Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Eyed Cream Connemara Stallion

Options
  • 05-06-2011 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Does anyone know of a BEC Connemara stallion at stud here in Ireland?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I was only talking to a connemara breeder about this recently.

The blue eyed cream is not a desirable colour for breeders. When they have mares this colour they tend to breed them with conventional coloured stallions and most colts with this colour would be gelded and not used for breeding so it is not likely that you would find a stallion of this colour easily or of good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saphire1979

I was only talking to a connemara breeder about this recently.

The blue eyed cream is not a desirable colour for breeders. When they have mares this colour they tend to breed them with conventional coloured stallions and most colts with this colour would be gelded and not used for breeding so it is not likely that you would find a stallion of this colour easily or of good quality.

Thanks AngleMangle. Yes I know alot of old fashioned breeders don't like them as it was thought back in the day that they had a defect but instead they are among the most beautiful horses around today. I am trying to breed a cremello/BEC with a sport mare to get dun/palomino.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Have you tried the Connemara Pony Breeders Society? I know they have a list of stallions on their Website http://www.cpbs.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saphire1979

Have you tried the Connemara Pony Breeders Society? I know they have a list of stallions on their Website http://www.cpbs.ie/

Yes used the database search and can't track the current whereabouts of any. I contacted the society by email twice but didn't even get a response. Thanks for your help AngelMangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

To the best of my knowledge there are no BEC connemara stallions standing in Ireland. Most breeders don't understand the genetics involved, and don't realize the duns and palaminos are single dilutes, and BECs are simply double dilutes. There is still a lot of misinformation. There are however many duns as I'm sure you know, and at least one palamino. My suggestion would be if you are going for a BEC, to breed a dun/palamino mare to one of the many duns or the few palamino stallions. That would give you a fair chance of getting a BEC. You will be told you are utterly insane if you tell anyone you are actually TRYING to breed for BEC though lol

If you buy a BEC mare, there are a number of those around, you can always cover her with a dun or palamino, and you have something like a 75% chance of making another BEC. You'll at least get a dun or palamino for sure out of the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

There are other BECs around, does it have to be a connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭wosheen

saphire1979, perhaps give a ring to Roger Joyce at Knockillaree Riding Centre & Stud in Connemara - http://www.connemarahorseriding.com/

I know he has a connemara stallion standing at stud in his yard who won champion Connemara Stallion at the RDS 2 years ago, he has a few others as well and might have a blue-eyed cream one or if he doesn't he knows a LOT of people in the connemara world and can probably point you in the right direction. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MerryLegs

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/2315533

He's obviously not old enough, but would be worth the buy in a few years if you decide not to geld him,you'd make good money from putting him at stud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ore1

Just saw your question. Have a year and a half old blue eyed cream Connemara colt. Is this what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

While it may have been done in ignorance - avoiding the double dilute for generations did unfortunately have the effect that you will rarely find a cream comparable in quality to that of a grey, bay or dun.

With the horse market and breeding the way it is - you would do well to breed for quality, soundness and ability rather then just for colour alone.

If colour is still important then there are other types, there was a stunning class I registered connemara stud on deal deal last year- true blue roan, but he had no foals as yet so the owner didn't know if he was hetero or homozygous. (100% roan foals or 50% chance)

If you didn't get the colour you wanted you could still have a quality foal... well, depending on the mare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement