Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Reviews

Options
  • 05-06-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I am just starting this thread to see some of the places where people get their hardware information from and do their research. I guess everyone has their own particular favorites that they know and trust. I mean sometimes its not possible to get all your information here :)

Personally I get Custom PC and PC Format every month. They give me something to read on the train home from work for a week or so. I'm not sure if this is only recently or not but i find Custom PC is Nvidia biased and PC Format is AMD. I think Custom PC is a better read though.

I keep an eye on techpowerup for the latest releases and reviews. Some of the links they have are not great so I usually stick to the review sites like tomshardware or hardwarecanucks. I also like that fella Linus on youtube. Good reviews and talks alot of sense.

Anyway that's where I usually go to keep up with the latest hardware releases and reviews. I'm wondering if anyone has any other good recommendations? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

here are some..

www.techpowerup.com for graphics cards - easy to read and good comparison charts

www.anandtech.com - strive to be unbiased, in depth reviews and excellent "bench" page to compare CPU's, SSD's and graphics cards

www.theregister.co.uk - more general news

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

JonnyGuru is excellent for PSU-related articles, reviews and discussion
    XBit Labs can be very handy for accurate power consumption figures, as they built a custom testing rig for the purpose.
    Hardware Secrets is good for news and reviews, especially cases
    Overclockers Club and Extreme OC are good for the odd enthusiast-grade gear review and are good for folding- and overclocking-related stuff and forums.
    Don't forget Legit Reviews, Bit-Tech or Guru3D either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Pretty much what Solitare said. I'd probably also through in HardOCP with Anandtech as well, with regards to trying to be unbiased and thurough in all their reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

Solitaire wrote: »

Agreed.

It's the most in depth i have seen for Power Supplies also,
    and does its own efficiency tests which is the most imporant thing of all.

Probably great for other components also...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Solitaire wrote: »
    JonnyGuru is excellent for PSU-related articles, reviews and discussion
    XBit Labs can be very handy for accurate power consumption figures, as they built a custom testing rig for the purpose.
    Overclockers Club and Extreme OC are good for the odd enthusiast-grade gear review and are good for folding- and overclocking-related stuff and forums.
    Don't forget Legit Reviews, Bit-Tech or Guru3D either!

This is pretty much my list too.

Add in Overclock3d.net too.

The ones I open on a daily basis are:

Guru3d.com (my fav, I'm a long term member on the forums there, same username), Bit-tech, Anandtech & Xbit.

If you're looking for a bit more general news in a tongue-in-cheek style, you can't beet Fudzilla for a bit of rumour and info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement