Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuing Students Accommodation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DocToBe

So sick of waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smurk

anyone places left in merville for continuing undergraduates??

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Well thank f*ck for that. Finally got my place in Glenomena. Just hoping my friends can log in early and get in with me.

Well thank f*ck for that. Finally got my place in Glenomena. Just hoping my friends can log in early and get in with me.

Congrats! :)
    Many places left in Glenomena? One of my friends already has her place there, and we were hoping to share!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

There seemed to be, but I'm actually a postgrad and so was booking for the full year not just the two semesters, so there was free rooms for full year residents.

• Advertisement

There seemed to be, but I'm actually a postgrad and so was booking for the full year not just the two semesters, so there was free rooms for full year residents.

Oh right cool, well hopefully there will be ones by the time I eventually get to apply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Teresa_123

Is there any exchange student who got an email or who was able to proceed with their application for accommodation? I sent an email again to Residences but have not gotten any reply yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spon

I`m also a german exchange student. I began the application process today morning, but I don`t get an email. Perhaps, they won`t send mail to the exchange student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 adorna

i called the international office and wrote an email to residences. residences wrote back and asked forr student number and phone number. iwrote them. no reaction. then i received this email from the international office and the complete application button appeared:

Dear Student,

We noted that you were one of the first to commence an application for accommodation this morning. We regret that there were problems with the system which we are in the process of resolving.

Meanwhile, we would like to give you an opportunity to complete your application before we open this to others.
    When you log into system - and go to the Student Accommodation menu - you will notice a menu option "Complete your Application" which will bring you back into the booking system. Click "Book Now" to commence the process.
    Thank you for your patience.

Yours sincerely,
    Kate O’Hanlon
    International Rectuitment Assistant
    UCD International Office
    Gerard Manley Hopkins Centre
    UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4

I now have my room in Roebuck Hall. Good luck to you!!!

Finally got Glenomena! That was definitely worth the 12 hour wait! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

I'm an MSc Finance student and booked for Proby for Sem 1 + Sem 2 + Summer 2012. Are these the right dates?

Can anyone help? What is best for graduate students at Smurfit: Blackrock East/West/Novitiate? Grateful for any hints!

No rooms left at Proby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 XxAmy21xX

Anyone in house 2 in Glenomena?! It's freaking me out not knowing who im living with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

XxAmy21xX wrote: »
    Anyone in house 2 in Glenomena?! It's freaking me out not knowing who im living with!

If you click on the blue (i) beside the accommodation menu when you are appling you can see how many undergrads/PGs and their gender are in your apt.
    You might get lucky or you might not, its nature of the place, theres always one person where somethings wrong (messy, too quiet, too noisy), but generally most people are grand, don't worry.

A lot of houses in glenomena have certain traits, every year, same trait, despite different people, 2 has always been a nice one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

For those that stayed on campus last year, does last year's deposit get offset against this year's balance?

On my SIS it says
    Current Year Balance x
    Previous Year Balance -349.99
    Account Balance x (which is 349.99 less than the current year balance)

I'm guessing this -349.99 is last year's deposit (not entirely sure where the cent was lost, but I think I underpaid last year's accomodation fee by 1 cent (I must have rounded to a whole number) so it must have been deducted :p ). Does this mean that I have gotten the full deposit back yet, because I thought they inspect the place and then send it back into a bank account.

For those that stayed on campus last year, does last year's deposit get offset against this year's balance?

On my SIS it says
    Current Year Balance x
    Previous Year Balance -349.99
    Account Balance x (which is 349.99 less than the current year balance)

I'm guessing this -349.99 is last year's deposit (not entirely sure where the cent was lost, but I think I underpaid last year's accomodation fee by 1 cent (I must have rounded to a whole number) so it must have been deducted :p ). Does this mean that I have gotten the full deposit back yet, because I thought they inspect the place and then send it back into a bank account.

Your supposed to get an email which tells you to go to SIS then you put bank info in, and they transfer the money into that account.
    I've never heard of a deposit rolling over (sometimes from semester 2 to the summer but not to next year)
    The systems gone a bit mental at the moment peoples SIS are saying all kinda strange things, I'd ignore it fora while and come back to it.

It may be that they're now letting the balance roll over (i really dont think so) and you paid again thus going into credit with UCD, and you'll get the email and do the refund which will make that balance zero.

But shouldn't that balance show 3-5k? Since at this stage you should have paid deposit but would not have paid full balance yet? or did you just pay full balance outright?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yea the balance does show the full amount, as all I have paid is the 350 deposit upon booking, but the 'Account Balance' is 349.99 less than the Current Year Balance.

I don't really mind - refunding it into the bank account or rolling it over is effectively the same thing, I'm just wondering did it mean that the deposits were returned in full.

Yea the balance does show the full amount, as all I have paid is the 350 deposit upon booking, but the 'Account Balance' is 349.99 less than the Current Year Balance.

I don't really mind - refunding it into the bank account or rolling it over is effectively the same thing, I'm just wondering did it mean that the deposits were returned in full - I have friends who stayed in a house, and without giving much away I would be very surprised if they got the full deposit back :eek: - I should ask them what appears on their account!

I'd just ignore it for a while and see if its still there at end of the summer, then if it is ring them and ask about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

I have the same thing appearing on my SISweb account too.

Deposits never roll over by the way. Well, that didn't happen during my time in UCD accomodation.

I was a " final year " I've left UCD and I kinda need my deposit back. It says - 349.77 (forgot to pay 23 cents) but I didn't get any email. I'm assuming that they're waiting for the bookings to be over so they can give us our money back.

Did they even checked the apartments out ? Because I think that if they were to make the deductions, they would make them all at the same time including penalties.

I didn't get any email at all. Should I ring Glenomena or what ?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure as last year was my first year of staying on campus, but I was in my apartment on the last day before the lease expired (I checked out that day) and 4 guys with clipboards came into my bedroom and looked around, so obviously they have (or in the process of) checking the place out.

But I'm not positive!

Room checks are well over by now.
    But theres over 800 room check forms for the res managment staff to go through from Glenomena alone, and thats only 1-2 people going through all that, deciding on deductions for each one, if any, if x is worth a deduction or not yada yda... alongside all the caos over the booking system, answering calls about next year, dealing with maintenance issues, dealing with sports scholarship bookings, the new crop of RAs, international bookings for next year etc
    Just try to imagine the scale of paperwork they have to go through, they don't just sit there playing solitaire :P

Don't call about this, they sent out an email about it already and might get a bit irritated, esp since it will probably be their 10th call of the day asking about something they already explained :D

Takes time to go through that many room check forms.

They've actually improved the way it works now they wont send cheques you get an email and it tells you to go to an SIS link where you put your bank details in and they just give you the amount.

An email was sent to everyones SIS about deposits, they will be sorted by the end of June so don't worry.
    You'll get your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Might be the wrong place to ask.. But do any of you know what the internet connection is like in Glenomena?
    I'll probably be staying their next year (doing the leaving now), so was wondering.

._. wrote: »
    Might be the wrong place to ask.. But do any of you know what the internet connection is like in Glenomena?
    I'll probably be staying their next year (doing the leaving now), so was wondering.

It's a little funny in 6 and 8, between 12 and 3am it seems to drop randomly.

Everywhere else its really good.

It's a little funny in 6 and 8, between 12 and 3am it seems to drop randomly.

Everywhere else its really good.

That's very useful information, thanks :D

What kind of speeds do you get? And are torrents blocked?

That's very useful information, thanks :D

What kind of speeds do you get? And are torrents blocked?

The ports for torrents appear to be blocked, yes.

I've gotten download speeds of 1.5mbps in 9 and 10 which seem to have better routers than the rest.

Some things are more restricted on the UCD website less for piracy issues and more for security issues, its a widely used open network so has to be protected from attack.
    No websites are blocked but some types of programs like torrents won't work.

The ports for torrents appear to be blocked, yes.

I've gotten download speeds of 1.5mbps in 9 and 10 which seem to have better routers than the rest.

Some things are more restricted on the UCD website less for piracy issues and more for security issues, its a widely used open network so has to be protected from attack.
    No websites are blocked but some types of programs like torrents won't work.
    Ah, so I suppose all but port 80 are blocked then?
    I'm pretty sure I can get around that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Hey guys, I took a look on sisweb for the list of available accommodations but the only ones it showed up are in Roebuck castle which is way to expensive (5.5 grand wtf?). Anyone know where the other residencies are listed and why is Roebuck castle so expensive?

I think Roebuck Halls and Glenomena are around 5.5 grand as well, Roebuck Castle is more because it's catered (i.e. includes breakfast and dinner!). It's very nice, I stayed there last year (like you, it's all that was on the list as I got campus very late), but there's 12 in the apartment, no oven/grill and no freezer!

• Advertisement

Ah, so I suppose all but port 80 are blocked then?
    I'm pretty sure I can get around that ;)

Netsoc (not sure if they still exist?) used to be able to get around that sorta thing.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Hey guys, I took a look on sisweb for the list of available accommodations but the only ones it showed up are in Roebuck castle which is way to expensive (5.5 grand wtf?). Anyone know where the other residencies are listed and why is Roebuck castle so expensive?

Kinda late mate the big bulk of people were applying when it opened last week, plus CAO folks on the waiting list.
    Roebuck Castle is so pricey because your paying for food as well as the usual rent and utilities.

Also remember:

Don't compare UCD Accommodation Fees to private sector rent its not like with like, ucd fees combine all utilities,net,heat,waste charges,insurance etc into one combined payment.
    To really have a comparison you'd have to add likley bills together with the private rent, and you wont' get private rent to bill you for ESB or recycling at a flat rate like UCD will.

Also keep in mind you pay it in three segments not all up front.

Theres places that always open up though throughout year with cancellations closer to September. What year are you in? Your eligibility category may be affecting what rooms you can view.

Advertisement