Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish: how can i pass it? (O)

• 05-06-2011 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Im starting to get real nervous about the irish exam, I really need a D3 in it to get my courses but i barely know anything, i dont know about any of the poems for paper 2, should i just focus on paper 1 and hope to do good in the oral?

for example if on paper 1 I learn off 2 storys off by heart and put them down for section 1 will i stiill get marks if my story is really to do with what is asked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Iceboy wrote: »
    Im starting to get real nervous about the irish exam, I really need a D3 in it to get my courses but i barely know anything, i dont know about any of the poems for paper 2, should i just focus on paper 1 and hope to do good in the oral?

for example if on paper 1 I learn off 2 storys off by heart and put them down for section 1 will i stiill get marks if my story is really to do with what is asked?
    Right well, presuming you did really good in your oral and that you'll do class in the listning tape, then you can pass with Paper 1!
    Suggestion from me is find your favourite style of story for me it's concerts!
    I've managed to turn all things into concerts!
    That's what I do, and my teacher said it was fine as long as i can link it in!
    Or a car accident :)

Ehm i really suggest you do out some short notes on the poems and the stories, to be honest it's better safe than sorry, eh?
    that's just my suggestion, may not be suited to you though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Iceboy wrote: »

Ok for paper one (the essays etc.) it is about accuracy Irish.

These are the marks for the 60mark question:
    Task 3
    Subject 9
    Irish 48
    And the comprehensions it is about the information you give

This means that say if you learn of just one essay about 3/4 of a page long then you should get 48/60 as your Irish was correct.

Paper two is more about what you write (and bare in mind the whole of paper two is worthe 17%)
    Pros:
    A =information given 35
    Irish lose up to 5 of that 35.

B=information given 20
    Irish lose up to 3 of that 20

The poetry is the same as the pros.

This is just the breakdown but obviously your Irish has to be understandable just don't worry about it, only for the essay really.

Just remember it is about what you write not the way in which you write it.
    Hope this helps.

(and bare in mind the whole of paper two is worth 17%)

Paper 2 is only actually worth 17%?.. So for A students it's just the icing on the cake? For myself and the OP it isnt that neccessary? :eek: We don't actually need it to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Quick question do you need to put the answers or in your own words in the comprehension or will short answers do

For the most part as far as i'm aware you take parts from the extract :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

C__MC wrote: »
    Quick question do you need to put the answers or in your own words in the comprehension or will short answers do

You can just copy the sentence that the answer is in word for word and get full marks =] Just dont copy a few sentences per answer cause you'll lose some/all marks =]

marko93 wrote: »
    Paper 2 is only actually worth 17%?.. So for A students it's just the icing on the cake? For myself and the OP it isnt that neccessary? :eek: We don't actually need it to pass?

Ya sorry it's actually 18% sorry Miss read it! :( but ya pretty much

I ain't stressing over it anyway! Just focusing on paper 1 which is 37%

Still though, it's worth sweet feck all.. D:
    Damn, right I guess Stories and Letters are getting some serious effort over the next few days :3

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Ok for paper one (the essays etc.) it is about accuracy Irish.

These are the marks for the 60mark question:
    Task 3
    Subject 9
    Irish 48
    And the comprehensions it is about the information you give

This means that say if you learn of just one essay about 3/4 of a page long then you should get 48/60 as your Irish was correct.

So basically if you learn 1 story and just write that down you have the 48/60 (or close enough to it anyway) ?

Had an idea it was like that but not that :)

There's only 1 story I can do properly so I'm probably better off just doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I don't mean to offend, but how can you "know barely anything" after learning the language for 12 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lorelei112

Right, heres what our Irish teacher said.
    Poetry: Bimse buan ar buairt gach ló and Nil aon ní ( but this mightn't come up because of the whole incident with the poet)
    Stories: Clare sa speir and fiche bliain ag fás.
    The phrases you use in the letter are very imp, being more important than what you actually write about (as long as it makes sense)
    I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Gumbi wrote: »
    I don't mean to offend, but how can you "know barely anything" after learning the language for 12 years?

It's really easy...... Go to a primary school where you learn nothing about Irish grammar, verbs, vocab. Where you start learning off reams in 5th class (well they were reams to a person in 5th class) then go to any Irish secondary school where all you do is learn reams and the odd bit of grammar.

Quite simple to know no Irish these days even if it is after 14years.

Sorry if that seemed like a rant!

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    So basically if you learn 1 story and just write that down you have the 48/60 (or close enough to it anyway) ?

Had an idea it was like that but not that :)

There's only 1 story I can do properly so I'm probably better off just doing that.

Yep that's my plan...... We only did like 3 stories in school so and they make no sense to fit into tittles so it's just easier to learn one fully correct one!
    Lorelei112 wrote: »
    Right, heres what our Irish teacher said.
    Poetry: Bimse buan ar buairt gach ló and Nil aon ní ( but this mightn't come up because of the whole incident with the poet)
    Stories: Clare sa speir and fiche bliain ag fás.
    The phrases you use in the letter are very imp, being more important than what you actually write about (as long as it makes sense)
    I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Yep agree but i would say that nil aon ni has a good chance cause they left it on the new course which would suggest that they feel its ok to put it on.

It's really easy...... Go to a primary school where you learn nothing about Irish grammar, verbs, vocab. Where you start learning off reams in 5th class (well they were reams to a person in 5th class) then go to any Irish secondary school where all you do is learn reams and the odd bit of grammar.

Quite simple to know no Irish these days even if it is after 14years.

Sorry if that seemed like a rant!

Not everyone's Irish education is so poor, though much of, I admit, is. But still Over 12 years of it? And still nothing?

Not everyone's Irish education is so poor, though much of, I admit, is. But still Over 12 years of it? And still nothing?

Well I suppose most of can speak a but like but ..... I know that mine is not sufficient to be able to write essays or even be able to understand what I would be learning off.

It's not so much that we don't know it after 12 years it's that after 12 years you would think we would have been thought more than just jack or fiche bliain ag fas!

I can speak the basics like ..... But that is really just after craming for my oral!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Golfy07

So can i just learn off one essay and write that no matter what the question is? that doesn't sound right tho...

Golfy07 wrote: »
    So can i just learn off one essay and write that no matter what the question is? that doesn't sound right tho...

Ya except the max you can get is 48/60.

That's what all re notes I have say and what my teacher said.

How come i wasn't told about this before... i was so stressed about Irish... and is this the same for the letters etc? thank you.!

How come i wasn't told about this before... i was so stressed about Irish... and is this the same for the letters etc? thank you.!

Yep! But the marks for the letter are grand if you have your address the date opening ending and signing off. Just stick one or two things in the middle and tour sorted.

http://www.rte.ie/exams/irishnotes/irish.pdf

Look at pages 1, 3, 5, 7 that's where I got the full marking thing. I wasn't 100% till then. :D

Thank you so much.. My mocks wern marked that way tho...? That why im so worried...

• Advertisement

Thank you so much.. My mocks wern marked that way tho...? That why im so worried...

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC001GLP000EV.pdf

They have it on the offical marking scheme to.... Just checked to be sure.
    But I don't know why the Irish surrounding the numbers means! :confused:

Hmm its a wonder why our mocks were marked diff... Such a relief now i thought i had loads to do and i hadn even started yet...

Not everyone takes to the language ethier, I for one actually hate it which resulted in a lack of effort in it for the years learning it, causing me to know the bare minimum.
    This forum is to help people, not to scrutinize someones ability or lack of in Irish.

Anyway OP, do well in the 1st paper and you should be able to pass!
    Best of luck man!

Not everyone takes to the language ethier, I for one actually hate it which resulted in a lack of effort in it for the years learning it, causing me to know the bare minimum.
    This forum is to help people, not to scrutinize someones ability or lack of in Irish.

Anyway OP, do well in the 1st paper and you should be able to pass!
    Best of luck man!

If you look at my first post, you'll see that I quoted what he said. I did not scrutinize him. There's nothing wrong with that, though, anyway.

It's just hard to comprehend someone putting literally hundreds, probably thousands of hours into something only to gain nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Ya sorry it's actually 18% sorry Miss read it! :( but ya pretty much

I ain't stressing over it anyway! Just focusing on paper 1 which is 37%

Beautiful. I should get my B then, maybe push for an A. That really is invaluable news :)

If you look at my first post, you'll see that I quoted what he said. I did not scrutinize him. There's nothing wrong with that, though, anyway.

It's just hard to comprehend someone putting literally hundreds, probably thousands of hours into something only to gain nothing.

If you look at what I said, not everyone takes to the language as much as others.. While I do understand what you're saying, I dont think it was a needed comment, no offence or anything..

On topic:
    I can actually pass now!
    This is great :')

If you look at what I said, not everyone takes to the language as much as others.. While I do understand what you're saying, I dont think it was a needed comment, no offence or anything..

On topic:
    I can actually pass now!
    This is great :')

Well I think it was needed. Anyway, good luck. :)

Advertisement