Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy drinks, study, late nights etc.

• 05-06-2011 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Pretty self explanatory really! What do you think about gettin a bare 5 hour sleep, and loading on the energy drinks the next day? I don't think I'd drop below 5 hours sleep myself..I know some people would be much crazier than me.. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Trust me from experience. It catches up on you. I've done this for tests and when I've had a lot of work/projects due. You go really good for a day or two but eventually you're sitting there in a test and your eyes just start to go. Don't ruin your exams over getting no sleep. Is it really worth it for those extra 3 hours of study?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

biggaman wrote: »
    Pretty self explanatory really! What do you think about gettin a bare 5 hour sleep, and loading on the energy drinks the next day? I don't think I'd drop below 5 hours sleep myself..I know some people would be much crazier than me.. :D

Well I think it's what ever way you find works best........ I find it easier to study late than early so I prefer late nights. But I just take a berocca in the morning (they really do work). Just don't over do the sports drinks or coffee I have to stop drinking coffee cause I was getting an ulcer (think that's what ya call them) and I was only having like thre cups a day! :rolleyes:

But it really is what ever works for each individual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

I used to do the late night thing, and it worked ok, but now I've found i'm in a sleeping pattern where I fall asleep at 10, wake up around 5-6 am, and get loads done before anyone else in the house wakes up. Also there is nothing good on TV that early so that's one distraction down! I am a chronic coffee drinker though which people say is awful but I've never had a problem with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I wouldn't advise little sleep and loads of energy drinks, it made Will from The Inbetweeners shít himself during an exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Learn to forget the energy drinks. Just mix a tablespoon of instant coffee(ONLY WHEN REQUIRED!) with a little water and drink that. You don't need energy drinks. They just add to unneeded weight gain. Coffee is cheaper too. Sleep > Coffee. All the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 0230774

Steer clear of energy drinks. If you are not getting enough sleep they will only give you a sugar rush and whatever small bit of energy they give you, will not sustain you in the long run. Try to get a decent night's sleep, you brain will work far better after a good nights sleep than if it is saturated with sugar drinks.

Best of Luck!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

If that really does work for you then okay but for most people it would be a recipe for disaster. There is no way I could function and sit exams like that!!

Good nights sleep, healthy food, lots of water, fresh air... sounds like a healthier and more practical way to go about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

cheers for the replies guys :)

tbh i have never really functioned that way either, but sifting throught these forums, and seeing a good few people actually taking that approach got me thinking :)

Gonna just take a berocca in the morning after a good nights sleep to give me a bit more energy i think :D

Thanks for the advice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Do some intense exercise today...you'll be sore/tired tomorrow but after that your energy levels will skyrocket. You'll literally jump out of bed.

Exercise is excellent for energy. And it gets your blood pumping before exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Apples are the thing to have when looking for an energy burst lads and lassies. No joke.

Apples give a slow release of energy whereas energy drinks/coffee gives a fast release of energy but soon after you've got the hit it goes away again and you're back to square one.

Plus, apples are healthier and are one of your five-a-day :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I always lol at these idiots pumping themselves full of this artificial crap.

I try and get about 8 hours sleep a night. Yeah,I could stay up late and study but if I don't go asleep early I can't concentrate the next day,talk about counter productive.

Pulled an all nighter ahead of my geography mock last year. Drank a load of coffee before it. I found myself falling asleep in the exam,couldn't sit up straight,I had to do the test with my head lying on my arm. I was literally dozing off but still writing. I dreamt that this girl I knew was saying something to me. Two seconds later I looked down on the page and there it was,I'd written what I'd heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

3 days left and Ive barely enough done for my best subject :(

Seriously, theres not enough hours... It takes me ages to learn stuff off!

I stayed up until 2am before my french and history exams last year.
    Bombed in both and in bio and art the next day from tiredness and stress!
    Hopefully Ill do better this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dollybirdmary

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    3 days left and Ive barely enough done for my best subject :(

Seriously, theres not enough hours... It takes me ages to learn stuff off!

I stayed up until 2am before my french and history exams last year.
    Bombed in both and in bio and art the next day from tiredness and stress!
    Hopefully Ill do better this year

What about the rescue remedy anybody tried it ? i hear it's just brandy

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

It is, practically! My sister got me an exam survival kit (watch, stress ball, jelly beans, and the likes) and it had rescue remedy in it..

400:1, Brandy:Flower extracts.

So now i've a bottle of brandy coming into my exams in my pencil case! Could be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Now I know why I was a bit...... weird in last years oral :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

I have a cousin who comes home from an exam, eats, sleeps for four/five hours and then studies till she has to leave for the next exam... Madness, I know!

A full nights sleep for me; as well as berocca in the morning and a continuous supply of polos!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

studying.........................lol
    Surely ill of soaked up enough over the past 13 years to do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

pockets3d wrote: »
    studying.........................lol
    Surely ill of soaked up enough over the past 13 years to do me.

Are you one of those people who think doing no study is 'cool' or are you a troll or both? The LC is a two year course not a 13 year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I have a cousin who comes home from an exam, eats, sleeps for four/five hours and then studies till she has to leave for the next exam... Madness, I know!

A full nights sleep for me; as well as berocca in the morning and a continuous supply of polos!

Now that is hardcore :D

One of my teachers told us that there was a girl who took the rescue remedy stuff and she said it was brilliant really worked!

Then when she got her results back she wasn't happy with one of the exams so decided to view it. Went in with a teacher and turns out that she had forgot to answer a long question.

She never realised and honestly thought she had answered everything.

So ya I won't be taking that.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

TBH I wouldn't blame rescue remedy for her missing a question. I took it for the orals and though it helped. Most of it is probably in the head though.

NotExactly wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't blame rescue remedy for her missing a question. I took it for the orals and though it helped. Most of it is probably in the head though.

She was probably tierd as well...... A's you would be like. It could have been an easy excuse at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

NotExactly wrote: »
    Are you one of those people who think doing no study is 'cool' or are you a troll or both? The LC is a two year course not a 13 year one.

okay maybe its not exactly:pac: a 13 year course but after so many years in school i doubt trying to relearn things now is going to help much. Much 'cooler' was just trying not to miss many days and learning it the first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

One of my teachers told us that there was a girl who took the rescue remedy stuff and she said it was brilliant really worked!

Then when she got her results back she wasn't happy with one of the exams so decided to view it. Went in with a teacher and turns out that she had forgot to answer a long question.

She never realised and honestly thought she had answered everything.

So ya I won't be taking that.........

I'm sure that there are more people who don't take Rescue Remedy that forget questions than those who do!

In our all girls school I know there'll be bottles of this stuff flying around, though it doesn't seem to work for me! :( I might try it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

"Sleep could prove to be an important part of the strategy for preparing for challenges such as exams. "The fact that sleep provoked slightly more plasticity (connections between nerve cells) than double the amount of exposure to experience – suggests that if you reviewed your notes thoroughly until you were tired and then slept, you'd achieve as much plasticity, or 'learning,' in the brain as if you'd pulled an all-nighter repeating your review of the material," says Michael P. Stryker, Ph.D., researcher at the University of California, San Francisco Studies have shown that sleep-loss affects learning and memory. When animals and humans are deprived of sleep, they do not perform well on memory tasks "
    Link : http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/sleep.html

Advertisement