Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult shop on shop street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

schween wrote: »
    River Island, McDonald's, Boots, Meteor, souvenir shops, Hilfiger ... we have to preserve this unique jewel of Galway which is unrivaled in Ireland :P

Adding to this parade of common uninteresting shops with as many multinational chain stores as possible, doing away with any independent or historic buildings on shop street and replacing them with something “ liberal” (eg stripper joints and sex shops).... Would be the best possible direction Galway should take. Yup people you have opened my mind!

Why would anyone want to render character and integrity where there are sooo many potential opportunities to become like every other crappy soulless city/town.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

17 pages in & this is seriously funny - in an apathetic way. What's with the glorification of Shop St? There's not much else on it... & where were ye all when the sex shop opened beside the church (Augi)? Could still be there for all I know. Apparently Ireland is going to have a 46% increase population by 2060 so give the sex shops a break! We're not going to do that singlehandedly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

If not many locals knew it was there, then how many tourists do you think will notice it?

Many, because they look around, they have time, they are not rushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

trish23 wrote: »
    Apparently Ireland is going to have a 46% increase population by 2060 so give the sex shops a break! We're not going to do that singlehandedly....

Singlehandedness ftw!

softmee wrote: »
    Many, because they look around, they have time, they are not rushing.

OK so, next time you are in town ask any tourists you see walking from Brown Thomas down Shop Street whether or not they noticed the sex shop. I mean if you're so adamant that it is in their faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Well, maybe if so many people doesnt see any problem it just suits local society taste and thats why you like it. :rolleyes: I can only tell you from my point of view and lived in Poland (many many beautiful historical towns), Germany, France, Sweden and I have never seen anything like it in center. Galway is beautiful town and I am only angry because I see how easily it can be spoiled by ugly things like this.

(and I am more like a tourist here)

You had to resort to the look at me I lived abroad, therefore I know better attitude, as if nobody else has lived abroad :rolleyes: I don't know what parts of Germany/France you were in that you didn't see sex shops in busy central shopping areas.
    pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Adding to this parade of common uninteresting shops with as many multinational chain stores as possible, doing away with any independent or historic buildings on shop street and replacing them with something “ liberal” (eg stripper joints and sex shops).... Would be the best possible direction Galway should take. Yup people you have opened my mind!

Why would anyone want to render character and integrity where there are sooo many potential opportunities to become like every other crappy soulless city/town.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2 roll eyes, are you having a seizure? So tell me, do you think the likes of Anthony Ryan's and Brennan's shoes add to the parade of interesting shops?

Who said anything about "doing away with independent and historical buildings". What does that even mean? You know that the council is there to oversee the preservation of historical buildings? Or are you saying Galway should have some shops from the 19th century on Shop Street?

schween wrote: »

2 roll eyes, are you having a seizure? So tell me, do you think the likes of Anthony Ryan's and Brennan's shoes add to the parade of interesting shops?

Who said anything about "doing away with independent and historical buildings". What does that even mean? You know that the council is there to oversee the preservation of historical buildings? Or are you saying Galway should have some shops from the 19th century on Shop Street?

Firstly "schween", The double roll eyes were an attempt to convey the tone of sarcasm in which the post was meant.. just in case it escaped some people...! I haven’t had a fit in some time thank you very much :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::P:p:p

To answer all your questions' only makes for reiteration and/or straying off topic. If you go back and read my previous posts you may get the point I have been attempting to make.

In brief I reckon that the aesthetic and integrity of Shop Street ought to be maintained. Yup, I think buildings like Ryan’s ,Powell’s, Lynches Castle, Mc Cambridge’s, Caravans Treasure chest and such are what make Shop Street an inviting unique place. If these become beset by tacky tawdry “liberal” shops aiming for a very particular market (so particular it will exclude and even put a fraction of people off!) it will detract from the attractive cultural image the city beholds.

If you think people will visit Galway to buy adult merchandise and enjoy the peripheral vision of brash buildings that is of course your prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Firstly "schween", The double roll eyes were an attempt to convey the tone of sarcasm in which the post was meant.. just in case it escaped some people...! I haven’t had a fit in some time thank you very much :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::P:p:p

To answer all your questions' only makes for reiteration and/or straying off topic. If you go back and read my previous posts you may get the point I have been attempting to make.

In brief I reckon that the aesthetic and integrity of Shop Street ought to be maintained. Yup, I think buildings like Ryan’s ,Powell’s, Lynches Castle, Mc Cambridge’s, Caravans Treasure chest and such are what make Shop Street an inviting unique place. If these become beset by tacky tawdry “liberal” shops aiming for a very particular market (so particular it will exclude and even put a fraction of people off!) it will detract from the attractive cultural image the city beholds.

If you think people will visit Galway to buy adult merchandise and enjoy the peripheral vision of brash buildings that is of course your prerogative.

:pac: is the sarcasm symbol on boards :)

shop isnt on shop street. Its on William st. Its not actually on any street, its in an upstairs location, off line of sight, and AFAIK advertises nothing special in the window. Nurse costumes and hen party gags can be bought in any old joke shop or euro store.

Its not going to put anyone off visiting the city, you know thats a ridiculous assumption. tacky tawdry liberal shops will only open if they can afford to, and will only stay open if they get enough business to keep going. rents are high in shop st, for them to stay open they'd have to be popular. I wouldnt sweat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Does anyone honestly believe that this thread was about aesthetics or taste when it was started? Would the OP really have been horrified by the shop if it was a bright pink shop selling bunny rabbits? Would he have been worried about the little childrens' or the tourists' reaction to the bright pink bunny shop?

Everyone is having sex, including foreigners, Irish tourists, and people of the utmost good taste! Get over it. Noone is going to be turned away from Galway because of what is effectively, a joke shop, selling gadgets and costumes which are often used for Stag Parties or hen parties.

Now, if you want to talk aesthetics...

What about the mobile phone shops? They're the ugliest feckin things ever and they're everywhere. What about the cheap tacky "souvenir" shops?

By the way, thanks barone for clearing up which street is which. If those people of impeccable taste (and oh so mature sexual attitudes) are going to dictate to the rest of us what should go where, they might at least learn the correct names of the particular streets :rolleyes:

Willamsgate Street - from Eyre Square to the top of William Street (where Brown Thomas is).

William Street - from BT to junction which Lynch's Castle stands on.

Shop Street - from above to junction with High Street and Mainguard Street.

Anyway, this debate has been going on since at least the early 1980s. I remember the city traders being up in arms when the Corporation (as it was at the time), was to introduce guidelines about shopfront signage sometime between 1980 and 1985. It's not likely to be resolved within the next 30 years either!

Now, this weekend I'm off down Shop Street to see if I can get any colour inspiration for my little daughter's pink room and while I'm at it I might buy my wife some "household applicances" for her pleasure and delictation :D

zuroph wrote: »
    :pac: is the sarcasm symbol on boards :)

shop isnt on shop street. Its on William st. Its not actually on any street, its in an upstairs location, off line of sight, and AFAIK advertises nothing special in the window. Nurse costumes and hen party gags can be bought in any old joke shop or euro store.

Its not going to put anyone off visiting the city, you know thats a ridiculous assumption. tacky tawdry liberal shops will only open if they can afford to, and will only stay open if they get enough business to keep going. rents are high in shop st, for them to stay open they'd have to be popular. I wouldnt sweat it.

If there are enough gammy looking shops selling tacky wears well than I am not sure that it wont put anyone off visiting the city.... eventually.

Unless there is another income or some dispensation can't imagine selling tack would be enough to cover rent, rates, overheads, upkeep.
    I am not down on anyone starting a new business- generally the opposite, I just think the look and prestige of the city streets should be maintained. In a good way!!

Thanks for :pac: that!

• Advertisement

If there are enough gammy looking shops selling tacky wears well than I am not sure that it wont put anyone off visiting the city.... eventually.

Unless there is another income or some dispensation can't imagine selling tack would be enough to cover rent, rates, overheads, upkeep.

I am not down on anyone starting a new business- generally the opposite, I just think the look and prestige of the city streets should be maintained. In a good way!!

Thanks for :pac: that!

exactly, so the tack shops wont last then in your opinion, as there would be not enough income for them, so many will run the sums beforehand and realise its not viable, and those that are foolish to try will close again when they make a loss, and a more viable shop will open in their place. so, no problem then....

off line of sight

:pac: You have to be seriously blind to say this -this pink is just in your face!

churchview wrote: »
    Does anyone honestly believe that this thread was about aesthetics or taste when it was started? Would the OP really have been horrified by the shop if it was a bright pink shop selling bunny rabbits? Would he have been worried about the little childrens' or the tourists' reaction to the bright pink bunny shop?

Everyone is having sex, including foreigners, Irish tourists, and people of the utmost good taste! Get over it. Noone is going to be turned away from Galway because of what is effectively, a joke shop, selling gadgets and costumes which are often used for Stag Parties or hen parties.

Now, if you want to talk aesthetics...

What about the mobile phone shops? They're the ugliest feckin things ever and they're everywhere. What about the cheap tacky "souvenir" shops?

By the way, thanks barone for clearing up which street is which. If those people of impeccable taste (and oh so mature sexual attitudes) are going to dictate to the rest of us what should go where, they might at least learn the correct names of the particular streets :rolleyes:

Willamsgate Street - from Eyre Square to the top of William Street (where Brown Thomas is).

William Street - from BT to junction which Lynch's Castle stands on.

Shop Street - from above to junction with High Street and Mainguard Street.

Anyway, this debate has been going on since at least the early 1980s. I remember the city traders being up in arms when the Corporation (as it was at the time), was to introduce guidelines about shopfront signage sometime between 1980 and 1985. It's not likely to be resolved within the next 30 years either!

Now, this weekend I'm off down Shop Street to see if I can get any colour inspiration for my little daughter's pink room and while I'm at it I might buy my wife some "household applicances" for her pleasure and delictation :D

Make sure you go up to Williams Street then.

IMO it is as much about the aesthetics as it is about the content. Fair dues to anyone who has the balls..wherever the got them... to say they have reservations about having sex paraphernalia so focal. Geez just because we are all so sexual open liberated and comfortable about it doesn’t’ mean it is right for Galway city!
    Its not all about the cool open minded people there are still a lot of sexually repressed people that come (or don't) to Galway.

Well spotted - my bad, although Shop Street has some interesting shades on pink on offer as well! :D
    Its not all about the cool open minded people there are still a lot of sexually repressed people that come (or don't) to Galway.

I agree. Good design should take account of the sexually repressed as well. We must do our utmost to welcome the sexually repressed of the world to Galway.

:pac: You have to be seriously blind to say this -this pink is just in your face!

Its so visible that you were able to comment on it before you'd even seen it.

IMO it is as much about the aesthetics as it is about the content. Fair dues to anyone who has the balls..wherever the got them... to say they have reservations about having sex paraphernalia so focal. Geez just because we are all so sexual open liberated and comfortable about it doesn’t’ mean it is right for Galway city!

The colour pink offends the sexually repressed?

exactly, so the tack shops wont last then in your opinion, as there would be not enough income for them, so many will run the sums beforehand and realise its not viable, and those that are foolish to try will close again when they make a loss, and a more viable shop will open in their place. so, no problem then....

Well I could pursue my argument and discuss how a large number of such shops will open and with it a wealth of underground black market merchandise and crime. But that would probably be best left for the conspiracy forum....

Guess just give up and feel sad that most people refuse to accept I am right...:pac:

Its so visible that you were able to comment on it before you'd even seen it.

You are right actually, it is visible and ugly enought that people were talking about it and thats how I knew. :pac:

The colour pink offends the sexually repressed?
    The pinkness and the sexual thing are two diffirent points as I think you probably know.. but maybe I haven't explained my arguement correctly would you like another summary.
    Perhaps on to something there though that pink offends closet homosexuals or trannys...
    IMO neon pink is just tacky and not a good look!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well I could pursue my argument and discuss how a large number of such shops will open and with it a wealth of underground black market merchandise and crime. But that would probably be best left for the conspiracy forum....

Guess just give up and feel sad that most people refuse to accept I am right...:pac:
    Ah dont be sad, just accept you are wrong ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The pinkness and the sexual thing are two diffirent points as I think you probably know.. but maybe I haven't explained my arguement correctly would you like another summary.
    Perhaps on to something there though that pink offends closet homosexuals or trannys...
    Interesting that nobody started a thread on the pink hairdressers building on the right hand side of Prospect Hill just after the turn down Bothar Breandan Ui Eithir.

churchview wrote: »
    Well spotted - my bad, although Shop Street has some interesting shades on pink on offer as well! :D

I agree. Good design should take account of the sexually repressed as well. We must do our utmost to welcome the sexually repressed of the world to Galway.

...and exclude such a percentage of surrounding communities??? :eek:

Just as well to leave it out alright, because to suggest that they would be the root of black market operations is ludicrous. I sincerely doubt any criminal gang is thinking "how do we stay low key? I KNOW, lets open a shop on the main street and paint it neon pink!!!" Dangerous leap of logic you almost went for there...

yes, but how would they know it was a sex shop? As far as Im aware it doesnt mention sex on the outside anywhere?

...and exclude such a percentage of surrounding communities??? :eek:

What?

My conclusion to this is : people with good taste and some idea whats right and whats wrong are minority everywhere. :pac: Sad bad true. Crowd likes tacky and pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Sex shops and colours aside for a minute - is Extrovert still open on Shop Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Newbie_2009

Well they have certainly succeeded in getting a plenty of free publicity on here now they wont even need to do one of those double page spreads in the local papers that new businesses or struggling business do after 1yr or 5yrs.

Maybe everyone is under estimating the demand from Galwegians for such devious devices

My conclusion to this is : people with good taste and some idea whats right and whats wrong are minority everywhere. :pac: Sad bad true. Crowd likes tacky and pink!

you know, there is a third option... apathy. I Really really dont care about a building being pink. Dont like it, dont hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

In fairness I was only thinking out loud about a new business. How ever if I was to start one, I would have respect for the city of Galway with my choice and location of business.

And thats why your business would FAIL. Any new business looking to succeed needs to be near a main shopping area, not stuck up some grotty back alley.

I don't get why people think this will effect tourism to Galway city. People need to move with the times. Most other countries don't have an issue with sex. It only seems to be here that people are embarrassed to talk about it. When I was in Prague, on one of the main tourist streets there was a sex museum and the place was packed.

• Advertisement

Ah dont be sad, just accept you are wrong ;)

I dont think it is a right/ wrong situation only that the opinions of others are misplaced.

Maybe everyone is under estimating the demand from Galwegians for such devious devices

Maybe all the other sex shops have sold out... or maybe there is a better more discret selection on tinternet....
    And thats why your business would FAIL. Any new business looking to succeed needs to be near a main shopping area, not stuck up some grotty back alley.

I don't get why people think this will effect tourism to Galway city. People need to move with the times. Most other countries don't have an issue with sex. It only seems to be here that people are embarrassed to talk about it. When I was in Prague, on one of the main tourist streets there was a sex museum and the place was packed.

From a business perspective having an (alleged) sex shop on Shop Street is IMO is a bit misplaced. I can't imagine anyone (local) that would go to such a prime location for such clandestine products. But fair play to anyone that can afford to run a business on shop street. I think a less conspicuous location would not only have lower rents but also more customers.

As for Prague an nteresting city full of Juxtapositions but Galway is not IMO comparable to Prague.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement