am a foreigner not even allowed to stay in the country longer than a year? And who cannot even open a bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Don't feel the need to explain yourself bud. Some people just like complaining.
    What another poster said bout getting the bank to send you a letter and you return it as proof might be worth asking about.

Didn't really know how to respond to rebel1977. To be pretty honest I'm not used to experiencing such a great deal of bigotry, being a white canadian male.

I tried today at the bank with a letter from my landlord, they suggested I get the revenue people to send me a letter about anything. I didn't think to ask if the bank could send me a letter, that is a good idea.

This all seems pretty silly though. What if I move? What is this highly coveted address for? I'll keep you all up to date with what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clittle

Hi, My friend has come to stay with my family from Australia and has a one year visa to work. To open up a back account he needs to get something official with our home address on it. He is staying as our guest and not our tenant so we haven't set up anything to give him an official letter of any kind. He is also applying for jobs at the minute and does not have an a pps number. Im not really sure what advice to give him to get his address registered on an official letter.
    Can someone please help? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

clittle wrote: »
    Hi, My friend has come to stay with my family from Australia and has a one year visa to work. To open up a back account he needs to get something official with our home address on it. He is staying as our guest and not our tenant so we haven't set up anything to give him an official letter of any kind. He is also applying for jobs at the minute and does not have an a pps number. Im not really sure what advice to give him to get his address registered on an official letter.
    Can someone please help? Thanks

A possible option would be for you to act as a guarantor on your friends bank account. (do they still do this?, i did it about 8 or 9 years ago for a friend in the uk).

That means you would start an account for him and you would sign it off as 'guaranteed' by you. Something very basic with no overdraft facility and cashcard only, not that you would be able to get anything else anyway.

Advertisement