Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your top 5 games hyped games so far that ended up disappointing

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Venom wrote: »
    Bioshock 1&2- How the hell can people claim these are the seconf coming of FPS games is beyond me :eek:

While I loved Bioshock it really was a pale imitation of the much better System Shock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

28 posts in and Black & White hasn't been mentioned?

Black and White was and is amazing game. It's a sin to spit on such amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm going to be a dick and just say that if you thought GTA4 was serious then basically it all went over your head.

Its not so much it was serious, it was just no fun. The missions were dull as hell, compare to one of the early missions in BOGT when you have to make a getaway in golf cart with a guy you were previous torturing strapped to the front of it screaming as you fly through traffic, I was laughing my ass off at that mission.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm going to be a dick and just say that if you thought GTA4 was serious then basically it all went over your head.

They were definitely going for a more serious tone which didn't work. They were trying to build emotional connections with the characters through the side events and totally failing due to the bad writing and how annoying these events were so that when something did happen in the storyline there was no emotional attachment. The game also lacked the out there crazy missions that were so much fun in the previous games instead replacing them with variations of the same 'drive here, shoot stuff' formula. Ballad of Gay Tony was a step back in the right direction even if the attempts at humour in the cutscenes were cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ballad of Gay Tony would have been better with a different main character. I hated that guy Luis.

• Advertisement

Ballad of Gay Tony would have been better with a different main character. I hated that guy Luis.

I found every character in the game hateful.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They were definitely going for a more serious tone which didn't work. They were trying to build emotional connections with the characters through the side events and totally failing due to the bad writing and how annoying these events were so that when something did happen in the storyline there was no emotional attachment. The game also lacked the out there crazy missions that were so much fun in the previous games instead replacing them with variations of the same 'drive here, shoot stuff' formula. Ballad of Gay Tony was a step back in the right direction even if the attempts at humour in the cutscenes were cringeworthy.

I hated when you'd get random calls to go bowling or drinking when you were trying to do stuff like find secret areas or be miles out on a part of the city where you had no car then lose points or whatever because you didnt make it on time, stupid system. Paled in comparison to spawning a bicycle on top of a mountain or tall building in San Andreas, peddling off the side, diving off in mid air, parachuting down and using an RPG to get a wanted level before you even hit the ground :D I used to dive out of planes and see where I could aim the flaming wreckage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

5)Lair. Was such a cool looking game,but fell flat on its arse with poor/repetitive gameplay.
    4)Enter the Matrix. So disappointed that Neo wasnt a playable character. Oh the controls and gameplay was dire too.
    3)Final Fantasy XIII. Beautiful graphics with a poor story/ No airship/No towns. Battle system was brutal, bring back the old system from 7 or 8
    2)Stormrise. I feel bad even mentioning this, has got to be the biggest pile of crap ever made.
    1) Ill think of another later :D

Black Ops is a definite for me, for everything they fixed that was wrong with MW2 they made another one that was just as bad, its a snorefest of a game to play online too, and the sound design is the worst of any AAA title ever, guns sound like peas being flicked at tin cans, compared to the aurgasm (I made that up :pac:) of MW2's utterly superb sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

There's a hell of a lot of games that could go on my list. But to name five in no particular order:

1) Bioshock - It's not a bad game, but it came across as a reskinned System Shock 2. It does look great, but the gameplay was fairly stale. It got to the point where I knew before going into a room that something was about to jump out at me. It really takes away from the tension and I ended up just playing it so that I could finish it and move on.

2) Deus Ex: Invisible War - Again, it's not really that bad a game on it's own. But it's a sequel to one of the greatest games ever. Why they made some of the design choices, I will never know.

3) Splinter Cell: Conviction/Rainbow Six: Vegas/Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - I had originally just Splinter Cell: Conviction here, but all three of these belong here. All three Ubisoft games based (ever so loosely) on Tom Clancy books. And each one is from a series of well loved games. But here they took what people loved about the originals, removed it, and made them fairly generic shooters. Just like everything in my list, they're not bad games. But I wanted sequels to games I loved, not new games using old IP's.

4) LA Noire - Far more boring than I could have imagined. I enjoyed playing it, but it was such a wasted opportunity. Hopefully, when they've finished shovelling over-priced DLC down our throats, they'll make a sequel with a proper storyline to keep the players hooked.

5) All three Fable games - I admit it, I always believe Peter Molyneux. I just can't help it. And every Fable game falls short of the lofty expectations he sets. And even though we all know the Fable games will never reach those highs, I keep expecting them to. I've nobody to blame but myself, really.

As I've said throughout the list, those games were all good in their own right. They just could have been so much better, so easily. It's a shame it's most likely that money is pretty much the reason why all of them fell short of greatness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Tenchu 3: What a phenomenal let down that turned out to be.

The entire Gears of War series. I don't understand the fanboys of these.

Black Ops: Though I can't say I was shocked as Treyarch has always been Infinity Ward's retarded brother.

Armored Core: For Answer :pac: I'm not sure how many people would be au fait with the Armored Core series... So this was more a case of me hyping it myself.

And I'm going to seriously isolate myself here and say the dumbing down of the RPG-element to ME2 really disappointed me. I just felt like the leveling up system meant **** all since you were totally pro with your weapons right from the get go and made any other talents a bit supplementary. Still fúcking LOVE the series though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

1. Fable 3 - basically to easy and to much hand holding, loved 1 and 2.
    2. Halo reach - same old game play and story was lame.
    3. Dead Space 1 - just couldn't get into it.
    4. Damnation - Totally crap don't get it even if it's only 1 euro.
    5. Black Ops - more of a Battlefield fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

2 stand out
    RDR. After playing for 3-4 hours, i was still doing chores around the ranch. and i got sick of them. i played all the way to get to mexico, which was where everyone said it really came into its own, and was so bored i played aobut 3 hours and havent played again since.
    Mafia 2. I heard loads about this, mainly form guys at work. but they were really giving it all, making it out to be the best game since the last great game they played. so i picked it up decently cheap on a steam sale. that game was driving, followed by more driving, some fist fighting and then some more driving. I was not impressed.

3 others, just to make the list of 5:
    bioshock - it was ok.
    Fifa 11 - just felt slower, couldnt figure out why they changed the penalty system.
    Halo Reach. didnt see what all the fuss was about, and how it was any better than other halo games

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Mafia 2/LA Noire/Red Dead Redemption - All of these go in the same slot because they are essentially the same game with different levels of horrible. Pointless gameplay focussed on to and froing through large expanses of nothing having pointless conversations with clichéd characters who are all screwing you over and you take it like a boss.

Crysis 2 - Turning what boiled down to Predator - The Game into Predator 2 - The Game.

Little Big Planet - Horrid floaty controls coupled with Little Big <something> ripoff levels made by people with zero imagination

Alan Wake - He's a writer, you know? Again, horrid main character, crappy supporting characters, messy and pointless story and almost totally lacking in any actual gameplay. Glad I rented this one.

Fable 2 - A game so all over the place that they needed to add a glowing trail to hold the game together. Broken AI, no story, easy combat and just completely uninspired. Ugh...

Advertisement