Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student fee's

Options
  • 05-06-2011 11:48am

By Edel O'Connell

Tuesday May 31 2011

EDUCATION Minister Ruairi Quinn performed a U-turn on a key election promise last night by admitting he wouldn't reverse a €500 hike in college registration fees.

And the minister refused to rule out the introduction of third-level fees and further student charges -- another pre-election pledge.

The Labour Party minister admitted the student registration charge will rise to €2,000 per student in September -- despite promising before the general election that he would not support the €500 increase.

Mr Quinn refused to be drawn on whether there would be a re-introduction of fees to offset a funding crisis in the third-level sector.

The Government is now expected to make a decision on that by the end of the year.

If fees, loans or new charges are brought in, they would kick in from the September 2012 academic year.

The issue is set to be another bone of contention between the coalition partners.

The minister said the issue of finance at third level would have to be addressed, but as yet no proposals were being considered.

"The matter hasn't been discussed. There is a resource issue clearly, just on the sheer numbers," Mr Quinn said.

The minister said the Government would have to look at ways to finance the growing demand in the education sector.

But he added: "I have not ruled anything in or out."

Mr Quinn signed a Union of Students in Ireland pledge during the election campaign that Labour would not reintroduce third-level fees in government, or support an increase in the Student Services Charge.

But the minister said the Government had to accept Budget 2011, under which the registration fee would increase from €1,500 to €2,000.

On the wider issue of a possible re-introduction of fees, Fine Gael proposed a student loans scheme as its official election policy but the Labour Party promised no fees at all.

The question was fudged when the parties went into government together.

Mr Quinn has commissioned a report on funding for the education sector and is not ruling out the introduction of fees and new student charges.

Overhaul

The Higher Education Authority (HEA) is expected to come back to the minister by the end of the year. A decision will likely be made in time for Budget 2012 at the start of December.

A coalition source said the minister was not going to pre-empt what the HEA report would recommend.

Mr Quinn also announced the CAO points system would be subject to a major overhaul.

He said this review would be part of a programme of education reform that also includes a recasting of both the Junior and Leaving Certificate exams which would take in the region of six years to roll out.

Mr Quinn was speaking after addressing the Royal Irish Academy on the Hunt Report on higher education.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

yet another promise they have backed out of......... thats 3 that directly affect me!
    That move to the UK so I can work is looking more and more likely :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cianeill

I called into Ciaran Lynchs office( cork south central T.D) to highlight to his secetary the fact that during the election campaign Mr Lynch gave me a solid undertaking that the 500 euro increase would be recinded and that to have no doubt that Labour in Government would not allow fees to be re-introduced.
    She seemed taken a back then when I questioned the honesty of Mr Lynch in giving undertakings and not following them through.
    She said it was Ruiari Quinns decision.
    I bursted out laughing and informed her that I thought both Mr Quin and Mr Lynch were members of the Labour party and she said they are but unfortunately Mr Lynch did not get a ministry.e
    What a jok

Advertisement