Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult shop on shop street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I dunno why the pink-ness is upsetting people

I find it far nicer than the bright yellow of the shop underneath!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

drum! wrote: »
    Apart from the tacky pink facade, i'm not bothered by it. It'll be closed in a few months anyway, there's no way they'll make enough to cover the high rents on shop street and the ridiculous city rates.

Do you honestly think Hollands are achieving a high rent on that unit? They ain't stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

2008 high? No, but i'm sure it's still quite high compared to nearly every other unit of a similar size in other streets around Galway. That plus the rates (which are not going down) will finish this place off fairly easily. Who the f*ck is going to be seen walking into a sex shop in a high vis area like shop street in the first place?!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

2008 high? No, but i'm sure it's still quite high compared to nearly every other unit of a similar size in other streets around Galway. That plus the rates (which are not going down) will finish this place off fairly easily. Who the f*ck is going to be seen walking into a sex shop in a high vis area like shop street in the first place?!

No, it's not a high rent at all. Not after the negotiations with Carpenters fell apart. And you won't be seen walking into a sex shop. You'll be seen walking in the door of Jackpot downstairs.

you won't be seen walking into a sex shop. You'll be seen walking in the door of Jackpot downstairs.

Very clever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

What is the big deal about it?
    Everyone has sex, and everyone knows it, whether you like to believe that or not.

Sex is already everywhere, in the media, all over society....what more harm can one little shop do?

If you don't like the idea, don't go in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You'll be seen walking in the door of Jackpot downstairs.

Soon to be known as jackoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Everyone has sex...

Not everyone :(

Everyone has sex, and everyone knows it, whether you like to believe that or not.

Sex is already everywhere, in the media, all over society....what more harm can one little shop do?

If you don't like the idea, don't go in there.

You're so cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

You're so cool

Not really, just trying to make the point that, in this day and age it's hardly as if sex is under wraps.
    Young girls go around looking like call girls already, kids already have sex at the age of thirteen, the way the OP is talking, you'd think all these disgusting things weren't already around, be realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Where exactly is it? I was on shop St. yesterday and I didn't notice it.

Actually on William St (logical Shop St :) ) - where Carpenters Menswear used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

cant believe that there,s 11 pages about a sex shop in galway..will we tune in to JOE DUFFY tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,496 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The OP is generating great publicity for this sex shop.

Is this actually clever advertising? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The OP is generating great publicity for this sex shop.

Is this actually clever advertising? ;)
    was thinking the same, could the owner be the OP??:eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Ann summers is a high class establishment. Shop street is Galways main shopping thorough fair.It should be high class and not ruined by bright pink adult shops. Surely the city council could do something about, The new business would have to pay rates etc. This is my opinion.

Oh you don't like it? Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I gotta agree with OP (and shudder at my conservatism) a lot of tacky shops have opened up on shop street and IMO don’t think its a good look. Tacky seedy shops bring tacky seedy people.

I don’t know why the council don’t make better planning or choices....If gonna have such shops dont put them on the main street of d street town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    I gotta agree with OP (and shudder at my conservatism) a lot of tacky shops have opened up on shop street and IMO don’t think its a good look. Tacky seedy shops bring tacky seedy people.

I don’t know why the council don’t make better planning or choices....If gonna have such shops dont put them on the main street of d street town.
    plenty of seedy people around no matter what shops are there. Its a recession, cheap tacky shops are more prevalent as they are easier to run and less hassle to set up. i wouldn't overly worry about it if i were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

pseudonym1 wrote: »

One sensible voice after so many dull comments..

softmee wrote: »
    One sensible voice after so many dull comments..
    dull because most people seem to have a quite open mind towards something so harmless? Or just because they disagree with you?

• Advertisement

Having just read the thread in detail, I wish you could all try to remember how beautiful shop street once was and the see the potential it has. Its not about bible bashing sensibilities more about sense of the future and wanting Galway to establish itself as a cool tasteful city (town) destination. It has a fantastic reputation for arts, culture and there are some fantastic boutiques/ independent stores in Galway and this is what will set it apart from other places. Neon sex shops are not the way to go IMO.

Also it seems to me that many of the opposing arguments come accross more like weak sneers rather than objectified debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Is it the tacky paint work or the content that bother you most?

Is it not better out in the open than up a dark side street ith Junkies and drunks hassleing people? We are a fairly mature state and if you think the plane loads leaving Dublin, Cork, Ireland west and Shannon for Eastern eurpe annd Amsterdam are going on a pilgrimage think again.

The only reason Ann Sommers is not on Grafton St is rent. Try some of the shopping centre in U.K and Europe and this is probably like a swetshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

dull because most people seem to have a quite open mind towards something so harmless? Or just because they disagree with you?

Dull because they think I would be ashamed to see plastic penis and they are so emancipated because they think sex shops are so cool - and this is not about it! I cant belive i have to explain it even.. If you call it beeing "open minded" - there is no point argueing. I was talking about esthetic aspect - thats not a moral issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

i am not fan of sex shops anyway. I just think plastic penises and stuff like that are for sad people.

Having seen people using plastic penises and dildos, they definitely didn't look sad. Some were crying but it wasn't from sadness :D

Dull because they think I would be ashamed to see plastic penis and they are so emancipated because they think sex shops are so cool - and this is not about it! I cant belive i have to explain it even.. If you call it beeing "open minded" - there is no point argueing. I was talking about esthetic aspect - thats not a moral issue!

i believe you may have missed the point, nobody is saying that they are 'cool' shops, they are simply saying its not a bad thing to have it there. The starting point of the thread was an op who was outraged by this place and 99% of people commenting since have no issue with it apart from its nasty paint job. So yes compared to the OP they are open minded.

It is not so much the sales content as the cheapness it conveys, this is reflected in the decor. I don’t have a problem with sex shops and I don’t have a problem with neon pink if that is what you’re into...I don’t however think promoting it on the main street of Galway is the way to go. Something a bit more unique and tasteful would be a better option IMO. I jus don’t think it’s necessary to have such places smack bang in the city. If it were up to me Taylors pub would still be there and it would make for a far nicer side of town if it were.

So yes compared to the OP they are open minded.

I don't know if there has been much open mindedness, more like sneers and quips inferring the OP is some sort of bible basher who doesn’t believe in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I never knew that there is a plural word for penis nor did I need to know.

You know, pretty much opposite the bright yellow Jackpot and bright pink sex-shop, there is also a bright green Tribes gift shop.

Granted Tribes is done in panelling rather than paint. But it's almost as vivid. And the tourist-shyte that they sell is about as much use as the stuff sold in Jackpot and a good deal less useful to ordinary Irish man/woman than the stuff sold in the sex shop.

Should we close Tribes down, too, because it's tacky?

(For the record ... I've purchased in Tribes, when I wanted tourist / souvenir stuff to send home. I've nothing against them personally, it just struck me that the need to be part of this discussion 'cos of their location.)

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    You know, pretty much opposite the bright yellow Jackpot and bright pink sex-shop, there is also a bright green Tribes gift shop.

Granted Tribes is done in panelling rather than paint. But it's almost as vivid. And the tourist-shyte that they sell is about as much use as the stuff sold in Jackpot and a good deal less useful to ordinary Irish man/woman than the stuff sold in the sex shop.

Should we close Tribes down, too, because it's tacky?

(For the record ... I've purchased in Tribes, when I wanted tourist / souvenir stuff to send home. I've nothing against them personally, it just struck me that the need to be part of this discussion 'cos of their location.)

Providing such specific tourist tack is expected in any town/city. Is it not? IMHO Kelly green and neon pink... mmmm no comparison which is worse. Neon pink,

In fairness I don't think it is just the sex shop its all the cheap and tacky shops that have opened of late on shop street. I just dont think its cool or will serve the city in best possible light.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement