Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult shop on shop street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I only noticed this place for the first time today, as I was looking out for it after reading this thread.
    The windows are blacked out, and I don't think I even saw the word "sex". I can't even see how to get in there. Where are the stairs?
    I don't see how anyone can have a problem with it. It's a legitimate, legal business and doesn't display anything unsuitable for minors or draw much attention to itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I only noticed this place for the first time today, as I was looking out for it after reading this thread.
    The windows are blacked out, and I don't think I even saw the word "sex". I can't even see how to get in there. Where are the stairs?
    I don't see how anyone can have a problem with it. It's a legitimate, legal business and doesn't display anything unsuitable for minors or draw much attention to itself.
    The problem is people who would start a thread like this, usually are attempting to get their nose that little bit higher, and have their heads tilted back. The OP can presumably only see the upstairs of all shops on shop street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

i must be walking about looking at my feet, i never noticed it at all.
    Then again i dont visit town all that much during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    I dont think they do to much walking...

So how are they soliciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

inisboffin wrote: »
    So how are they soliciting?

Its a small town easy enough to find out! Sorry if being evasive but its not my place to say and its getting a bit off topic at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I've seen it today and my eyes hurt.. its worse then i thought it could be and it really is a shame.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

softmee wrote: »
    I've seen it today and my eyes hurt.. its worse then i thought it could be and it really is a shame.

Now now, no need to be a drama queen - although if your eyes do actually hurt you should seek medical help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Where on shop street is it

Was in town today and didn't notice it

Mactard wrote: »
    Now now, no need to be a drama queen - although if your eyes do actually hurt you should seek medical help.

I am far from beeing drama queen and even if would like to be I will be as much as I want to! :P
    -and no need to worry about my eyes i got them checked for my driving license recently and they are perfectly fine. :pac:

This house windows look ugly and stupid and this is my opinion.

Where on shop street is it

Was in town today and didn't notice it

Near body shop, but first floor almost opposite to foot locker (or some shoe shop like it)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I am far from beeing drama queen and even if would like to be I will be as much as I want to! :P
    -and no need to worry about my eyes i got them checked for my driving license recently and they are perfectly fine. :pac:

This house windows look ugly and stupid and this is my opinion.

In fairness, you stated your opinion about it being ugly a couple of days ago, and that was before you had actually seen the place, couple that with your rather sensationalised statements, well, it's my opinion that you lack credibility.

In fairness, you stated your opinion about it being ugly a couple of days ago, and that was before you had actually seen the place, couple that with your rather sensationalised statements, well, it's my opinion that you lack credibility.

If credibility ratings are applied that with make most posts (except mine)on this thread defunct.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

To my absolute horror today when walking down Shop street I saw that an adult shop had opened up. Shop street is the jewel of Galway city and I am extremely disappointed that the city council have allowed this to happen. Also I saw that in my opinion a few very tacky looking shops have opened up in shop street. Surely the integrity of this street should be maintained?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats because it would be a miracle if this place would be made with some class.

Had to look for it, saw it today. Yes bright pink, over a bright yellow shop, across the road from some bright blue paint!

It's as far from seedy now, as a seedless grape!
    At first glance up I thought - looks like a joke shop or hairdressers.

It's no better or worse in terms of tack than 70% of the shops, and marginally better than some of the the 2 euro dvd/pixie sheep oirish t-shirts/cheapo phone shops.
    I *do* see the point about it being nice to have old quaint streets, but it is in the middle of a modernised shopping area, and frankly doesn't stand out unless you stand, look up, and stare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

This thread is nowhere near as entertaining as what can be found in a sex shop:pac:

It's as far from seedy now, as a seedless grape!
    At first glance up I thought - looks like a joke shop or hairdressers.

It's no better or worse in terms of tack than 70% of the shops, and marginally better than some of the the 2 euro dvd/pixie sheep oirish t-shirts/cheapo phone shops.
    I *do* see the point about it being nice to have old quaint streets, but it is in the middle of a modernised shopping area, and frankly doesn't stand out unless you stand, look up, and stare.

Ya,I thought it was a garish looking hairdressers upon first glance.. then when looked and stared (as I often tend too) ...just thought the whole area looked a bit tacky, which is a shame as I don't think that is the image the city wants to portray or the way the main street should develop.

Ya,I thought it was a garish looking hairdressers upon first glance.. then when looked and stared (as I often tend too) ...just thought the whole area looked a bit tacky, which is a shame as I don't think that is the image the city wants to portray or the way the main street should develop.

Yeah, then I suppose the issue is less about the type of business IMO, and more abou a consistency in facade on the street (excuse the pun). I just don't see anything like that ever happening (like in a 'preserved' heritage street), and tbh it is a shoppers st, Quay St and High St on are more 'strolly' IMO

Yeah, then I suppose the issue is less about the type of business IMO, and more abou a consistency in facade on the street (excuse the pun). I just don't see anything like that ever happening (like in a 'preserved' heritage street), and tbh it is a shoppers st, Quay St and High St on are more 'strolly' IMO

Meh ..IMO the main street in a place as small as Galway the choice of shops, their content and the outer appearance should meet a particular criterion. That would require planning and strategy from the council though so...pffft wouldn't wan’t to hold my breath.

Are there any cultural, cool historic small city/towns that have garish sexshops on the high street? I don't know of any..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Are there any cultural, cool historic small city/towns that have garish sexshops on the high street? I don't know of any..

In the city I'm from that's very common! And there they're at ground level, not upstairs.

However I'm from Amsterdam ;) Probably doesn't count.

• Advertisement

Meh ..IMO the main street in a place as small as Galway the choice of shops, their content and the outer appearance should meet a particular criterion. That would require planning and strategy from the council though so...pffft wouldn't wan’t to hold my breath.

I was walking around town on Friday and I didn't see it at all, so it's obviously not that garish, really.

softmee - until you see the building itself, then I don't think you can comment on whether it looks disgusting or not.

I was walking around town on Friday and I didn't see it at all, so it's obviously not that garish, really.

softmee - until you see the building itself, then I don't think you can comment on whether it looks disgusting or not.

People have different tastes, backgrounds and different perceptiveness. Before i even saw this thread my friend who is and artist and knows a lot about architecture told me about it and he has simmilar taste to mine, so I trusted him. Anyway it doesnt matter know, because I've seen it myself and I do think its disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

seen this shop today for the first time (i work locally)

just to clear something up, the shop is located on william street not shop street,

shop street begins at aib bank and continues untill claddagh jewelers on the right and the taffes pub on the left.

if already posted up forgive me,i tried reading all the thread but couldnt :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

there's plenty of snobbery on this thread for sure

jesus if your offended by a sex shop on the street close your eyes when your passing it
    its just a shop , it sells products like sexy underwear (as sold in any dunnes or penny's), like condoms ( as sold in any chemist of supermarket), DVD's and mag's

i don't see what the fuss is about really (no wonder irish people get such a slagging over been in the dark ages with regards to being sexually liberated)

It has nothing to do with beeing sexually liberated or not.. its about public space aestethic qualities.

It has nothing to do with beeing sexually liberated or not.. its about public space aestethic qualities.

Most of the people who have posted in this thread were unaware of the existence of any sex shop on the street, so if anything, it hasn't affected the public space aesthetic qualities whatsoever.

So, yes, it is about being sexually liberated or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

River Island, McDonald's, Boots, Meteor, souvenir shops, Hilfiger ... we have to preserve this unique jewel of Galway which is unrivaled in Ireland :P

Well, maybe if so many people doesnt see any problem it just suits local society taste and thats why you like it. :rolleyes: I can only tell you from my point of view and lived in Poland (many many beautiful historical towns), Germany, France, Sweden and I have never seen anything like it in center. Galway is beautiful town and I am only angry because I see how easily it can be spoiled by ugly things like this.

(and I am more like a tourist here)

If not many locals knew it was there, then how many tourists do you think will notice it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gold Leaf Tea

Isn't sex pretty much everywhere anyway? What difference does another sex shop make? It's probably one of the few things people are have more of in this downturn, if the baby boom is anything to go by!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement