Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

important hamlet quotes ?

• 04-06-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

title says it all ..which do you think are the must need quotes ? my teacher basically got us to highlight the whole book so i dont know what to learn :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

I have two or three pages of them. They're all pretty easy though, I'll give you the most popular ones:

Hamlet:
    Smiling, damned villain - On Claudius.
    He hath killed my king, and whored my mother - Same.
    Within a month, ere yet the salt of most unrighteous tears had left the flushing in her galled eyes, she married - On Gertrude.
    Get thee to a nunnery. Why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners? - To Ophelia.
    Thou wretched, rash, intruding fool, farewell I took thee for thy better - On Polonius' death.
    Or that the everlasting had not fixed his canon'gainst self-slaughter - On Suicide.
    Consience does make cowards of us all
    - On himself.
    I essentially am not in madness, but mad in craft - to Gertrude.

Claudius:
    His liberty is full of threats to us all - On Hamlet.
    O my offence is rank, it smells to heaven - On his "dear brother's" murder.
    He's loved by the distracted multitude - On Hamlet.
    Gertrude, do not drink! ... It is too late - Claudius.

Ghost:
    The serpent that did sting thy father's life, now wears his crown - On Claudius.
    Adulterate beast and Incestuous - On Claudius + his relationship with Gertrude.

Polonius:
    Give every man thine ear, but thy voice - advising Laertes (lol)
    Though this be madness, yet there be method in it - On Hamlet.

Gertrude:
    More matter with less art - On Polonius

P.s. this is a very small amount of the quotes you should be learning off. I have a load more but it would take ages to write out, so I'm kind of banking on every one else providing you with more useful ones : ) Also, I apologise if any of them are wrong, and I'm pretty sure some of them might have punctuation mistakes so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

'' to be or not to be''
    ''incestuous sheets''
    ''all is not well, i doubt some foul play''
    '' Let not the royal bed of denmark be a couch for luxury and dammed incest''
    '' Revenge his foul and most unnatural death''
    '' Tis brief, my lord, as womans love''
    " Th plays the thing wherin ill catch the conscience of the king"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Here's the ones which have been taped to my bedroom wall for the last few months:

HAMLET
    The play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king

Frailty, thy name is woman

So excellent a king that was to this Hyperion to a satyr

Married with mine uncle, my father's brother, but no more like my father than I to Hercules

O most wicked speed, to post with such dexterity to incestuous sheets

The play within the play

He was a man, take him for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again

My father's spirit in arms! All is not well. I doubt some foul play

A beast that wants discourse of reason would have mourned longer

Alas, poor yorik...I knew him

GHOST

O'er hasty

Taint not thy mind, nor let thy soul contrive against thy mother aught

So art thou to revenge, when thou shalt hear

I am thy father's spirit

Doomed for a certain term to walk the night, and for the day confin'd to fast in fires, til the foul crimes done in my days of nature are burnt and purged away

Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder

That incestuous, that adulterate beast

Thy almost blunted purpose

OTHERS

POLONIUS

To thine own self be true

HORATIO

That fair and like form in which the majesty of buried Denmark did sometimes march

In an angry parle he smote the sledded polack on the ice

I saw him once; he was a goodly king

MARCELLUS

Martial stalk

Sorry for any typos, it's 2 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    I have two or three pages of them. They're all pretty easy though, I'll give you the most popular ones:

Hamlet:
    Smiling, damned villain - On Claudius.
    He hath killed my king, and whored my mother - Same.
    Within a month, ere yet the salt of most unrighteous tears had left the flushing in her galled eyes, she married - On Gertrude.
    Get thee to a nunnery. Why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners? - To Ophelia.
    Thou wretched, rash, intruding fool, farewell I took thee for thy better - On Polonius' death.
    Or that the everlasting had not fixed his canon'gainst self-slaughter - On Suicide.
    Consience does make cowards of us all
    - On himself.
    I essentially am not in madness, but mad in craft - to Gertrude.

Claudius:
    His liberty is full of threats to us all - On Hamlet.
    O my offence is rank, it smells to heaven - On his "dear brother's" murder.
    He's loved by the distracted multitude - On Hamlet.
    Gertrude, do not drink! ... It is too late - Claudius.

Ghost:
    The serpent that did sting thy father's life, now wears his crown - On Claudius.
    Adulterate beast and Incestuous - On Claudius + his relationship with Gertrude.

Polonius:
    Give every man thine ear, but thy voice - advising Laertes (lol)
    Though this be madness, yet there be method in it - On Hamlet.

Gertrude:
    More matter with less art - On Polonius

P.s. this is a very small amount of the quotes you should be learning off. I have a load more but it would take ages to write out, so I'm kind of banking on every one else providing you with more useful ones : ) Also, I apologise if any of them are wrong, and I'm pretty sure some of them might have punctuation mistakes so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No they're all right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I'm learning Hamlet, Claudius and Ghost quotes only. That will cover character questions on the 3, but also Revenge, Appearance Vs Reality and 1-2 other possible questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Whenever I'm answering a Hamlet question, it always seems to revolve back to Hamlet's love for Ophelia :p

so.... "I loved Ophelia, forty-thousand brothers could not with all their quantity of love, make up my sum"

:)

Advertisement