Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What colour to paint a rental home??

• 04-06-2011 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

My mate is going to rent out his home,as he is moving to the Uk for a year to work over there.

He in the process of painting it,and so far he has the hall landing and kitcvhen area painted in white.he has buckets upon buckets of Crwon white at his disposal.

He says that "magnolia" is boring and too common in rented homes,but 2 estste agents that have viewed the house seem to suggest painting the rooms in magnolia.

So is it ok for him to paint the rooms in white and will this affect rental income/values??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

Imho colour of paint doesn't make a blind bit of difference. What's more important is that the place is clean and well maintained and that everything works i.e. showers, washing machine, dishwasher etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Imho colour of paint doesn't make a blind bit of difference. What's more important is that the place is clean and well maintained and that everything works i.e. showers, washing machine, dishwasher etc

My mates house is very clean and tidy and a fully working modern kitchen (2 years old).

He just decided to give the place a lick of paint.

Hes off to the UK to work on some of the 2012 Olympic sites for the next year or so.So he is being put up over there by the company he is working for,and hes decided to rent out his home,just to make some extra cash.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The colour does make a difference to people's first impression of the property and that could make the difference of 50 or 100 euros in what people will pay. You need to keep colours pretty neutral. What may seem like an interesting colour choice to you may be garish and offputting for somebody looking for somewhere to rent.

Here's my suggestion: paint a light grey. At the paint mixing counter, get them to show you the greys. I'd suggest the lightest grey if the house is dark, the second-lightest if it is pretty bright. You can also use the lighter in one place and the darker in another close by, it'll look pretty good.

They can add the pigment to 10-litre tubs of white, and this can keep the costs down.

The benefit of this over plain white is that it won't show dirt so much.

Use white all the way for the ceilings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

White is cold Magnolia is warm. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, magnolia is very common and very cheap. That's why they use it. word to the wise though, Pick one brand and stick with it. different brands are different shades of magnolia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

We've rented apartments and houses since i was a kid and i have a house rented also.

Tell your friend to paint it what ever colour he likes... but in time he will learn - and eventually paint it magnolia or any other colour thats neutral and easy to find again ;)

Advertisement