Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trouble

Options
  • 05-06-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am get hassle off an old landlord who is falsely accusing me of damaging items within his property and is looking for money. I have never signed any lease and he is not a registered landlord nor am I a registered tenant. Where do I stand here? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

This thread may be better in Accomodation and Property

Although you have not signed a lease, you have paid rent which confirms that an agreement is in place. You have a Periodic Lease (privided the landlord does not live in the proprty as well) which probably runs from month to month (if that is the way you pay the rent). A Periodic lease as all the conditions of a Part 4 lease.

Did the landlord provide an inventory (detailing the items in the property and their condition, and signed by you) at the start of the tenancy? If not, he cannot keep any of your deposit, as there is no proof that any damage was not done before you moved in.

Most landlords are required to register with the PRTB (an exception is where a property is shared by several tenants who each have their own tenancy lease, have a designated bedroom and share facilities; also live-in landlords).

Tenants do not have to register anywhere. If the landlord gives you hassle, advise him that you will make a claim with the PRTB who take a very dim view of unregistered landlords - I'm not sure what the fine is for not registering!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    I am get hassle off an old landlord who is falsely accusing me of damaging items within his property and is looking for money.
    From what you're saying you've moved out of the property and gotten your deposit (if any) back?

Tell him to get lost or you'll report him to the Revenue/PRTB...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

Thanks for this help guys! But no he never provided anything and I never signed a thing! The house is built on the property of his mothers house. He gets any gas/ electricity bills and has forwarded them. The water is provided through a garden hose running over the wall of his mothers house and into a valve at the side of our house. I let him keep the deposit to pay for my last months rent. He is looking for cash in hand for these damages

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

The water is provided through a garden hose running over the wall of his mothers house and into a valve at the side of our house.
    OK so now you can threaten to report him to your local authority's housing standards officer as well as the Revenue and PRTB.

Do not give this cowboy a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

So is there no chance he is registered?. Any rent was always paid to him through the bank but there was never any tax etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Do you still owe him for bills? Get the impression you might, so I would pay those. I would ignore anything else he comes out with though about damages though. He is very unlikely to be able to take this anywhere given his own situation so I wouldn't worry about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Even if he gets prosecuted and fined by every agency out there it still won't stop him if he wants to make a complaint to the Gardaí about criminal damage or theft so you shouldn't be too quick to shrug it all off as suggested. Some proper non-internet advice should be sought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I don't think he can be done for criminal damage as the house was rented. If damage in all rented properties was classed as criminal damage, the courts (or PRTB) would be inundated with criminal claims.

However, in this case, the landlord has no proof as to when the damage occurred - before, during or after the tenant rented the house as there was no detailed inventory at the start of the tenancy (a failing of many landlords).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Moved to Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you owe money for bills or damage, you need to pay it. However, if the damage is reasonable wear and tear, then you owe nothing.

You can write off some of your rent against income tax. Get the landlords PPS number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

T...water is provided through a garden hose running over the wall of his mothers house and into a valve at the side of our house. ...

Why on earth would you move into a place like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am get hassle off an old landlord who is falsely accusing me of damaging items within his property and is looking for money.
    How long ago did you move out? A few days, weeks, months? This is important, because if it was months, I'd tell him to f**k off, but if it were a few days ago, I'd ask him what damage does he claim you caused?
    BostonB wrote: »
    Why on earth would you move into a place like that?
    I've lived in worse whilst I was a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

the_syco wrote: »
    ...I've lived in worse whilst I was a student.

Its been done better by monty python. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Advertisement