Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArcGIS

• 05-06-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I am starting a job in which I will have to use GIS and as such I am looking for a good reference text to get me started. I found the "for Dummies" books good for excel and autocad and was thinking I would go with them however am open to any suggestions?

I will also use online tutorials but find books easier to use for some reason.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

GIS and ESRI products are a pretty broad church. Will you be working in Development, DB work, or utilizing the desktop tools to manage some business process? Will there be training with the job? Do you have a background in the area?

http://resources.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This thread and YoureATowel are probably the best help you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭YoureATowel

parko202 wrote: »
    I am starting a job in which I will have to use GIS and as such I am looking for a good reference text to get me started. I found the "for Dummies" books good for excel and autocad and was thinking I would go with them however am open to any suggestions?

Thanks
    If you have ArcGIS installed at work then you should have access to the vast library of references and tutorials that ship with the software. These come in pdf format and are located in a folder entitled ArcGIS/Documentation. These are highly recommended, they are free and their content is more than enough for any user.

A good, if basic, introductory textbook is Getting to know ArcGIS by Tim Ormsby. Not only does this come with a trial version of the desktop software, it also comes with all the documentation mentioned above. If you want insist on hard-copy books then its best to stick with publications like this and the GIS Tutorial series, all from ESRI Press.

My advice would be to stick with the pdf documents and avoid titles like "GIS for Dummies", unless you want only a very basic introduction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

parko202 wrote: »

Thanks

I would start here if I were you. Log onto the ESRI website and register yourself. It's free to register and there's quite a lot of info on ArcGIS in there.

Advertisement