Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 5 games hyped games so far that ended up disappointing

Options
  • 05-06-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Right so i have been going through my game libaray and there was alot games i had hyped for that ended up being disappointing.

5.Final fantasy 13 : never being a ff fan but 13 had me excited before i even had a ps3 with its incredible graphics and the trailers packed enough action to make me want to try to get into the series, but i was left disappointed , linear gameplay , annoying characters with some afro man with a bird in his hair , gameplay was solid but not enough to get by the 20 hour tutroial:pac:.

4. Gran turismo 5: 5 years the wait , promised to be the greatest racer mankind would ever experience but i was let down , ps2 ported cars that were terrible , a track editior thats nowhere in depth as littlebigplanet or modnation racers for that matter, not enough tracks or challeneges and again same with ff13 gameplay is solid but not enough to making me to keep wanna play, although i had a fun time with it , its nowhere as good as its other titles

3.Fable 2: i loved the first fable ,was the only reason i ever wanted a xbox and when my sister got one for christmas , i picked up the game straight away the next day and played through it multiple times, so when i had my 360 for the short length of time before i sold it again first game i got was fable 2, excited i was before i put in the game i couldnt believe how unsatisfied i was, story i didnt care for, a town i never liked, a dog to follow me around annoyed me. In the end i let down.

2.Mgs4: now this is a tricky one cause i love this game , but and this is a BIG but , theres soo much bull**** in this game that should of being dealt with but wasant so allow me to explain. Firstly as it has being pointed out is the cutscenes, conversations between naomi, snake , octagon, cutscenes added by more cutscenes and it was all pointless that could of being wrapped up in 10 mins tops.the love relationship between naomi and octagon made no sense when they havent seen each other in years and never had a strong relationship to begin with, secondly when you enter shadow mosses why is it then your only fighting dozens on hand robot machines mixed with more cutscenes and 1 epic boss battle. I could go on but i made my point , sure mgs has some memory moments but coming from playing mgs1,2,3 mgs4 although as much as i loved i was expecting more for snake final mission.

1.Killzone 3: killzone 3, boy what a cash in game , killzone 2 set an epic game i admittley fell in love with , the story to me was not so much the sp gameplay its scale and feel of battle you felt truly emerged in the heart of it all, bullets flying everywhere i never wanted to put down the controller, i put over 140 hours into the online and it was one of my fav fps this gen , so when killzone 3 came along i got all excited ,and what a letdown i had once again, a 4 hours ****ty singleplayer game , only thing cool about it was the mechs and that was 1 level, storyline that didnt grab me and didnt feel the sense of epic battle than killzone 2 and probably one of the most terrible ways to finish a game with a terrible ending, online side where they coukd of added so much more with game modes they didnt , a new cutscene team based mode but still same modes only difference it had cutscenes ,never felt so angry about a game before that should off added a better game than it did.

Well thats my top 5 games that so far where a letdown , what are yours ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

COD:Modern Warfare 2: I knew it wouldn't beat MW but I found it a huge dissapointment and the start of decline in quality of the series.
    GTA IV: Like a lot of people I couldn't wait for this to arrive when it did I realised Gta wasn't about having fun anymore and rockstar were up their own arses.
    Crysis 2: A bit of a tech demo and a beautiful game but very shallow.I expected so much more for a game in development for such a long time.
    Fable III: Where do I start.The glitches, corrupted saves,every quest had you fetching stuff & as rubbish as a final 3rd you could ever dream of having.
    Resident Evil 5: All I wanted was a game that could even do for this gen what Resi 4 did for last Gen.THIS thing wasn't it,rubbish AI partner,rehashed bosses & a short campaign.The only thing positive is that Resi 4 HD will soon get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,181 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can only think of 4 that really left me down...

4. Crysis 2
    It was nice to look at and all but I just don't get all the praise it got.
    It's a 7/10 game for me.

3. GTA 4
    Where did all the fun go? :(

2. Assassins Creed
    This was hyped a fair bit and when it eventually came out, it was repetitive as fúck, such a chore to get through.
    They've turned it around since then though...

1. Haze
    Yeah, remember that shít?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

As a huuuuuge DMC fan, I hyped up the ass for Devil May Cry 4 and was dissapointed at a game that obviously got a tight deadline handed to the developers as you can tell from the massive quality drop from early cutscenes/stages to later ones and then overall gimpness of it. Still enjoy it a bit though but I did hype it to all hell so no suprise that I was dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Artur Foden

Civilisation 5, Bad Company 2, Dawn of War 2 (probably wasn't that hyped outside the dawn of war/warhammer 40k community?), Bioshock, MW2.

purely my opinion only and i still play a few of these games but they just didn't earn their reputation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Fallout: New Vegas - FO3 is one of my all time favourites, so to see all the intelligence in plot and characterisation replaced with juvenile idiocy and the most black and white good vs. evil divide between factions, on top of more bugs than I've ever seen was a huge let down. I gave up on it and haven't gone back since.

Resident Evil 3: Loved the first two, but this just wasn't right, too fast-paced for it's own good and the nemesis was just an irritating gimmick.

Red Dead Redemption: I loved it until I got to Mexico, and then it just became too huge an area with absolutely nothing to do. The missions revealed themselves to be repeteitive and dull, and without the quality setting offered at the beginning there was little to fall back on. On top of that going to a mission start point miles from anything else only to see 'come back at 10' was enough to put me off completely.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit: A game where you chase other cars by the makers of Burnout should have been oerfect. Burnout 3's road rage levels were some of the most fun I've ever had with a game, so I thought I'd love this. It felt sluggish, the roads were long and mostly straight and it was just pretty boring, no thrill or real sensation of speed to be found. The boost lasted all of three seconds and the weapons were pointless.

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare: This was the game that showed me gaming passed me by a few years ago. One of the most boring single player modes I've ever encountered, with so many irritating aspects - respawning enemeies until I walk forward to a specific point, idiotic characters spewing macho idiocy and jingoistic rubbish, the bloody screen. Awful. Then I tried playing online and found that people who played it more than me automatically beat me through not skill, but 'perks'. What's the point in that? I'm running around with a gun I can't shoot straight and someone else has a motion sensor, a laser sight and a helicopter. Oh I just have to play for a month without eating to get to that point? Back to Unreal Tournament and Quake III I go so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

I've only really got one that sticks out, Black Ops.. Maybe its just me but all the ads for it were epic, and it was built up so much but i felt let down, imo multiplayer sucked balls :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

L.A Noire - boring cases - stupid interrogation/investigation structure
    Red Dead Redemption - patronisingly boring missions.
    Crisis 2 - amazing looking average shooter.
    The Masters - Tiger Woods 12 Extortionate DLC integrated into the game. Plastic, over-simplified graphics. Caddy idea should be abandoned.
    Killzone 3 Multiplayer's not as good as KZ2 I'm afraid. Single player was grand, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid 4: I'm a massive MGS fan so was really looking forward to this game. MGS2 had some problems but for MGS3 everything was fixed and it turned out to be one of the best games ever made. Was hoping MGS4 would build on this. What we got was a game that took all the flaws of MGS2 and multiplied them. The story was even more badly written. The cutscenes were far too long. This wouldn't be a problem if they were about something interesting but they were boring and the dialogue was insultingly bad. This wouldn't have made MGS4 a bad game in itself but it brought along it's own problems. What little gameplay there was wasn't interesting. There was no focus on creatively using gadgets. After the second act the gameplay took an even bigger nose dive. The boss fights were dreadful which is a crime considering how the metal gear series has some of the best and most creative boss fights in videogames. The constant pandering to nostalgia was badly handled and reached a climax with the final boss fight which is one of the worst moments in the game.

Assassins Creed: Promised to be Hitman with a more interesting setting. Ended up being one of the most repetitive experiences in a long time with a sandbox enviroment with very little to do in it. At Ubisoft Montreal built upon these foundations to deliver a sequel that was like a completely different game.

GTA4: Tried to make GTA more serious and failed badly. It really needed great writing but it fell far short. The world was then stripped of anything that made it fun. I think the worst offender was the world itself. When you engage in a mission the world sets itself into a pre scripted state meaning that the random factor of a sandbox environment is completely negated. It just made all the mission uninteresting. Saints Row 2 didn't help matters, despite being technically well inferior it was so much more fun than GTA4 which while not a bad game was a hollow shell of its former self.

New Super Mario Bros.: The DS game not the Wii game which is fantastic. There was just something off about NSMB. It wasn't a bad game, just merely mediocre which a mario game really shouldn't be. It was just bland and nothing special about it. At least the series is back on track with the amazing Wii NSMB and Galaxy.

Only got 4 at the moment :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You could always throw this in

cart.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

not going to give reason because im too hungover :pac:

L.A noire
    fable 3
    the first pro evo on the 360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Spore

I got super excited about this game. It looked so promising and I really thought that the ability to decide the course of the evolutionary process at each step (assuming that isn't an oxymoron) would add so much variety to the game. I got lost thinking was thinking about the endless possibilities in terms of character design and what this might mean in battle or whatever.

Instead, it was a shallow, repetitive series of mini-games that offered nothing new beyond the first 10 minute experience of each. I got burned by EA on that game (€40 down the toilet) and I've been far more cautious ever since. In fact, I think with the exception of one game, I don't think I've paid more than €15 for a game since.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

1. LA Noire
    2. LA Noire
    3. LA Noire
    4. LA Noire
    5. LA Noire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Grayditch wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption - patronisingly boring missions.
    Totally.

Eternal Sonata - good plot, nice graphics but a complete grindfest bereft of strategy when it came to gameplay. Was highly recommended to me as a "classic RPG"

HALO 2 - nowhere near as good as the original

Another vote for MGS4 - too easy! no need for stealth when you can riddle everyone that coems your way. Final boss was a pathetic joke as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Splinter Cell: Double Agent. Changed everything the game was, and in a couple places forces you to kill people regularly to get through levels,whereas in previous games you only had to do that at key points. Took away the feeling of choice, took away a large chunk of the enjoyment of playing through the game.

Left 4 Dead 2: The critics turned out to be right, and aside from a few new weapons and zombies, which forced minor changes in your tactics, it was basically an excuse to cash in twice.

Shattered Horizon: You should have known a game made by a benchmarking company would remain a benchmark, and wouldn't receive much of any aftermarket support to make it the most ambitious multiplayer shooter of a generation. Up to 1 or 2 dozen players online at any one time and far too many bots.

WoW Cataclysm: Promised so much and delivered so much Meh. A world revamp where in most places they didn't even bother to update the foliage from 2004. Kinda makes it hard to like the place when in one zone you have great looking scenery but then you fly over a hill and the forest is made of lego duplex.

Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: Set such a high expectation but when you get down to the inconsistent voiceovers, the same 12 dungeons being recycled endlessly, and the fact that everything scales up to you so you never feel like you're leveling up so whats the point. It tried to be better than sex but it forgot that you need to change positions once in a while to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid 4: I'm a massive MGS fan so was really looking forward to this game. MGS2 had some problems but for MGS3 everything was fixed and it turned out to be one of the best games ever made. Was hoping MGS4 would build on this. What we got was a game that took all the flaws of MGS2 and multiplied them. The story was even more badly written. The cutscenes were far too long. This wouldn't be a problem if they were about something interesting but they were boring and the dialogue was insultingly bad. This wouldn't have made MGS4 a bad game in itself but it brought along it's own problems. What little gameplay there was wasn't interesting. There was no focus on creatively using gadgets. After the second act the gameplay took an even bigger nose dive. The boss fights were dreadful which is a crime considering how the metal gear series has some of the best and most creative boss fights in videogames. The constant pandering to nostalgia was badly handled and reached a climax with the final boss fight which is one of the worst moments in the game.

Assassins Creed: Promised to be Hitman with a more interesting setting. Ended up being one of the most repetitive experiences in a long time with a sandbox enviroment with very little to do in it. At Ubisoft Montreal built upon these foundations to deliver a sequel that was like a completely different game.

GTA4: Tried to make GTA more serious and failed badly. It really needed great writing but it fell far short. The world was then stripped of anything that made it fun. I think the worst offender was the world itself. When you engage in a mission the world sets itself into a pre scripted state meaning that the random factor of a sandbox environment is completely negated. It just made all the mission uninteresting. Saints Row 2 didn't help matters, despite being technically well inferior it was so much more fun than GTA4 which while not a bad game was a hollow shell of its former self.

New Super Mario Bros.: The DS game not the Wii game which is fantastic. There was just something off about NSMB. It wasn't a bad game, just merely mediocre which a mario game really shouldn't be. It was just bland and nothing special about it. At least the series is back on track with the amazing Wii NSMB and Galaxy.

Only got 4 at the moment :/

Agree with all those, I like MGS4 when it allows you to y'know, play parts of it, but its so pretentious and the dialogue is absolutely laughable in places, and those fcuking fried egg cutscenes, the hell? its the game equivalent of a Tarantino movie, over indulgent, pretentious, self important gack with flashes of utter genius like the return to Shadow Moses.

GTA4, its the Buzz Killington of the franchise. wheres all the fun? GTA and serious simply do not work together. I dont want to delicately balance my friends feelings and take time of out my schedule of causing mayhem in Liberty City to take them bowling, I want to spawn a tank (GTA is the only game where cheating makes it even better) in the middle of a street then laugh maniacally as I run up a 5 star wanted level and casually drive through the streets ploughing into cop cars and seeing how long I survive. Ballad of Gay Tony put the fun back into it but the next one needs to go back to the Vice City, San Andreas roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Civilization 5. Civ 4 was one of the greatest of all time strategy games, and they made a complete mess of Civ 5.

Bugged, dumbed down to hell, new features that were pointless, boring and didn't work as intended. Multiplayer was impossible to play, literally impossible, it's been patched and still does not work correctly. And apparently it "was not a priority for the developers in future patches".

What games released in the last few years have unplayable multiplayer and don't get fixed in post-release patches?
    To top it off they had release day DLC and continue to add DLC that should have been included in the original game.

If you have played either Civ4 or Civ5 this: http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html explains the amount of fail better than I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Red Dead Redemption I prefer cars over horsies
    Halo: Reach 'Remember Reach' No forget it
    Splinter Cell: Conviction Wow, i just shot five guys in the head at once, thank you "Y" button!
    Dead Rising 2 Give Katey Zombrex every 5 mins, save the idiots on the other side of the shopping mall with many doors and loading screens, do this, do that, give me a break!
    Borderlands Fighting weird alien dogs and alien pterodactyl things while my friends complete my missions for me with ease

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

MW2: An awful single player and a multi player that encourages all the bad things about MP. WTF happened to this series? COD4 had a half decent story but MW2 turned into a bad version of Team America where the surviving cast of COD4 go around the world fighting terrorists in a submarine.

Crysis 2: Ugly a **** MW2 clone. Not a scratch on the previous Crysis and FarCry 1.
    Voice acting was horrific. Unlike the aforementioned games where you felt like you were actually on a living breathing island the NYC of Crysis was nothing but a series of disjointed corridors with no connection to the location. Not a scratch on the excellent Freedom Fighters.

Assassin's Creed: Such great potential, shame we had to wait for the sequel for them to make a complete game out of it.

The Witcher: Run here, run there, click to fight, sit and watch. Dodgy porno cards.

Bioshock: Pretty game, interesting story but the gameplay was horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

1. Brink
    2. Brink
    3. Fallout 3
    4. Borderlands
    5. Brink

Did I mention Brink?

On a more serious note...

Bioshock 2
    Rubbish story, troubled development, poor post-launch support from the developers, interesting but buggy multiplayer. The whole thing reeks of cash-in.

Gears Of War 2
    Good story, but the multiplayer was just a disaster. I still can never get into a game with anyone other than bots. Matchmaking was just a joke.

Scott Pilgrim
    Only a downloadable title, but I was still thoroughly disappointed by this. Lack of co-op and a huge difficulty level has meant I've barely touched this since I bought it on launch day

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Whichever the last 5 things were that Square Enix have released.
    ESPECIALLY FFXIV.

heard of it?
    heard of anyone who's playing it? no? PS3 release? nada?

the last two Square Enix games I both enjoyed and was pleasantly surprised by were FFXII: Revenant Wings and Crystal defenders. I **** you not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

FF13: Was looking forward to this but absolutely hated it.

Mafia 2: This was another dissapointment. Not a bad game but thought it waould be a lot better than it was.

Dragons Age 2: A lot duller than Origins and the story felt all over the place.

Empire Total War: I was never able to get into this like i did with Rome and Medieval 2.

GTA4: The game and liberty city looked stunning but severly lacked the fun factor of previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

There's been no mention yet of star wars force unleashed 2, but this was an truly terrible game, generally with sequels you expect improvements over the original but this was worse, much much worse . . .

Also agree with the previous posts nominating GTAIV, was really annoyed when I bought this game for the PC, the amount of DRM was laughable, you had to download windows live AND rockstar social club in order to play it, the car handling was dreadful, and when 90% of the missions involve driving of one form or another this made the game a total suckfest.

Final Fantasy XIII, I loved FFXII but this was terrible, others have mentioned the endless cutscenes in MGS4, but this was worse, risible storyline, incredibly annoying characters, linear gameplay, I know I only paid €10 for it in Harvey Normans, but I still felt short changed.

Every Ace Combat game since AC4, there's a common theme emerging here, a studio releases an masterpiece of gameplay (GTA Vice City by Rockstar, FFXII by Square Enix etc.) and you expect them to raise the bar yet again in the sequel, but Project Aces seem to have been stuck in reverse gear every since AC4.

Every Tomb Raider after the first two, even though I still buying these games, my completion rate has declined to the point where I doubt that I even playing past the opening level in the last one, will be looking forward to see what Crystal Dynamics do with the 're-boot' scheduled for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Heavy Rain (PS3)
    People keep banging on about the story and how it is like a detective story (or something like that), but I couldn't get into, the controls were terrible and I just didn't feel like I was actually in charge or the character or was involved in the game in any meaningful way. I gave up after the first act, I just couldn't go any further with it. Thankfully I picked it up for less than a tenner because if I had played full price I would have been mightily pissed.

Crysis 2 (PC)

An average shooter at best. It was like they took everything I liked about the first game and threw it away. I also thought that Cervat Yerli had said prior to launch that they had listened to fans complaining about the Farcry and Crysis becoming different games once the aliens/mutants showed up, but lo and behold, they do the same thing in Crysis 2.

Aliens vs Predator (2010, PC)
    What a let down this was. AVP2 was an amazing game and I was hoping for more of the same with better graphics etc, but it was just a very poor game. I especially didn't like the "look at a vent and press <key> to enter" what is wrong with walking up to a vent and going in. As an aside, I hate games which have the same thing for ladders. I want to be able to walk into a ladder and start climbing straight away and not have to press another button to do it

Dead Rising 2 (PS3)
    Was disgusted that DR1 was only on xbox, so was delighted that DR2 was multi-platform. What a let down that was. It just wasn't fun, from trying to get Zombrex, to rescuing survivors, to crafting weapons, it just didn't work (for me at least, I assume some people enjoyed it). I got as far as the second act and just gave up on it, couldn't stomach it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

1. Operation Flashpoint 2: FP 1 was one of the best military sims ever made and pretty ground breaking game in terms of scale and sandbox ability. I know the true sequel is ARMA, but flashpoint 2 was one of the biggest piece of **** games ive ever played. In a typical game sequel, you expect better gfx, more options, more customization, etc etc. FP2 is FP1 divided by 10, they actually cut down on abilities and features from the previous game :confused:. Granted, the gfx had improved but they were still below par compared to other games that released alongside it.

2. Spore: 9/10 from almost every review, it must be good!
    On the positive side I have learned never to trust any game reviewer ever again. Very childish game, I can only imagine my 5 year old niece enjoying this.

3. GTA IV : I still remember playing GTA3 for hours on end, it was the first major sandbox/free roam game for me and I loved it to bits. GTA IV went very wrong somewhere, it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.

4. Tomb raider 4: The series was slowly degenerating into some kind of mainstream appeasement but TR4 made me abandon the series. The developers had the right idea of concentrating more on the "Tomb" side of the game as opposed to the "Michael bay" road it seemed to be heading down. Unfortunately it just didn't deliver

5. Final fantasy X-II: What the **** was that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

COD:MW2
    Medal Of Honor (2010)
    Medal Of Honor: Airborne
    Brink
    LOTRO
    SPORE
    Unreal 3
    Far Cry 2
    Quake Wars : Enemy Wars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

GTA 4

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm going to be a dick and just say that if you thought GTA4 was serious then basically it all went over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

28 posts in and Black & White hasn't been mentioned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy XII: When I buy a final fantasy game I expect a JRPG. What I got was a single player MMO. MMO's have pretty poor combat systems but make up for them with the social aspects. FFXII just had poor combat system. Trying to get the FF system to work in real time was admirable but they failed. All the game involved was setting up your gambits right and then watching the CPU fight every battle for you stopping every few battles when you ran out of MP to run around in circles for 10 minutes until your MP refilled. You could turn off the gambits but this only slowed the game down further. It did work for boss battles but in between you had vast swathes of land to cover that were just as boring to get through as the last. The story was interesting enough until the very end where you could tell the developers were saying that the game was going on far too long so they had to end it by getting the main bad guy to pull a massive 10 mile high battleship out of his ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bioshock 1&2- How the hell can people claim these are the second coming of FPS games is beyond me :eek:

Dragons Age 2 - A bad game from Bioware! WTF has EA done to that studio.

GTA 4 - Nice graphics, shame about the gameplay.

Age of Conan - Amazing graphics and music pity every thing after the tutorial is a bug ridden mess.

SWG the NGE - **** you Sony, **** you to hell and a pox on the friends, relations, kids and anyone who knows the SWG dev team :mad:

Advertisement