Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

statina wrote: »
    Also, bring over lots of socks and underwear! they are crazy prices over here, really missing penneys!:p

Oh gawd, is there no Pennys (or equivalent) ??? :eek:

Anything else I should stock up on before the big move ...though I hope I'm not jinxing myself as it's still only 95% definate!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

Great thread - and while I'm not particularly interested in hearing in where you can buy underpants and get your nails done, I would love to hear how you guys get on in the search for finding accom! And any other feedback you can give on the city in general.

Myself and the other half (seems like there's a lot of couples going to Melbourne!) are moving over on the 1st Sept. We are both mid twenties and professional'ish types so think we'll be avoiding the backpacker scene....although in saying that we're not averse to a bit of fun and a night out.

Like the OP would like somewhere along the lines of Ranelagh to live.....that's reasonable close to the city, close to parks or nice outdoor areas, okay transport links to the city and has a few restaurants, bars and cafe's. Anywhere fit that bill? Also, not sure if we'd be looking to rent our own apartment (which seems like it can be tricky enough to do) or try and house share - anybody got any experience in either?

Would be good to get some Boards beers going when we're over there - and hopefully come October/November we can be sitting outside in the sun having them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Cupcake. wrote: »
    Finally made it to Melbourne :D- apart from jetlag I'm loving it already - great buzzy city!

Just a couple of quick questions -

1. Any reccomendations on where to buy good reasonably priced laptops?
    2. Any reccomendations on a good hairdresser?
    3. Any reccomendations on a good reasonably priced nail bar?

My main priority is finding somewhere to live but once that minor detail is sorted would love to find the above!

Ammo123 - thanks for the tip! Hope your house hunting is coming along nicely.

Thanks

Hey Cupcake, congrats on making it over! What's the weather like? I'm leaving the sunday after next :-) Will be sitting on a beach in Thailand for a week before I arrive, so I'm expecting it to be cold.. is it jacket weather, or full big coat weather? Much rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'm applying for my WHV this evening woooo hoooo!
    So excited!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Nowhere near ready to book my flights yet though and too busy working loads of overtime to be able to browse Melbourne properly.
    Therefore Cupcake I am totally relying on you :D:D:D

I applied for my visa and it was approved within 15 mins!!!!!!!! excited doesn't even begin to cover it!!!
    The countdown is on. Aiming to be over in Melbourne in early October :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Mr Mister wrote: »
    Like the OP would like somewhere along the lines of Ranelagh to live.....that's reasonable close to the city, close to parks or nice outdoor areas, okay transport links to the city and has a few restaurants, bars and cafe's. Anywhere fit that bill? Also, not sure if we'd be looking to rent our own apartment (which seems like it can be tricky enough to do) or try and house share - anybody got any experience in either?

Well there actually a few areas imo that would fit that bill...fitzroy, carlton, southbank, south yarra, richmond, kinda depends what side of the city you want to be on, but all those areas are pretty nice...might be best to base it on where you get work..

But anyway thought these websites might be helpful for people on the house hunt, now or soon:

www.domain.com.au
    http://www.easyroommate.com/
    http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/share

and this one...I think: http://www.flatmatefinders.com.au/login and gumtree of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

sudzs wrote: »
    Oh gawd, is there no Pennys (or equivalent) ??? :eek:

Anything else I should stock up on before the big move ...though I hope I'm not jinxing myself as it's still only 95% definate!

I would say target is the closest thing to Pennys, more department store than pennys but lots of cheap crap too!!

http://www.target.com.au/html/homepage/home_fw.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

ammo123 wrote: »
    Well there actually a few areas imo that would fit that bill...fitzroy, carlton, southbank, south yarra, richmond, kinda depends what side of the city you want to be on, but all those areas are pretty nice...might be best to base it on where you get work..

But anyway thought these websites might be helpful for people on the house hunt, now or soon:

www.domain.com.au
    http://www.easyroommate.com/
    http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/share

and this one...I think: http://www.flatmatefinders.com.au/login and gumtree of course.

I would recommend the bit of South Yarra between Fawkner Park & the Botanical Gardens (toorak & Domain Rd's)
    The 8 tram runs down Toorak Rd & Park St straight into town

It's not cheap but it's very handy for town & parks & close enough to walk to Chapel St for bars/restaurants/cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I find target dear. Kmart or bigw would be cheaper i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

Thanks Endabob and Ammo.

Just by looking at the map all those places look like ideal locations so I suppose it is a case of maybe having a look to see what fits in with our budget.

Just on arriving in Melbourne for the first few weeks - did most of you stay in hostels or did anyone try getting a short term lease on an apartment?? (I know they are probably more expensive but I dont fancy a hostel for 3-4 weeks while looking for jobs and permanent accom).

How do people find the cost of living over there compared to home? Heard it is similarly high but the wages can be quite good.

All info is much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Thanks Endabob and Ammo.

Just by looking at the map all those places look like ideal locations so I suppose it is a case of maybe having a look to see what fits in with our budget.

Just on arriving in Melbourne for the first few weeks - did most of you stay in hostels or did anyone try getting a short term lease on an apartment?? (I know they are probably more expensive but I dont fancy a hostel for 3-4 weeks while looking for jobs and permanent accom).

How do people find the cost of living over there compared to home? Heard it is similarly high but the wages can be quite good.

I'm planning on a hostel for the first week or two until I get a house/apartment sorted. Looking at a house share as it seems to be cheaper. Looking into hostels the Space Hotel seems to be nice!!

I'm planning on a hostel for the first week or two until I get a house/apartment sorted. Looking at a house share as it seems to be cheaper. Looking into hostels the Space Hotel seems to be nice!!
    Know two people staying in space. Haven't been in it myself but its just around the corner from me. Looks nice from what I've seen walking past and heard no complaints . Great location. Two minutes to Melbourne central station and shopping centre. Also the state library has free wi fi so can bring your laptop in there all day to help with job hunting etc. May have to wait a few minutes for a seat with power point though. They also have computers but limited to fifteen minutes on them.

Slunk wrote: »
    Know two people staying in space. Haven't been in it myself but its just around the corner from me. Looks nice from what I've seen walking past and heard no complaints . Great location. Two minutes to Melbourne central station and shopping centre. Also the state library has free wi fi so can bring your laptop in there all day to help with job hunting etc. May have to wait a few minutes for a seat with power point though. They also have computers but limited to fifteen minutes on them.

You can log on for an hour at a time, and usually more on the computers upstairs.
    I find target dear. Kmart or bigw would be cheaper i think.

I agree, I've only gone into Targer once but it seemed really dear to me...wish is why I didn't go again.

Thanks Endabob and Ammo.

Ya I find once you do the conversion to euro (as it does sound more expensive in AUD) that the cost of living is very similar to Dublin, for eating out, supermarket and everyday costs.

A few things that are definitely more expenisive though are: luxury items (e.g. makeup, perfumes ect which are imported-large tax levi on them); rent (if you persevere you may find cheap places but in general seems to be more expensive); convenience stores (there seems to be a much larger difference between their prices and supermarkets than I would've found in Ireland).

But yes your right you do get paid more over here so it kind of balances out.

As for hostels, I've been staying in one (while working) for the last four weeks now and it's honestly not as bad as I would've anticipated, you get used to it quite quickly. And in my dorm for example everyone else is working too so it is very quiet and respectful.

Also hostels can be a nice way of seeing whether you'd like to live in different areas of the city. I moved once to get a feel for a different area and intended to move again-but then just go to lazy!

ammo123 wrote: »
    You can log on for an hour at a time, and usually more on the computers upstairs.

Ahh, I only ever use the ones as you walk in off swanston street. They log you off after 18 minutes. Im here now on my laptop looking up the tax refund thread :D. Wasnt aware there were more computers upstairs. Thanks

Edit: Ahh maybe the ones on the other side were you have to book are one hour is it? If you just walk in off the street its 18 minutes

Ahh, I only ever use the ones as you walk in off swanston street. They log you off after 18 minutes. Im here now on my laptop looking up the tax refund thread :D. Wasnt aware there were more computers upstairs. Thanks

Edit: Ahh maybe the ones on the other side were you have to book are one hour is it? If you just walk in off the street its 18 minutes

no you don't need to book, just log in on the computer at the front of the room upstairs and it tells you which computer is next available, max you'd ever wait is 5-10 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Hello :)

A week in Melbourne today - weather is unseasonably good! Sun is shinning today. Great for walking around and getting to know the place!

Finding accomodation has been tougher than expected. Have looked at 8 or so apartments so far and have spent time walking through the various areas. As OP's mentioned - there are lots of fabulous areas to choose from. I'm keen on southbank and south yarra, but other areas like Richmond and Carlton seem nice too - all of them have plenty of cafes/restuarants.

My advice would be to do research before you get here but then it's a case of being lucky and finding the right 'one' available! There seems to be a bit of red tape with the real estate agents so have soft copy of passport, drivers license and maybe bank statements.

I haven't started the job search yet but am going for interviews next week. Will see how that goes!

On the cost of living - I was here a few years ago and thought everything was cheap as chips!! Now things have changed - mostly due to the weakening of the euro and strenghtening of the ozzie dollar. It's a little unfortunate but once we're earning in aussie dollars it should be fine :).

Hello :)

A week in Melbourne today - weather is unseasonably good! Sun is shinning today. Great for walking around and getting to know the place!

Finding accomodation has been tougher than expected. Have looked at 8 or so apartments so far and have spent time walking through the various areas. As OP's mentioned - there are lots of fabulous areas to choose from. I'm keen on southbank and south yarra, but other areas like Richmond and Carlton seem nice too - all of them have plenty of cafes/restuarants.

My advice would be to do research before you get here but then it's a case of being lucky and finding the right 'one' available! There seems to be a bit of red tape with the real estate agents so have soft copy of passport, drivers license and maybe bank statements.

I haven't started the job search yet but am going for interviews next week. Will see how that goes!

On the cost of living - I was here a few years ago and thought everything was cheap as chips!! Now things have changed - mostly due to the weakening of the euro and strenghtening of the ozzie dollar. It's a little unfortunate but once we're earning in aussie dollars it should be fine :).

Great to hear it's all going well - I reckon I'll be putting you on my speed dial list when I get there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi Cupcake.

Gr8 to hear all is goin well in Melbourne!
    Myself and my boyf are arriving in Melbourne on August 24th.I wanted to book a weeks stay in a hostel for when we first arrive.Im hoping we will find an apartment then and move straight in on week 2 if possible.If we wind up staying longer in the hostel then so be it.
    Just wondering, are you stayin in a hostel at the minute? If so would you recommend it? I am overwhelmed when looking online so it would be gr8 to hear from someone who is already there.

MunsterGal, i reckon i will be the same as you having Cupcake on speed dial :D:D

Hi Cupcake.

Gr8 to hear all is goin well in Melbourne!
    Myself and my boyf are arriving in Melbourne on August 24th.I wanted to book a weeks stay in a hostel for when we first arrive.Im hoping we will find an apartment then and move straight in on week 2 if possible.If we wind up staying longer in the hostel then so be it.
    Just wondering, are you stayin in a hostel at the minute? If so would you recommend it? I am overwhelmed when looking online so it would be gr8 to hear from someone who is already there.

MunsterGal, i reckon i will be the same as you having Cupcake on speed dial :D:D

We'll defo have to organise a Boards night out once we're all over there!

• Advertisement

We got the call to say we had our apartment - delighted!!:):)

Lucylocket82 - we stayed in St. Kilda - lovely fun area wth nice bars BUT all our apartment hunting was in the city or other suburbs so although it was a nice hostel I'd defo reccomend staying in the city centre ...much handier for searching! I think another poster reccomended a hostel called space in the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Munstergal i wud certainly be up for boards drinks at some stage :D

Thanks for that Cupcake.Yea i have heard Space being mentioned a couple of times.I will do a bit of research on there so.
    Delighted that you got ur apartment sorted.Must be a gr8 relief!

Not sure if you would know but when renting an apartment do you need to sign a contract for a minimum period of stay?6 months for example.
    One thing that worries me is what if myself & my boyf move into an apartment after a couple of wks but den struggle to find work in that city & decide to go to somewhere else in Oz.Im not sure how that would work.
    Maybe it would be best to start working before finding an apartment.But then again i dont fancy staying in a hostel for too long.

Anyway, once again i appreciate any advise anyone may have ;)

Hi Lucy :)

I'm sure others have better advise - I'm just a newbie to oz but here's my two cents... There seemed to be a good few adverts on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au for places that if you signed a 6 month lease it would be $xxx per week and if you signed a 2-5month lease it would be $xxx plus $25 per week.

Alternatively i've met a few people who found places to rent short term on gumtree.com.au. For instance if the tenant was going on extended holiday for 6 weeks.

Ooh also i went for unfurnished and there's a lot to buy even to have basics so if you're here short term i'd reccomend paying a bit extra for furniture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Welcome Cupcake to Oz n Melbourne

Been here for a while myself having moved here on a full time bases. I’ve had it a bit easier than most seeing my wife is from Melbourne and so I have all relatives here.

I'm sure you've got a taste of our mad weather here already. Was grand the last while up to Today. Bloody windy n wild last night n today. But you’ll get that here in Melb great one day bloody wild the next. Why they say you can have 4 seasons on one day here.

As for the whole work thing. Well I work in IT and I’ve been using agencies which tell you a lot but some times don’t seem to produce for you.

It’s been slow the last few weeks but I think that’s because of the end of finical year and companies not wanting to hire until they know their budgets.

I had an interview a while ago and the company didn’t have the manners to even get back to me. I had to push the agency to even tell me that I didn’t get the job. The old “You’re too experienced” excuse when what they mean is they got someone at a lower wage to fill the position.

The AGE has the job supplement on a Saturday always a good place to check for jobs. If I was you I’d be looking for contract positions. Best chance of getting one of them more than a permanent one.

Anyway enjoy

Ozeire - thanks a mill for the advice! I'll get myself a copy of The AGE over the weekend and I'm meeting about 8 recruiters next week so hopefully it will all come together!! Haha I don't mind the 4 seasons - it's worth it to live in a fab city like this and from living in Ireland we have plenty of practice of bringing an umbrella everywhere we go...roll on summer tho!!

On the wifi point - I got set up with mobile broadband but before that i was using Hudsons Coffee for free wifi - nice coffee and they don't seem to mind you hanging out for a couple of hours!

On the wifi point - I got set up with mobile broadband but before that i was using Hudsons Coffee for free wifi - nice coffee and they don't seem to mind you hanging out for a couple of hours!

Oh which mobile broadband did you go with, I had a look at them a while ago to see which would be the best deal but my head started to hurt!

My housemate is on optus I think...I know it's lazy but what one do people think is best?

And where's Hudsons?

Hey ammo123 - There's a few Hudsons around http://www.hudsonscoffee.com.au/index.php?sectionID=9692&pageID=10130 I went with Bourke Street.:)

It is a bit of a minefield. The Harvey Norman guy was trying to push broadband by Blink. Harvey have a few different companies so if you want a comparison its there for you: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/page/1256969968019/computing-accessories-mobile-broadband

I went with Vodafone and purchased through the Vodafone shop in the end - there's two of us so I bought a little device that lets up to 5 people use it at the same time. I'm just paying month to month so if it's not working out I can change.

Thanks! :D

Might force myself off my ass and just go in to Harvey Norman then, all the download limit stuff makes my head spin, I know there are limits in Ireland as well I just always got the impression that you would never reach them, seems stricter here.

Cupcake - how did you go about sorting somewhere to live?
    Did you go with furnished or unfurnished?

I've finally put a date on my move - booking the flights at the end of this month and flying out to Melbourne on the 10th September - the girl I'm travelling with has a sponsored job lined up for when we get there so we wanna get a house/apartment sorted pretty quickly and then I need to start looking for work myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What area is this job your friend has lined up?

Advertisement