Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult shop on shop street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Any chance of pausing this thread for a bit? I'm thinking about opening a sex shop on shop street and this is good publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Awwww that's what that place is!! I thought it was a girlie accessory place with earrings and jewellery etc. Never even noticed it myself, mate just happened to look up at that moment and the colour caught her eye.

Well I'll definitely be popping in there next weekend when I'm down! It's a mates birthday and well I'm sure he would love a pink feather boa to wear to Sally Longs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Jesus is this about than pink feathers place. I've seen it there for weeks but I didn't even notice what it was, or took a second glance until it all kicked off on here. You'd swear they had manikins of gimps hanging out the windows with the way some people are over-reacting to the situation.

Was shopping yesterday and spotted it. I don't think it stands out much more than the yellow shop below it. I may not have even noticed it if it wasn't for this thread. Presumably you access it via the yellow shop which does make the entrance relatively discreet.

No objection to it. Good luck to anyone starting a business and trying to get us out of the trouble we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Asmodean wrote: »
    You'd swear they had manikins of gimps hanging out the windows with the way some people are over-reacting to the situation.

Mannequin gimp displays might be classed as amusing or entertaining. At least then it would appear to have some class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This thread needs more pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I strolled down shop street today. As I did I thought "I must see where this famous shop is that causing all the curfuffle on Boards!"

I had to stand in the middle of the street, look up and down both sides before I just about spotted the pink wall that I read about here.

That adult shop is no more an eye sore now than the back of me foot in my opinion. Complete over reaction from the OP I think, I'm seriously reckon this whole thread was created to gain publicity for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

papagormo wrote: »
    I strolled down shop street today. As I did I thought "I must see where this famous shop is that causing all the curfuffle on Boards!"

I had to stand in the middle of the street, look up and down both sides before I just about spotted the pink wall that I read about here.

That adult shop is no more an eye sore now than the back of me foot in my opinion. Complete over reaction from the OP I think, I'm seriously reckon this whole thread was created to gain publicity for the place.

It's very clever by the OP in hindsight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's very clever by the OP in hindsight ;)

True that, I had my suspicions at the very beginning once I seen the OP username! If the first post was the original reaction to an unnoticeable little shop like that, I would only love to see the reaction to...oh I dunno..that program TV3 are showing about 21st century sex!*:pac:

Not a plug for the show by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I can remember the days when Bishop Browne of Galway called most of the shots there. There were a good few things going on in Ireland in those days that were a lot worse and harmful than a shop selling some crotchless knickers and vibrators, but we never heard too many squeals out of him over those things.

Does anyone really want to go back to those days?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LikeAFox

A few things:

1. It's Williamsgate Street.

2. Do you think tourists are going home and telling there friends and families, "There was a bright pink sex shop on the main street, ruined the whole trip for us."?

3. It's just sex. Build a bridge, jump of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

LikeAFox wrote: »
    A few things:

2. Do you think tourists are going home and telling there friends and families, "There was a bright pink sex shop on the main street, ruined the whole trip for us."?

3. It's just sex. Build a bridge, jump of it.

Firstly welcome to boards...

I’d hope nobody’s trip to Galway to be so unfulfilled that they would tell there friends about a pink sex shop in Shop Street, It may take years for the main streets to become tacky and ugly and that will be a loss to a city that has great character and charm.

Just sex .. how very adequate. Might be an idea to check out the shop yourself.

off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

People have sex?! When did this happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

Sex shop, bakery or a hairdressers, I couldn't care less what it is, it is MINGING looking!!!! :eek::eek:

And it's pretty obvious anyway it was the owner who started this thread.

If your reading this, YOUR SHOP IS BUTT UGLY!!!
    And turn down the saw doctors will ya?? I'm sick of hearing them blasting out your speakers every morning on my way to work.

The shop next door ain't that great either, anybody sick of getting a face full of soap when yer man decides to stand outside with his damn bubble blower thing!?! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Emoi wrote: »
    Sex shop, bakery or a hairdressers, I couldn't care less what it is, it is MINGING looking!!!! :eek::eek:

And it's pretty obvious anyway it was the owner who started this thread.

If your reading this, YOUR SHOP IS BUTT UGLY!!!
    And turn down the saw doctors will ya?? I'm sick of hearing them blasting out your speakers every morning on my way to work.

The shop next door ain't that great either, anybody sick of getting a face full of soap when yer man decides to stand outside with his damn bubble blower thing!?! :mad:

Someone needs a ride....

mikom wrote: »
    Someone needs a ride....

Well it has been a while

Well it has been a while

Time to take things into your own hands.
    I heard there's this great new shop after opening in Galway..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Thanks God, there are people out there who can see there is something wrong and I am glad its not the the kind of people like most who posted in this thread who decide how this town looks like. It would be cheap Las Vegas nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

softmee wrote: »
    Thanks God, there are people out there who can see there is something wrong and I am glad its not the the kind of people like most who posted in this thread who decide how this town looks like. It would be cheap Las Vegas nightmare.
    You should join Hambleton and his Taisce buddies and fight for every old crumbling brick, piece of wood and grass that cant speak for themselves. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

softmee wrote: »

Yes all jokes aside this shop is a bit of a disgrace.

I've a new business in Galway City as well, and this shop and the shop next door to it opened not long after me. They have lowered the whole tone of the MAIN shopping street in Galway City and I'm not the only business owner who thinks so.

I have no issue with somebody trying to make a living, and I honestly hope they do make a living but there should be strict standards in place for businesses on Shop Street.

And it is not just these two shops, Anthony Ryans shop front is disgusting and McCambridges isn't much better.

Overall shop street was quite grubby looking long before these two new shops opened. It is totally lacking in character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yes all jokes aside this shop is a bit of a disgrace.

I've a new business in Galway City as well, and this shop and the shop next door to it opened not long after me. They have lowered the whole tone of the MAIN shopping street in Galway City and I'm not the only business owner who thinks so.

I have no issue with somebody trying to make a living, and I honestly hope they do make a living but there should be strict standards in place for businesses on Shop Street.

And it is not just these two shops, Anthony Ryans shop front is disgusting and McCambridges isn't much better.

Overall shop street was quite grubby looking long before these two new shops opened. It is totally lacking in character.
    Explain? At least McCambridges put some thought into their displays, which are usually very enticing.

Explain? At least McCambridges put some thought into their displays, which are usually very enticing.

Not their windows displays I always like their window displays, I mean the building, I think it's filthy looking so is A.R.

Or the shop opposite my office that has moss/algae growing up it's walls!
    It would take the owner 15mins to scrub it off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Has any boardsie actually complain to the owner? He did say he'd tone down the colour if people complained

Has any boardsie actually complain to the owner? He did say he'd tone down the colour if people complained

Well it's possible he (or she?) started this thread so I presume they already know!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... but there should be strict standards in place for businesses on Shop Street.

Interesting idea. Can you give us some idea what these standards should cover? Is it external colour, or type of merchandise, or what?

Frankly, Galway and indeed most of Ireland is grubby, by my standards. IMHO it's actually part of the character.

Agree with you about the music from the yellow shop though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Care to volunteer the name and location of your premises as an example of a business which doesn't "lower the tone" then?

Ficheall wrote: »
    Care to volunteer the name and location of your premises as an example of a business which doesn't "lower the tone" then?

5467074-the-girl-smiles-and-eats-popcorn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

People have sex?! When did this happen??

It's been going on for decades now. As one Fine Gael TD famously pointed out, television is to blame for it::rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_J._Flanagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

LikeAFox wrote: »
    A few things:

LikeAFox, if you're going to sign up just to be pedantic, at least get it right. :rolleyes:

It's William Street, not Williamsgate Street.

Or, if you're a true Galwegian, it's "up Shop Street by Garavan's"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement