Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Leaving Cert (P1)

• 05-06-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey!

I know, I know. This is so ridiculously late to be asking a question like this but I was wondering was anyone else out there planning on writing a historical short story (titles permitting of course!) for leaving cert?

I was just thinking recently that it might not be considered appropriate for the whole short story genre, and that the examiners might prefer something more..eh..made up...

Not anything grand or rambling but maybe just a snippet of a moment from something that happened in the recent past-just to add a little extra depth to the setting.

It would be mostly fictional with lots of pretty descriptions naturally...:D

xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

jcbstapler wrote: »
    Hey!

I know, I know. This is so ridiculously late to be asking a question like this but I was wondering was anyone else out there planning on writing a historical short story (titles permitting of course!) for leaving cert?

I was just thinking recently that it might not be considered appropriate for the whole short story genre, and that the examiners might prefer something more..eh..made up...

Not anything grand or rambling but maybe just a snippet of a moment from something that happened in the recent past-just to add a little extra depth to the setting.

It would be mostly fictional with lots of pretty descriptions naturally...:D

xxx

You just mean a short story set in an important historic event?? I think that's quite common really...it was the title of one of the essays in the mocks.

But in my junior cert (I know it's not the same) my short story was set in Roman times.

I don't think there's much problem as long as it's a story, not a history essay. I don't think the setting matters much. (well it's important but there aren't any restrictions unless specifically stated.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I always go for the language of information/persuasion essays, for example, the guide for young people one they had a while back. I'm just naturally good at those sorts of essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 doll_

Hey, I was just wondering, I'm a bit nervous about the short story I done on Wednesday. I had it learned off already so I really wanted to incorporate it but it was a court room scene and the title was "a short story in which a mystery is solved" - I mean, the case was solved in the end but will that be of enough relevance to the title? Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I'd really enjoy a comforting reply. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

doll_ wrote: »
    Hey, I was just wondering, I'm a bit nervous about the short story I done on Wednesday. I had it learned off already so I really wanted to incorporate it but it was a court room scene and the title was "a short story in which a mystery is solved" - I mean, the case was solved in the end but will that be of enough relevance to the title? Don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I'd really enjoy a comforting reply. D:

I'd have to hear your story to know but to be honest it sounds like it fitted a LOT better as some of the "pre-cooked" stories some of my friends spoke about!

I really don't know why people learn essays off for English though.. We've been speaking it 17/18 years!

I'm sure you'll be fine :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement