Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Front Porch

• 05-06-2011 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anyone have an idea of how difficult it would be to completely remove a front porch with sliding aluminium doors?

This is an old 80's style house with grey aluminum sliding doors and we'd really love to remove this and bring the actual front door out getting rid of the 'porch' bit altogether.

Is this possible without costing a complete fortune?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Have you any pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiorCraft

Thanks for the reply.

I've attached the only two pics I have at the moment. Hope this helps to get more of an idea

Hi
    Are you hoping to re use the inside door

Ideally we would like to replace the original door and frame but it's not absolutely necessary.

If you are handy removal would take about 3 hrs refitting the new door and frame would take about 8hrs with a friend now the cost I would guess @ 900 for a new unit then all you need to do is get the inside ope re plastered so even getting in a plaster all in all about 1200 (Now this is a guess).

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Thanks for your advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I think you'll find your hallway will be a good deal colder come winter time if you proceed with your plan. You seem to be on a reasonably exposed elevated site and you'd be surprised the amount of heat that "air-lock" is keeping in the hallway.

In fact a lot of the neighbours around me have gone the opposite way and sealed up their open porches by installing PVC double glazing and doors to achieve exactly what you already have there, and that's in a well protected urban environment. Just something to consider before you get out the sledge hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Friend of mine replaced a sliding door on the porch with a new front door and side light but also put a pair of glazed double doors where the old front door was and it looks great. They still have porch for heat retention and the glazed doors let light through to the hallway.

Advertisement