Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Books

Options
  • 05-06-2011 1:22pm

I'm a massive fan of anything to do with Zombies, especially some books relating to the subject. A lot of people will probably guffaw at the idea of this, but they are also extremely interesting character studies - how will the world change after an outbreak has occurred?

So, what are the books that fellow posters have read and what did you think of them?

The ones that I have personally read and thoroughly enjoyed are:

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion
    This is a curious one. Not only is it the first Zombie love story that I have ever come across, but it is also written from the point of view of one specific Zombie by the name of "R" who falls in love with a live girl. At first I was dubious, but as I continued reading it slowly grew on me and found myself enjoying it much more than I could have imagined.

Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist
    Sweden experiences an extremely odd heatwave and reverse blackout (nothing electrical can be turned off), which all culminates in the recent dead coming back to life. The authorities scramble to get to the source of the problem, yet it also tells the story of the bereaved having to cope with their relatives/loved-ones coming back. How would you deal with this? It's a very interesting read from the same author of Let the Right One In.

Obviously no list of Zombie books would ever be complete without special mention to the Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z, both by Max Brooks. These are the definitive books if you ever have an interest in Zombies.

Feed by Mirra Grant
    This is the book I'm currently reading now and is set 20 years after the initial Zombie outbreak that has spread the globe. It is extremely interesting and sheds light on how culture and politics has changed since then.

So, does anyone else have any more recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I have'nt read a lot of these type of books,but I found this one to be quite good.Give it a try.
    No:51 Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne
    510Vg5Q%2BdIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

"Originally started as an online fiction journal, ‘Day by Day Armageddon’ is written in a diary form from the perspective of a lone survivor in a post-apocalyptic world that is overrun by the living dead. The author, John Bourne has been writing this ongoing zombie saga in between serving as a U.S. Naval officer. His knowledge of tactical survival and weaponry is reflected perfectly within the pages of the novel. Sometimes quite clumsily written, the book gives off a realistic viewpoint of this harrowing and desperate situation. "

Not my usual reading material,Came across this online,and ending up reading the free sample chapters available. Did'nt expect to like it ,but I did, so ordered the book...............now Part 2 is in the post.smile.gif

If your a fan of The Walking Dead ,then give this try.

http://www.tacticalunderground.us/

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon...pr_product_top

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

++on Paddy Samurai's recommendation. I believe there is a sequel to it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Autumn by David Moody. It's on the shelf but I haven't read it yet. Heard good things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Mr+Darcy+Vampyre+UK.jpg

Sequal to Pride and Prejudice.....I loved it as it was a little bit different. It's not your stereotypical brain eating zombie book, but a zombie love story.... :)

....Yes, I like zombie love stories.....Zombie love is the best love! :):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

World War Z by Max Brooks, brilliantly written. Involves Zombies - but reads like part military history, part political thriller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I enjoyed World War Z

I tried Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was funny but the joke got old pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

My sister is also a lover of zombie books and here's her faves..

Monster Island
    9-monsterisland.png

World War Z
    4-worldwarz.png

A Zombie Apocalypse
    51S9wAK2%2BXL._SL210_.jpg

If you want her full list I can send you a PM just let me know :)

Advertisement