Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liking stuff before it became popular... why do we care?

Options
  • 05-06-2011 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Many people resent their niche hobbies or niche interests becoming mainstream interests. I include myself in this, at times, even though I fully accept how irrational it is. So I was wondering what your thoughts are on your own hobbies.

For example in the mid 1990s my family used to take our holidays at Rossnowlagh in Co. Donegal. My brother and I got into surfing, and at that time, that area of Donegal was one of the only areas in the country at the time where surfboards were a reasonably common feature of beach life. So as kids we were sent off surfing to get out of our parents' hair (I later realised what they were probably doing allthewhile....)
    I wouldn't consider myself to be a particularly talented surfer or anything, but it does grate on me a little every time I hear some guy in the next cubicle to me at work harking on about how he went surfing in Lahinch last year and now considers himself "an ace surfer", or giving ridiculously incorrect or strange tips to his friends, who also want to go to Lahinch or Bundoran where they too will become *surfers!*.

Of course it's great that people are taking up this great, healthy, fun activity, or indeed any outdoor activity. But for some reason situations like the one I have described above do grate on me. I find it hard to explain it to myself, since logically one should be glad that one's hobby is enjoying a popularity.

I'm sure we all have examples like these - bands we liked before everyone else jumped onto the trend, movies or books we liked before they developed cult followings, building our own fixies before that became fashionable, whatever.

So do you have your own activity or hobby that you would rather enjoy away from the mainstream? Do you resent when your interest becomes a mainstream interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

:rolleyes: whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Your parents were shagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Surfin is for ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

later10 wrote: »

my family used to take our holidays at Rossnowlagh in Co. Donegal. My brother and I got into surfing,

Did you ever get into muff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Indie music is purely built on this. As long as the bands theyve been ****ing about for ages get popular, they are suddenly pants. Indie music fans deserve a visit from the legendary Facekicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

You need a hobby..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Its a bit like what people were doing for the last few years, finding people who warned us about the property crash before it happened. As if you can go back like in the terminator and stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DrHLecter

emmmmm.....maybe the subconscious reasoning that pleasurable things are limited, so more for them equals less for me.
    or fear that your surfing territory will soon have a starbucks and argos on it.
    or maybe some ego thing related to how youre different to the common randomers and their fat children.

know the feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

squod wrote: »
    Did you ever get into muff?

Hoping to go diving there this summer. No lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

======> silly crazes thread..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Why do you care? If you're conscious about what's mainstream and whats not someones probably too up tight about it or trying too hard not be "mainstream".

I hate people moaning about bands becoming popular who cares, the only thing that actually damages your like for that band is when they don't play intimate venues anymore and the new fans are well you try standing beside them for 3 hours and youll know what I mean... so doesnt change the band so I would whinge that theyre not cool enough anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I was a massive fan of Westside or 'Westlife' as they are now known as. Especially through their heavy metal era... But then they sold out and turned ghey..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Lets hope that starting angry threads doesnt become popular!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DrHLecter

well just in theory munay can change a band to cater to the masses.....so that means your pleasure in their original music is now taken away by hipster band wagoners

like the worthless peons....used to do comic themes like speedracer, then moved to mainstream (facts of life).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

hardCopy wrote: »

:rolleyes: whatever

Join date. Cool as F*ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

The only example I can think of this which annoys me is facedown.

You know that facebook craze in Ireland and England last year....... Well it is huge in America and Australia ( and i dont know where else) now..... But they call it planking!!! I don't know why but when ever I see stuff about it I am like get with it people ..... It's old and it's not called planking its called facedown!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Larianne wrote: »
    Hoping to go diving there this summer. No lie.

My kind of girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Advertisement