Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Zambia wrote: »
    What area is this job your friend has lined up?

Recruitment - lucky thing has 2 more years experience than me so she's able to get sponsorship - I just fell short :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Cupcake - how did you go about sorting somewhere to live?
    Did you go with furnished or unfurnished?

I've finally put a date on my move - booking the flights at the end of this month and flying out to Melbourne on the 10th September - the girl I'm travelling with has a sponsored job lined up for when we get there so we wanna get a house/apartment sorted pretty quickly and then I need to start looking for work myself

So will you land on September 11th? 10th anniversary...:eek::eek:

Brave woman!!!:D

rightyabe wrote: »
    So will you land on September 11th? 10th anniversary...:eek::eek:

Brave woman!!!:D

Nope - I land the 12th :D But thanks for pointing that out.....it hadn't even dawned on me ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Hey,

Today is the day I fly out, stopping off in Thailand for a week before landing in Melbourne :D

Currently finishing off my packing, whats the weather like there in Melbourne right now? do I need a big coat? or would hoodies and things do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its ducking freezing no bull!

• Advertisement

Boooooooo!!!!
    Whats the weather generally like in September? I'm trying to plan what to take with me

lima wrote: »
    Hey,

Today is the day I fly out, stopping off in Thailand for a week before landing in Melbourne :D

Currently finishing off my packing, whats the weather like there in Melbourne right now? do I need a big coat? or would hoodies and things do?

I'm so jealous! I hope the next 10 weeks go nice and quick :)

Not as freezing but still chilly

Not as freezing but still chilly

Zambia - you're wrecking my Sunday :P
    Wen can I expect the nice hot sunny weather?

November onwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Hi All,

Can any of you advise me on what the work situation is like there for Quantity Surveyors. While I have no immediate plans to move it might become a necessity in the coming months because of the situation here. I have 25years expeience mostly with building contractors.

Complications that I have are that I am 47, seperated with kids - so having to leave them would be the biggest wrench.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

November onwards

So long as I get hot weather that'll keep me pretty happy :D

Yes by christmas things heat up. We look forward to your attendance at a boards beers in your Munster Jersy...

Yes by christmas things heat up. We look forward to your attendance at a boards beers in your Munster Jersy...

Oh I defo will be!!! Just try and stop me from wearing it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hey guys, I'll be arriving in melbourne in December after 2 months of travelling solo, what is there to do at Christmas in Melbourne? It would be weird celebrating Christmas in the sun, I just hope I'm not on my own during Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Just over 4 weeks till me and my family take off for Brisbane,still a mountain of stuff to do but the paperwork is all done.
    I only get the butterflies for the whole event when i read this forum and hear of fellow boardies arriving and on their way there,no nails left i tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 geminiii

Hey guys!

Really enjoying this thread- thanks for all the info! Please keep us updated cupcake! How is the job hunt going?

After years of thinking about it im actually taking the plunge and going- well I havent booked as im just waiting to get the funds together but im 99% sure!. Thinking of heading to Melbourne and will probably arrive at the beginning of November- just in time for the cup!!

I just have a quick question (I did do a search but maybe my search terms were wrong)- what is the story with claiming your Irish tax back? Would I be better off waiting until January '12 or can I do it as soon as I leave? Does anyone know how it works- if I work until the end of September do I get a tax refund of 1/4 of my PAYE...) Tis very confusing. Iv been onto some of the tax refund websites but I cant seem to get the answer to those questions.

Im very excited- iv been sitting here all night on boards (very sad for a saturday night I know!). Am travelling with my friend and we would love to meet up for boards beers when we arrive if anyone is around!

Thanks in advance!

Geminiii

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

ammo123 wrote: »
    Oh which mobile broadband did you go with, I had a look at them a while ago to see which would be the best deal but my head started to hurt!

My housemate is on optus I think...I know it's lazy but what one do people think is best?

And where's Hudsons?

Check out http://www.broadbandexpert.com.au/ I was using Optus pre paid mobile BB here in south east Melbourne for a while and found it working fine but the download limit was crap on it and also seem to have to be topped up very often .

Brother in Law swears by TPG Internet

Just got the Optus BB deal into the house and loving the 20 mb donwload speed with 120 gb cab a month . 750 mb Movies downloaded in 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

geminiii wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Really enjoying this thread- thanks for all the info! Please keep us updated cupcake! How is the job hunt going?

After years of thinking about it im actually taking the plunge and going- well I havent booked as im just waiting to get the funds together but im 99% sure!. Thinking of heading to Melbourne and will probably arrive at the beginning of November- just in time for the cup!!

I just have a quick question (I did do a search but maybe my search terms were wrong)- what is the story with claiming your Irish tax back? Would I be better off waiting until January '12 or can I do it as soon as I leave? Does anyone know how it works- if I work until the end of September do I get a tax refund of 1/4 of my PAYE...) Tis very confusing. Iv been onto some of the tax refund websites but I cant seem to get the answer to those questions.

Im very excited- iv been sitting here all night on boards (very sad for a saturday night I know!). Am travelling with my friend and we would love to meet up for boards beers when we arrive if anyone is around!

Thanks in advance!

Geminiii

Go onto Revenue.ie and apply for 'PAYE Anytime', they will send you a password. From then you can apply for all the relevant forms which will show you how to apply for any tax back/ un-used credits etc

All the info is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056305970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Ozeire wrote: »
    Check out http://www.broadbandexpert.com.au/ I was using Optus pre paid mobile BB here in south east Melbourne for a while and found it working fine but the download limit was crap on it and also seem to have to be topped up very often .

Brother in Law swears by TPG Internet

Just got the Optus BB deal into the house and loving the 20 mb donwload speed with 120 gb cab a month . 750 mb Movies downloaded in 10 mins

Ya my housemate has the optus pre paid and one and said it's fine but you couldn't watch anything online with it. The BB sounds great, doubt I'll be able to get anything as good as that on prepaid dongle!

Thanks for the link :)

• Advertisement

flights are booked :D:D:D:D:D:D
    flying to Melbourne on Saturday 10th September!!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Nice,did you get a good price?

I paid E725 one way to Brisbane mid August,seemed the best considering i left it a little late.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

So you're due to arrive on Sept 11, the 10 year anniversary:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Brave!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Munstergal - Congrats on booking your flights!

Gregsor - very best of luck setting up in Brisbane! Lovely city.

Ozeire/Ammo123 - I came to the same conclusion - mobile broadband was too slow so brought it back (hassle free!) and now connected with netcorp (there was a connection in our building already so it was simple). Sorry for the dud steer on getting mobile.

Geminiii - you won't regret the decision to come over :) and it's simple enough to claim back tax , just send in a claim for a refund of tax paid by supplying the following to your local tax office (i) A completed claim form P50 (http://www.revenue.ie/forms.htm ) and (ii) your P45 (available from your employer if you are leaving your employment). If they are being picky they may ask for (iii) a completed tax return - form 11 and a statement to the effect that you will not be resident in Ireland for at least the following tax year. .... My OH sent in items (i) and (ii) and got his cheque within a couple of weeks. It's fantastic - like free money! However as you are leaving in November the cheque will be smaller (you won't have many unused credits/rate band). On the plus side you should only be taxed in Oz from date of arrival and you will be 5months into the ozzie tax year so you may benefit over here!

Giftofgab - Strangely enough the christmas thing was also on my mind, i've talked to hairdressers/other irish living here/ozzies and they all say it's a fabulous time of year here, I understand that most offices either shut or work on a go slow around that time....the only cons (it seems) are a lack of christmas music in the shops and the hot weather makes it difficult to eat like a pig all day :pac:

My update:

Work: Both myself and my OH found jobs very easily, Melbourne's economy seems to be in good shape! Also wages are significantly higher over here (in our sector anyway).....I have a dilema though :confused:- my potential employer wants me to start on a sponsored visa (457) from the begining - i'm not entirely sure I want to be tied...if anyone else has experience i'd love to here about the pros and cons of being sponsored and giving up your WHV.:)

Bargains: As I mentioned before spending euros over here is a killer right now (bad exchange rate etc). So if your on a budget Queen Victoria Market www.qvm.com.au/is a good spot for fresh fruit and veg aswell as meat. Also the Melbourne equivilant of citydeal.ie is www.scoopon.com.au/ or www.spreets.com.au.

Dentist: I need a dentist visit can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced good dentist in or around the CBD? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ammo123

Cupcake. wrote: »
    Dentist: I need a dentist visit can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced good dentist in or around the CBD? Thanks!

I'm looking for a doctor...a cheap one, if such a thing exists, CBD, Prahan, Richmond, South Yarra, or anywhere in zone 1 if cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Cupcake. wrote: »

Hey Cupcake.

If you ask anybody, they'll tell dentists are very expensive here so you'll have to grin and bare it, no pun intended!
    I chipped some teeth in NZ and was too poor to get them fixed so I had to do it here. I went to Moore Street Dental (no not some dublin city centre hole!) in Moonee ponds. Found them very reasonable and Doc Rich was very friendly and honest. My check up including 2 xrays was about $150. One tooth, i had to get a filling removed and redone (white now :)), that cost 350, $220 same for another similar procedure. One more thing to do but couldnt make it unfortunatly but all in would have been about 900 and my teeth are as good as they can be:D:D:D:D <
    this good!!
    I went for a check up with the dental network crowd and they want to give me 2 crowns on the 2 teeth mentioned about at 1700 EACH!!!
    Hope this helps

Munky

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

Munky - thanks a mill, that's really really helpful!! I had expected to pay a good bit just from looking online...for instance I was quoted €80 for a wisdom tooth extraction at home and $360 here :eek: ...but will grin and bear it as you say!! :) Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Brave!

Thats exactly what I said on post #63, you taking the piss or what...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Great minds........;)

• Advertisement

Gregsor wrote: »
    Nice,did you get a good price?

I paid E725 one way to Brisbane mid August,seemed the best considering i left it a little late.

I paid €702 with Etihad which I thought was great! They were a little cheaper last week but not by much plus they meant to be a fantastic airline so I'm happy out :D

Brave!

Brave or stupid....... Not quite sure yet! :D

I hadn't even noticed the dates until you pointed it out rightyabe - my paranoia is totally down to you now :p

Advertisement