Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is safer from burglary? A house, studio, flat or Apartment?

Options
  • 05-06-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I am currently looking to move to a studio, flat or apartment in order my mother can spend more time with me? Probably in the city center or north side. However my budget will be within rent allowance as i am unemployed. I am concerned about safety. The houses i have lived in seem pretty safe from burglary because i guess someone is always in the house and generally it is only moderate renters. If i move to a studio, apartment or flat would this change. Would i be at a higher risk of Burglary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

That depends on where in the city you will be, and how safe the studio/ flat etc is- ie locks (quality, type, number), alarm, sturdy door, locked courtyard, blinds so people can't see in and see your expensive laptop or whatever. Generally, places with a good community spirit are safer as people look out for eachother; flats on the third floor and higher are safer as it is difficult for the burglar to climb in.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

An upper-floor apartment is safer than a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

An upper-floor apartment is safer than a house.

that's what most people seem to think just from their perception but I once read a burglary survey report and was surprised myself: upper floor apartments are the situations with the most succesful burglaries.
    reasons were:
    - no one can observe from outside/street
    - it's possible to get into an apartment building without anybody seeing/identifying the person
    - the upper floor is the less frequented so less chance of being disturbed while getting in

to your question OP, I think it's not generelisable. it always depends on the situation . an apartment can be more secure than a house and so the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

How about an upper floor own door duplex? Ours is first and second floor and it gives the security of not being ground floor added to a personal entrance (no communal front door). I feel safer here than I have in any other unit types I've lived in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

tara73 wrote: »
    that's what most people seem to think just from their perception but I once read a burglary survey report and was surprised myself: upper floor apartments are the situations with the most succesful burglaries.
    reasons were:
    - no one can observe from outside/street
    - it's possible to get into an apartment building without anybody seeing/identifying the person
    - the upper floor is the less frequented so less chance of being disturbed while getting in

to your question OP, I think it's not generelisable. it always depends on the situation . an apartment can be more secure than a house and so the other way around.

This is not true. An upper-floor apartment is statistically less at risk than a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I think ground floor apartments are at higher risk for burglary. I'm talking about the type that have windows at eye level from the street. Having said that many landlords (and local authorities) have them and may be more flexible on the price because of this. Also if the apartment is in an apartment complex, rather than accessible or visible from the street, there's less risk.

Not wanting to go off-topic but, if you're unemployed and your mother will be living with you, I'd say you'd be at very low risk of burglary at all. Its unoccupied dwellings of all types that are most at risk. The good news being you could maybe consider a ground floor apartment, in a modern apartment complex, that others who live alone and are out all day, would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

This is not true. An upper-floor apartment is statistically less at risk than a house.

was looking for the article on the internet, unfortunately it's not traceable. I read it in a hardcopy newspaper a few years ago, it was based on data from garda.

anyway, if you're sure that it's untrue, do you have a source for your statistic, it would convince then over mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

Upper floor apartments may be safer from burglaries , but they are more at risk of fires from the occupants below.

Advertisement