Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will operators reduce their data roaming price from 1st July 11?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That was 1st July 2010 ingen for most of the main changes but is that the wholesale price or not?

edit
    oops I see it now. Aren't most of the operators offering this or better already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

cookie1977 wrote: »
    That was 1st July 2010 ingen for most of the main changes but is that the wholesale price or not?

edit
    oops I see it now. Aren't most of the operators offering this or better already?

dont think so... o2 still charge €1 mb out of bundle roaming per mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Who is best for PAYG data roaming, as far as i can see, Vodafone seem to be the best with passport applied?

Wholesale data cap - €1.00 per megabyte, reducing to €0.80 on 1 July 2010 and €0.50 on 1 July 2011

i wonder what the retail data rate per mb will be after the 1st July..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Well as I said most...apart form O2 who just seem belligerent in this regard. With regards to data roaming it wont change but I know the are looking at this again with the view to capping data roaming data charges and new max rates.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/phone-users-pay-euro60-per-hour-to-surf-web-abroad-2660989.html
    A European Commission spokesperson confirmed to the Irish Independent that it would publish legislation in June introducing strict new rules on data roaming costs. It is understood this will include new retail price ceilings on the cost of downloading data on phones abroad, and a mechanism to allow consumers to shop around for better roaming rates. Consumers have already been helped by last year's EU measure cutting off overseas internet accessif your roaming bill exceeds €60 to avoid exorbitant bills, though customers can opt out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Probably not. The rates dropped to €1/MB (ex. VAT) nearly two years ago, yet this year:
    O2 charge €4.96/MB for the first 4MB while roaming.
    Three charge up to €7/MB in non-Three countries.
    Meteor charged €10/MB up to recently, now 99c/MB.

Vodafone charge up to €2.99 for up to 50MB per day which is about the only decent data roaming rate.

Kensington wrote: »
    Probably not. The rates dropped to €1/MB (ex. VAT) nearly two years ago, yet this year:
    O2 charge €4.96/MB for the first 4MB while roaming.
    Three charge up to €7/MB in non-Three countries.
    Meteor charged €10/MB up to recently, now 99c/MB.

Vodafone charge up to €2.99 for up to 50MB per day which is about the only decent data roaming rate.

o2 charge me €1 per mb while roaming. ( if i dont use an add on)

iphone and data roaming = dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

any word of any reductions tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Vodafone seem to be the best with passport applied?

Vodafone have better rates than most, but they are not connected to passport, that would be logical.

With the free internet offer with a €20 top up now with vodafone, roaming isnt to bad at all. I think its just 2.99€ a day now for 100mb (Without free internet it would be 2.99+.99c a day?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's €2.99 for 50MB per day for everyone on ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Further EU proposals seems to envisage that you could have a roaming operator, in addition to your regular deal. When this comes about it will open up competition, Ryanair (say) could sell roaming throughout Europe at a good rate.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0707/1224300211190.html

Vodafone have abolised their data roaming charges this summer. you only get 50mb a day though, but more than sufficent for checking mobile websites/email etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

snaps wrote: »
    Vodafone have abolised their data roaming charges this summer. you only get 50mb a day though, but more than sufficent for checking mobile websites/email etc

o2have 50cent per MB instead of €4.98 a MB. Its a opt in thing, you freetext them and its added to your billpay account

Advertisement