Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Hour In Ireland

Options
  • 05-06-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I worked at a pub back in 2003 when the Intoxicating Liquor Act was enacted and the pub I worked at was forced by Gardai to remove drink specials from all signage and promotional materials. Since then over the years a few pubs in town were threatened by the Gards for trying to get around the happy hour law and threatened with closure if they did not stop effectively trying to get around the law banning happy hour.

That being said I was in Dublin last weekend an dozens, literally dozens of places had happy hour specials. They had them listed on leaflets, on signs, on sandwich boards in front of their premises, and posted on their Facebook accounts.

On top of this we found at the clubs they charge one price up to 8 PM then raise it after 8 PM.

How is this legal? It bothers me that in the part of the country I live if anyone charges anything other than a set standard price all day every day they get threatened with closure by the powers that be, yet in Dublin they are allowed to openly break the law and advertise the fact without any repercussions.

If there something I am missing here or has Dublin City passed some new legislation allowing them to legally engage in such behaviour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

AFAIK you are not missing anything- Dublin City Council does not have any exemption from the law and nor do publicans.

Since about 2009 happy hours and promotions begun creeping back into Dublin pubs to the point now where nearly all of them engage in the practice. The publicans aren't being quizzed by Gardai about it, perhaps an order came from up on high about giving them a break. On the other side customers ain't complaining if it means they get a pint for less.

If you're concerned about it you're certainly free to write to the DPP or make a complaint to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have no problem with it, I think the law is silly to begin with and served no other purpose than to further the right-wing PD's crazy dreams at the time.

I am though upset by the fact that outside of Dublin the Gards use the law as a cudgel to shut down small local pubs in remote areas and in the City of Dublin they turn a blind eye.

Then people wonder why the economy is in the state it is in right now outside of Dublin. Here in the west we have 25% unemployment in some areas. Many mates of mine used to work at pubs, but over 50% of pubs have close in Clare in the past couple of years.

One law for some, another law for others. Looks like thats the norm in todays society.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

CptSternn wrote: »
    I have no problem with it, I think the law is silly to begin with and served no other purpose than to further the right-wing PD's crazy dreams at the time.

I am though upset by the fact that outside of Dublin the Gards use the law as a cudgel to shut down small local pubs in remote areas and in the City of Dublin they turn a blind eye.

Then people wonder why the economy is in the state it is in right now outside of Dublin. Here in the west we have 25% unemployment in some areas. Many mates of mine used to work at pubs, but over 50% of pubs have close in Clare in the past couple of years.

One law for some, another law for others. Looks like thats the norm in todays society.
    Was it really the PDs that effected this rule in the first place? It just doesn't seem to fit in with their general viewpoint in the first place.

Was it really the PDs that effected this rule in the first place? It just doesn't seem to fit in with their general viewpoint in the first place.

It was McDowell's baby sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The way the legislation is framed is that you can increase the price as the day goes on*, but you can't reduce the price.

So, wha the "Dubliin" pubs are doing is having their promotions in the time immediately after opening. In some cases this can be 10pm or later.

There is a fuzzy zone where they will have "Bottles of Brand XYZ €3", but only have 50 bottles of it, but that seems to comply with the law.

* Many pubs increase their prices at around midnight to cover the higher costs of wages, licences and insurance.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    The way the legislation is framed is that you can increase the price as the day goes on*, but you can't reduce the price.

So, wha the "Dubliin" pubs are doing is having their promotions in the time immediately after opening. In some cases this can be 10pm or later.

There is a fuzzy zone where they will have "Bottles of Brand XYZ €3", but only have 50 bottles of it, but that seems to comply with the law.

* Many pubs increase their prices at around midnight to cover the higher costs of wages, licences and insurance.

I contacted a friend at the VFI and he said pretty much the same thing. Pubs will open their doors @ 4PM and then offer cheap drink deals from 4-9PM then raise the prices and that is totally legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

What about entry fee (lets say XXX euro) and free drinks all night long. Lots of places in Spain does that.
    Would it be legal here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    What about entry fee (lets say XXX euro) and free drinks all night long. Lots of places in Spain does that.
    Would it be legal here?

Yeah some places did all you could think for €35 and it's was all the quality brands. But I think that was more of the expensive clubs in Dublin. But I think the run down clubs use to do it for like €20.

But most people I know take the last bus into the city at 11:30 drunk. So theyre is no need for all you can drink.

Tbh I think the gardas have bigger fish to fry in Dublin city that a few bars with happy hour. The amount of people i know who have gotten their iPhones stolen in the last few months is ridculous. Some by people trying to feed their addictions. I would prefer a safer street than a happy hour which no one is arsed going to

Would it be legal here?
    Probably legal, but perhaps not financially astute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Would it be legal here?

Some places in Germany too. There tends to be unlimited 'other things' too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

CptSternn wrote: »

I disagree.

The main reasons for downturn u. The drinks industry are
    1. Less disposable income
    2. Drink driving laws.
    3. Smoking ban.

It's not because you can sell your pint 10c cheaper between 5 and 6. If its legal for the city pubs to increase their price as the day and night go on its legal for rural pubs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I disagree.

2. Drink driving laws.
    3. Smoking ban.

It's not because you can sell your pint 10c cheaper between 5 and 6. If its legal for the city pubs to increase their price as the day and night go on its legal for rural pubs too.

Legal but not practical.

Auld fellas (the main customers) in a country pub will go bananas if the price of a pint goes up throughout the night. In a city bar this is far less likely to happen.

Some places in Germany too. There tends to be unlimited 'other things' too...
    Would it be legal here?
    Happens pretty often in Dublin.

2. Drink driving laws.
    3. Smoking ban.
    There has also been a shift from pub to home drinking.

Advertisement