Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom-what a let down.

Options
  • 04-06-2011 9:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

What a let down,people have no imagination in this country.

All the show gardens were more or less the same,tree ferns,grasses and woodland themes and no real use of propper flowers.

How the feck that container themed garden won supergarden is beyond me.

Totally bland in my opinion.

Me and the girlfriend left Bloom with out seeing anything that stood out and caught our imagination.

Oh and charging 15 euro 50 cents for 2 sambos and 2 cups of tea is not my idea or value for money,so I told the sandwich bar lady that she could take the sambos and teas back and I would keep my money.

Absolute ripp off for everything in Bloom.:mad:

Let down indeed.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Ive always been of the opinion these shows are staged by posers for posers.
    I was listening to some guy the other day bemoaning the lack of "contexuality" of a particular exhibit. FFS, what's that got to do with getting your spuds in on time or propagating your fuchsias?
    It may appeal to some people but I'm not one of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bmaxi wrote: »
    I was listening to some guy the other day bemoaning the lack of "contexuality" of a particular exhibit. FFS, what's that got to do with getting your spuds in on time or propagating your fuchsias?
    you can take these shows as you find them, or you can listen to other people's opinions.
    i haven't seen the show gardens this year, but a few years ago when i was last there i got some good ideas. regardless of the waffle surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

okay, its not that bad. and at least we have a show over here. its no chelsea and its not fair to compare it.

dermot gavin won a gold at chelsea this year, it would never have happened in ireland, we are just too small a nation. so there is imaginative designs from irish people and they are on the biggest stage (where they belong). unfortunately that means the likes of bloom has to be bypassed.

i absolutely agree with the op about the choice of plants, they seem to be secondary to the design. ferns and hostas, thats where its at.

prices? i love plants, and didnt buy one. 8 euro for the few perennials i looked at seemed steep, couldnt stomach that myself. coffee was fine and i stuffed myself on the free samples in the food village.

overall at least we have a show and its probably as good as we could hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

This is unfair and harsh. I thought Bloom was excellent. Some of the show gardens might have been poor but in Chelsea they spend MILLIONS on each garden. The money just is not in this country to do that. The Chinese garden The VW garden and one or two others would not have been out of place in chelsea even if they might not win gold there (although these days at Chelsea its easier to win Gold than past years). The rest of the Bloom event is an excellent show case for Irish gardening food craft and fashion. There is a lot of stuff I was not interested in but I found a lot of things I was interested in. But unlike some of the previous posters I dont expect them to design the show around my personal likes and interests so maybe that means i'm easily pleased.

Cost wise i have a local nursery that I find very hard to beat on price but i found some excellent bargains in plants at bloom. There were plants there for €8 at one stand that were €11 at another (and were 9.99 in lidl just this last Thursday). Shopping around and haggling was required but i think most people do that in everyday life now. In terms of food yes it was expensive but again you get that at every show festival and match. They have a captive audience and they charge extra. So do the Gaa IRFU oxygen zoo etc. Bring your own sandwiches or pay the price. I thought admission price at the gates was high at €20 but there were lots of 2 for one vouchers in the papers and shops which made it €10 if you brought a friend or paired up with a stranger on the way in as lots of people seemed to be doing. Also Kids were free which meant a family of 4 could get in for the same as €5 a head. Where would you get that elsewhere. The artisan food was expensive but it was like the mother of all farmers markets and those places are not for the fiscally challenged anywhere in the country.

I enjoyed the event and would recommend it. Others didnt but you cant please everyone especially in this island of misery and begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »
    Whate a let down,people have no imagination in this country.

All the show gardens were more or less the same,tree ferns,grasses and woodland themes and no real use of propper flowers.

How the feck that container themed garden won supergarden is beyond me.

Totally bland in my opinion.

Me and the girlfriend left Bloom with out seeing anything that stood out and caught our imagination.

Oh and charging 15 euro 50 cents for 2 sambos and 2 cups of tea is not my idea or value for money,so I told the sandwich bar lady that she could take the sambos and teas back and I would keep my money.

Absolute ripp off for everything in Bloom.:mad:

Let down indeed.:(

Still haven't found what you're looking for?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

HHhhhmmm

Is it worth going? I've only gotten into gardening in the last year or two, mostly growing edibles.

Do they sell seeds/seedlings and garden tools. I've wary of taking in unknown soil so anything grown hydophonically (sp) would be great.

Will definately find a stranger to buddy up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do you not look at the price list before ordering something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I had a great time, really enjoyed it. Have been to all of them to date and I thought this was the best year by far in terms of layout and organisation and all the rest of it. The food village was much better than it normally is, the crafty stalls (not into them myself) were really well laid out and the whole thing in terms of the exhibits looked brilliant - they have really upped their game this year. And there is something in it for everyone I think. They even had a small petting farm for the kids with lambs and piggies and a really good play area.

I didn't buy much either, but I really enjoyed it (bought a ladybird house, one plant as a gift and pre-ordered some alium for next year). I already have most of my plants in so I don't really need anything at this stage.

The Walled Garden looked brilliant, as it always does, but I didn't think the show gardens were particularly interesting this year. They were all along the same theme - recycling, ferns, grasses. There was more imagination and variety in previous years I think. But there was a real push on growing your own this year, and I thought some of those exhibits, and all of the paraphanelia and tools and stuff you could buy were brilliant. Got some great ideas from that end of things.

We got in with a 2 for 1 voucher from the Times and had a hot dog for lunch, so it wasn't an expensive day. And there were loads of people there who had their own packed sandwiches OP, your own fault for not engaging your brain on that front!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

unkel wrote: »
    Do you not look at the price list before ordering something? :confused:

NO PRICE LISTS on display from the 2 sandwich bar places.:mad:

Had to ask the price 3 times,before some non english speaking lady eventually decided to blurt out the price to me.

HHhhhmmm

Do they sell seeds/seedlings and garden tools.

Yes,at stupidly INFLATED prices.

Why??

Oh yes,because its Bloom.:rolleyes:

An unbranded 30 meters of garden hose costing 25 euro on its own.
    Exact same 30 meter hose is currently 12 euro in Aldi and also BnQ

90 euro for a 200 litre water butt(supposedly on special offer at Bloom:rolleyes:).
    Yet it can be bought in any builders providers for 65 euro.

• Advertisement

Sheep,cows and lambs were baked alive in the heat.

My girlfriend had to go to the organisers and complain about the way in which the animals were penned into such small spaces and no shade from the sun and heat.The lambs were clearly in distress,yet no one gave a fcuk about it.:mad:

The 1 good thing about the few hours that we were at Bloom,is that she met up with her old workmates,when she used to work in the Victorian walled gardens and maintain them.It was nice to meet up with some of her old work mates.

some pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

yep i agree..it;s a rip..full of pretentious dicks. i wont be going for another 5 years. went the last 2 years and nothing had changed. show gardens were nothing special. everything overpriced which is to be expected. there was one lovely japanese styled garden this year. while viewing it i overheard a woman behind me was telling her friend how much she liked and how different it was..at one stage she said "you could eat your dinner out there!!" typically irish.

yep i agree..it;s a rip..full of pretentious dicks. i wont be going for another 5 years. went the last 2 years and nothing had changed. show gardens were nothing special. everything overpriced which is to be expected. there was one lovely japanese styled garden this year. while viewing it i overheard a woman behind me was telling her friend how much she liked and how different it was..at one stage she said "you could eat your dinner out there!!" typically irish.

A good few chancers who try to make a fast buck imo.

That sadly takes away from the people who are there to genuinely help and show their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

thats a lovely garden...you could eat your dinner out there.

thats a lovely garden...you could eat your dinner out there.

lol.:D

You would like the Japanese Gardens then,down at the National Horse Stud in Killdare.:)

you can take these shows as you find them, or you can listen to other people's opinions.
    i haven't seen the show gardens this year, but a few years ago when i was last there i got some good ideas. regardless of the waffle surrounding it.

The waffle is exactly the part that pisses me off. It's like someone trying to convince me that their Picasso is a thing of beauty, it's not, it's ugly, but because a particular section of the "nothing much else to do" brigade have decided it's a thing of beauty then the ladder climbers and posers will migrate to it like bees to honey.
    There is very little chance that most of what was on display in Chelsea or Bloom will have any relevance to what goes on in the average garden, of course it's always nice to see the new varieties and the prize winning plants but the show gardens? Can you ever expect to see Gavin's concoction appearing in a semi down the road, just one set of posers indulging another.
    You're more likely to get good gardening ideas at a family run nursery or at an allotment.

Yes,at stupidly INFLATED prices.

Why??

Oh yes,because its Bloom.:rolleyes:

An unbranded 30 meters of garden hose costing 25 euro on its own.
    Exact same 30 meter hose is currently 12 euro in Aldi and also BnQ

90 euro for a 200 litre water butt(supposedly on special offer at Bloom:rolleyes:).
    Yet it can be bought in any builders providers for 65 euro.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about, no idea of the cost structures applying to Bloom exhibitors etc etc. Limited firsthand knowledge but plenty of moaning. Why don't you go find your boulder for your feature garden, and allow the many 000's who regularly visit Bloom enjoy their day out.

BTW, not everyone rates value solely on cheapie cheapie cheap cheap!

You haven't a clue what you're talking about, no idea of the cost structures applying to Bloom exhibitors etc etc. Limited firsthand knowledge but plenty of moaning. Why don't you go find your boulder for your feature garden, and allow the many 000's who regularly visit Bloom enjoy their day out.

BTW, not everyone rates value solely on cheapie cheapie cheap cheap!

Eh,I Do actually know what Im talking about.

Why dont you shut up having a go at me and go and take your "so called" advice to someone else who will listen to you like you are God,when you clearly aint all that,far from it in fact.

The waffle is exactly the part that pisses me off. It's like someone trying to convince me that their Picasso is a thing of beauty, it's not, it's ugly, but because a particular section of the "nothing much else to do" brigade have decided it's a thing of beauty then the ladder climbers and posers will migrate to it like bees to honey.
    There is very little chance that most of what was on display in Chelsea or Bloom will have any relevance to what goes on in the average garden, of course it's always nice to see the new varieties and the prize winning plants but the show gardens? Can you ever expect to see Gavin's concoction appearing in a semi down the road, just one set of posers indulging another.
    You're more likely to get good gardening ideas at a family run nursery or at an allotment.

Small minds make for smaller horizons. Diversity is healthier than convention. BTW to see art merely in terms of beauty is to miss most of the fundamental appeal of art. To dismiss Picasso as ugly is well lets leave it as your opinion.

Are you an authority on what goes on in average semi gardens? Are you not aware of the various categories at Chelsea and Bloom? Clearly not, so if you cannot read, you hardly expect support for your visual ignorance?

Few like posers but we can do without stupid criticism.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paddy147, attack the post not the poster.
    Any more of this and I'll be handing out bans

If you have a problem with a post then use report post feature but its not your place to tell another poster to shut up

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    paddy147, attack the post not the poster.
    Any more of this and I'll be handing out bans

If you have a problem with a post then use report post feature but its not your place to tell another poster to shut up

I said "shut up" in the context of what I actually posted........."Why dont you shut up having a go at me".

So does Sonnenblumen get a warning too then for his posts here so far????????

2 more pics

That rather unusual but beautifully constructed garden is of Chinese origin. In fact the IRE-SU garden (based on typical Suzhou garden elements) was sponsored by Suzhou Municipal Administrative Bureau of Garden and constructed by the Suzhou Garden Development Co. Ltd.

After Bloom, the Chinese Authorities have very kindly donated the garden which will re-built in a new location, St Anne's park, Raheny.

Small minds make for smaller horizons. Diversity is healthier than convention. BTW to see art merely in terms of beauty is to miss most of the fundamental appeal of art. To dismiss Picasso as ugly is well lets leave it as your opinion.

Are you an authority on what goes on in average semi gardens? Are you not aware of the various categories at Chelsea and Bloom? Clearly not, so if you cannot read, you hardly expect support for your visual ignorance?

Few like posers but we can do without stupid criticism.

Thankfully, unlike yourself, my mind and my head are in correct proportion.
    It is my opinion and the opinion of many others that Picasso is ugly, it falls to a certain breed of pretentious wafflers to see it as anything else.
    I selected the show gardens as the category which least appeals to me and I said that I do like to see the various new varieties and the top plants so obviously, of the two of us, I'm not the one who can't read.
    I'd be delighted to know of any "Sky Gardens" you have come across in average suburban semis recently, perhaps a few photos and a map of the location so all those interested can go and see.

It is my opinion and the opinion of many others that Picasso is ugly, it falls to a certain breed of pretentious wafflers to see it as anything else.
    I selected the show gardens as the category which least appeals to me and I said that I do like to see the various new varieties and the top plants so obviously, of the two of us, I'm not the one who can't read.
    I'd be delighted to know of any "Sky Gardens" you have come across in average suburban semis recently, perhaps a few photos and a map of the location so all those interested can go and see.

I'm tired of hearing whingers coming on to a garden forum criticising the efforts of the many people who were involved in the Bloom show gardens as 'posers'? I cannot recall a more diversified group who made valiant efforts to realise and construct their individual show gardens. Yes some (a few) were inspired/sponsored by Corporates, but many relied on self finance to make it happen. Others were inspired by love of a particular theme, others promoted health awareness, some trying to find a new career and perhaps a new and viable future. Others included community/social groups, school children, student groups etc. All in all a very wide range than the usual representation one would expect. All stood up bravely to have their individual efforts displayed and judged and the visiting public were by and large impressed. Of course opinion will differ.

Have you or your ilk ever done something similar? Probably not. You have your opinions, but try some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That would be narrow minded then?

I'm tired of hearing whingers coming on to a garden forum criticising the efforts of the many people who were involved in the Bloom show gardens as 'posers'? I cannot recall a more diversified group who made valiant efforts to realise and construct their individual show gardens. Yes some (a few) were inspired/sponsored by Corporates, but many relied on self finance to make it happen. Others were inspired by love of a particular theme, others promoted health awareness, some trying to find a new career and perhaps a new and viable future. Others included community/social groups, school children, student groups etc. All in all a very wide range than the usual representation one would expect. All stood up bravely to have their individual efforts displayed and judged and the visiting public were by and large impressed. Of course opinion will differ.

Have you or your ilk ever done something similar? Probably not. You have your opinions, but try some respect.

You presume to know what I have or haven't done now, does your arrogance know no bounds? I'm sure a lot of work went into the provision of the show gardens and I'm also sure it was with a goal in mind so don't give me any of the high minded, public spirited spiel.

All very public spirited I'm sure, just like the rip off prices quoted by other posters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but the sky garden wasn't pretending to be a garden you can pick up and place down in a suburban setting.
    the show gardens are meant to be a 'what if money and utility was no object' exercise, and as i was saying, i haven't seen them this year. last time i saw them, a few years ago, a lot left me cold but i did see a lot i liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Percy Thrower was and always will be the One and Only!

• Advertisement

but the sky garden wasn't pretending to be a garden you can pick up and place down in a suburban setting.
    the show gardens are meant to be a 'what if money and utility was no object' exercise, and as i was saying, i haven't seen them this year. last time i saw them, a few years ago, a lot left me cold but i did see a lot i liked.

I know that and I never said it was but our mutual friend, in his reply, implied that to suggest the likes of it wouldn't be, showed ignorance on my part.
    I just failed to be in awe of his notional "superior" intellect.

Advertisement