Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Oz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

They don't hit you at the airport.

A bit rude but they draw the line at violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Zambia wrote: »
    They don't hit you at the airport.

A bit rude but they draw the line at violence.

And here's me thinking the Aussies were a rowdy bunch! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

13 days for me!!! :eek::D Thought I'd be more nervous by now, it'll probably hit me at the airport!! :o

Nothing to be nervous about we don't bit down here. You'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Hi all, sitting in Hong Kong airport (loving the free wifi!) waiting on my flight to Adelaide. To keep the nerves down leavin Dublin I tried not to think past HK can't believe am finally on the way to Oz, fairly nervous now! Not helped by barely sleeping since I got to HK on Tuesday, body clock all messed up!
    Best of luck to everyone else headin soon

blondie82 wrote: »
    Hi all, sitting in Hong Kong airport (loving the free wifi!) waiting on my flight to Adelaide.

Adelaide News headlines tommorrow

Irish tourist doubles population

• Advertisement

Adelaide News headlines tommorrow

Hahaha:D Well it will be only be doubled for 8 nights so, moving on to settle in Melbourne for awhile. Glad to do my bit while I can though ;)
    Contemplated staying there but got a distinct whiff of tumbleweed from the descriptions

Adelaide News headlines tommorrowk

Hahaha:D Well it will be only be doubled for 8 nights so, moving on to settle in Melbourne for awhile. Glad to do my bit while I can though ;)
    Contemplated staying there but got a distinct whiff of tumbleweed from the descriptions

Well i'm on the train on way home from work n Melbourne n i warn u up better have ure winter cloths . Very dark clouds over the city but still coming from Ireland u'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Been in Perth now 6 days and I think its a nice spot only i'm shocked at the ammount of asians there is here. Walking down Murray St etc I would say a good 50%+ are asian.

Hooked up withs some friends and i'm staying with them. On the saturday we landed we went out in Leederville and what a night it was!!! Was in the city earlier and should have my farm work sorted but it won't be starting for a few weeks so i'm still looking for some casual work for now. Thinking about a car now as it seems to be good for getting work.

Roll on Saturday, Rosie's is gonna be hit hard:D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

rightyabe wrote: »
    Been in Perth now 6 days and I think its a nice spot only i'm shocked at the ammount of asians there is here. Walking down Murray St etc I would say a good 50%+ are asian.

Welcome to Australia!
    I'd say there's more Asian's in Melbourne than there, most are very nice people.

rightyabe wrote: »

Welcome to Australia!
    I'd say there's more Asian's in Melbourne than there, most are very nice people.

Weather here n Melbourne has been great the last few days. like our summer n it's winter. Can't wait for the summer to c
    ome bright mornings long evenings great for BQ at the weekends.

Love Melb n anyone that comes will love it too. Great that it's now home .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Ozeire wrote: »
    Weather here n Melbourne has been great the last few days. like our summer n it's winter. Can't wait for the summer to c
    ome bright mornings long evenings great for BQ at the weekends.

Love Melb n anyone that comes will love it too. Great that it's now home .

Last few days have been nice haven't they,, really wish it stayed brighter longer, is it true that even in summer its dark pretty early?

Yes ,

@Ozeire in a few months you will recall those comments when you are hugging the air con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Saz24

Hey there,

Just arrived in Brisbane..on my own and tryin to settle in :) anyone around brisbane in the same situation, or anyone with any advice on how to feel more at home and meet people?!

Hey Saz24, can't help you cos I'm in Melbourne but just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. Was feeling grand about it till I got here but a bit apprehensive now, tis a lot to take in arriving in a new city alone with flat search/job search etc ahead of you. Hope it goes well for you.
    Any advice gratefully accepted here also!:o

We should try arrange another boards beers in Melbourne,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

i reckon drinks somewhere for the Ireland vs Australia match :)

Princess_N / Munster_gal would definitely be up for that

12 days until I leave Irish soil and counting :D

Munster_Gal, you're coming to Melbourne yeah? What are your plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerbear

woo!
    Moving to Sydney on the 21st of september--can't wait! :)

Only thing, I am traveling alone as my mate who was meant to come has had some bad news regarding her moms health and cant travel yet. I would love to have a travel companion for the flight (flying from Cork-London Heathrow-Hong Kong-Sydney) so if anyone here is on the same flight and game for a drink in between transfers, Id be delighted to hear from you!

• Advertisement

Munster_Gal, you're coming to Melbourne yeah? What are your plans?

I sure am :)
    No major plans as of yet. Staying at Oaks on Collins for the first 2 weeks while I househunt with my mate. Need to start looking for work once I land as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi all,

Well myself and the o/h are in Melbourne since Aug 24th.We were in HongKong for 1 week prior but honestly, the jetlag still has a firm grip on us both.We are wide awake til 2 or 3am most nites and then literally cant get out of bed the next day til the early afternoon!

Anyways,we have been staying the Space Hotel since we arrived.Due to leave here on wednesday but have just booked another 2 nites stay so here til friday now.
    I have to say, its a lovely hostel.I would seriously recommend it.The location is great, the kitchen is great and the security is high measure.
    My only one complaint is that no-one interacts here.Previous hostels i have stayed in in the past everyone always chatted in the kitchen & tv room etc.But its not like that here at all.That may suit most people but its nice to be nice & all that.

We both hope to pick up work asap.So far i have sent out 28 emails today alone!I am applying for welding jobs for my o/h.Once he gets a job i will start to look.No point in me looking now til i know where he is settling.
    Anyone we have spoke with so far has advised us to head to Perth.Preferably we want to stay here but if he does not get a job in the next week or so then we will have to move on i reckon.

Does anyone know where we can find cheap hostel accomodation for a double room for a weeks stay?As i said before, we really love Space but its quite expensive to stay here for another week.

Also, does anyone fancy meeting up for a drink or two? I promise we arent serial killers :D:D
    We are a Dublin couple with a friendly,open-minded attitude!
    It would just be nice to talk to a few more paddys before we forget what the accent sounds like!:p

Anyways, i look forward to all / any response:):)

I'm totally up for meeting for drinks, I've been here since July, Also from dublin, Moved over here with my daughter (BF has been working here a while) Really need to start meeting some people as spending all day everyday with a 5 year old is doing me no favours ha, I live about 20 mins from the city, about 15 from st kilda,

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mr Mister

Lucylocket, I'm actually arriving with the girlfriend (she hates when I refer to her as that!) on Thursday evening. We are staying in Space Hostel too and would be up for drinks...although probably not Thursday as I'd say we will be wrecked from the travelling. Maybe the Friday or Saturday though if that suits? I heard it was a nice hostel but like yourselves, I like a place where there is a bit of an atmosphere.

Good luck with the job hunt, luckily I'm not in too much of a rush to find anything so going to enjoy the first couple of weeks and then start looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

Welcome to OZ everyone.

I be defintitely up for a few drinks here in Melbourne too. Been living here the last couple of years with my wife who is aussie. Havent met that many Irish as havent really been in that circle. Definitely keen to meet up with a few more.

Drinks this weekend in Melbourne?

Best of luck with house and job hunting too.

Friday suits me,, Can maybe do Saturday..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Might be good idea to start a "Melbourne Beers Saturday 3rd" or something

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

hussey wrote: »
    Might be good idea to start a "Melbourne Beers Saturday 3rd" or something

Good idea. Thread started.

Finished work yesterday!! :O
    Only 7 days to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Handed inthe notice into work, flying out on the 8th Oct....can't frickin wait. Starting off in Cairns then making my way down the whole east coast where I hope to get a job in Melbourne. Anybody know if there are any jobs in banking in Melbourne for whv'ers?

Advertisement